RV Parks and popups not welcome

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by dhubka, Aug 26, 2019.

1. dhubka

dhubka New Member

Have any others seen the increase in RV parks that specifically will not reserve for popup trailers? Or is this just a west coast/California thing? We have encountered several that have told us they will not reserve a spot for us because we are popup people with no reason given other than these kind of rigs are not welcome. Thoughts?

2. Annunzi

Annunzi Member

There's a few RV parks here in BC that don't allow pop-ups, but thankfully they are few and far between. I think the rationale is they don't see pop ups as being on the same level as a full size RV, and allowing pop ups could lessen the appeal of the park for full size RV'ers. I think it's total BS as I keep my pop up in better shape than many full size RV's.

starcraft likes this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It is to keep out the rif raf

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sadly I've ran across that in a few places I've been too. One private campground didn't necessarily have the same rule so they couldn't deny me, but I'll tell you, I was treated like pond scum by everyone, RV's and staff a like. Very sad that they think popup people are like lower class. I avoid all RV parks and even some private campgrounds now. I don't run into any problems at state and national parks. At least here.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Short answer: Don't "camp" at RV Parks. They are designed to be a place to "park" your RV.

Honestly I kind of have the opposite bias: The more Class A's at a joint, the less likely I want to frequent it.

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Some places I've called won't allow anything over 10 years old. Fortunately for me, I prefer the places less frequented

7. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

You don't want to be with that sort anyway. We camp at State parks exclusively when I had the pup and now with my TT. A month or so back we camped at a state park and we ended up by all the class A motor homes. None of those people came outside but to walk their dogs. Thats it and not a one replied when I said hello. The last place we were at was about 50/50 pups and TT and everyone was out and about. Everyone said Hi and was having fun with their families.

Redbird234 and neighbormike like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

One reason I usually stay at State Parks. I have only seen this in one park in central Fl. but I am sure there are more out there, the age of the unit is another thing they use for MH's and TT's. However I do not go to these places anyway and would go stay there period

neighbormike likes this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Usually parks that prohibit popups are the resort type, often the upper echelon of those. They often have age restrictions for RVs. I was looking for an overnight stop mid-trip a couple of years ago, and found that our 2015 Retro TT was too short for a resort - not sure how they feel about the smaller Airstreams, since those are sometimes considered top cream. [The resort level KOA I stay in in Tucson a couple of times a year, usually in the deluxe cabin for our winter trip, has tent spaces as well as allowing popups. We've stopped in KOAs across the country using their tents, popups, and our 17 TT, as well as other private campgrounds, with no problems, although our favorite types of campgrounds are public ones.]
    There is an RV park in AZ that we have considered, since it's close to our friends' house - only fully contained campers are allowed, apparently due the regs placed on the campground.
    Most public campgrounds do not have restrictions on "soft sided" campers - such as tents and popups, unless there are problems like grizzly bears. These campgrounds include state and national parks, US Forest Service and COE (Corps of Engineers), county and city parks.

10. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I’ve also seen some not allow pop ups becuase most aren’t self contained. Those don’t have bath houses and instead rely on everyone just using the bathrooms in their rigs and the sewer hookup at every site. This is at least one defensible reason to do it as opposed to just arbitrarily blocking certain types of rigs, be it for age or type.

One Jellystone tried blocking pups earlier this year and the huge public backlash made them reconsider, or at least superficially, now only allowing them in 3 sites.

https://rvmiles.com/chicago-area-jellystone-reverses-no-pop-up-decision-sort-of/

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Unfortunately private RV parks and campgrounds can set their own rules as long as they don't discriminate against protected classes.

Public campgrounds are there "for the people" so they can't set arbitrary rules banning types of rigs. Legitimate reasons are safety and access limitations such as bears or narrow and curvy access roads.

As RVers/campers, we have to decide where we want to stay and purchase our rigs accordingly.

As a camper with two large dogs, a 44+ year old class C and a 21+ year old hardsided popup, I am happy at public campgrounds. I leave the RV parks and private campgrounds to others.

Bigantlers and neighbormike like this.
  12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As Toedtoes said, there are some places with size restrictions, which may effect popups, either for campsite choice, or the campground itself. We have had 6' and 8' pups, and now have a 17' TT (it's about the same length as the 8' popup was when open). We use many of the same campsites we have used since tent days, but we have gradually sized ourselves out of a few we used in places such as Grand Canyon. In SE AZ, the campground in Chiricahua NM has a length restriction, I think it's 24', because there are two (paved) stream crossings on the campground road. We've been there when folks just a tad over the length literally went scraping through the dips. The grooves in the paving are testament to the fact it happens. (I've been told, but have no confirmation, that there are boards hidden to rescue those who get really hung up in a dip.) I squeezed the 8' popup into one great site there, but only because the rear bunk could extend over the huge rocks bordering the parking section. There are still a couple of good sites for us.

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Pick a nice quiet small campground. Less chance of loud diesels and generators. And snobby person that never come out of their campers or say hello.

14. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

Some good points mentioned here either because of age or Rv type, soft sides/pop ups might not be allowed. I have never come across having a problem reserving a spot yet with my hybrid, though I have read about it. One example, a resort campground in CT (strawberry park) I remember 20 yrs ago enforced the 10 year maximum rule, then the recession came (which never left) and the rule has since disappeared. 97% of the time Rv type/age will not be a problem.

Mike

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have seen resorts like this in the Smokies on the Carolina side. My thought is that if you don’t want my business and money, fine. I will find a campground that does.

tfischer likes this.
  16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I've seen it. One close to us doesn't allow PUPs or campers older than 2000 model. The funny things is they have tent sites! When the nearby nuclear power plant was under construction they were full. The plant construction was abandoned and the last time I drove past it was almost a ghost town. Even if they changed the rules I wouldn't stay there.

17. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Interesting. I have been in over 100 campgrounds across the US and Canada and haven't run into this. I usually reserve ahead and look at campground reviews. I did get burned in Nova Scotia recently, though. The Ben Eion RV Beach Resort has only a few places for non seasonal campers. It cost me $45 (Canadian) for a site with 30 amp and water. The bathroom was 150 yards away, looked like it was built decades ago, and had the worst shower I have used (other than those with only cold water). The water came out in a trickle like the water from a 2 1/2 gallon thermos jug. It was a last minute choice to avoid going to another camp site near Sydney that had a caravan of 30 Airstreams checking in at the same time as me. (We all got off the Newfoundland ferry together.)

18. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Never realized this was something to even be worried about! Does make me wonder though, when using online reservations systems that ask for the size of your rig, should you list the size of the pup opened or closed?

19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I use opened size, but I like plenty of room. I have had the rear bunk over a drop off though. Warning, it's a real PITA to setup the rear bunk if the drop off is very steep.

20. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

LOL....I learned the hard way this past weekend that just because I can set up easy enough over a drop off does not mean I can close back up in the rain easily over same said drop off!

kcsa75 and BillyMc like this.