RV Parks and popups not welcome

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by dhubka, Aug 26, 2019.

1. cottonlily

cottonlily New Member

YES! It was one of the cons when we considering buying our second pup. We travel to Pigeon Forge, TN often and most cgs are private; some won't allow pups so I always call to be certain to avoid a very embarrassing situation! Our pup has a sink, shower and toilet and we regard it as a camper. It is a little baffling for a cg to have bathhouses yet say no pups, it obviously has nothing to do with self containment...

2. cottonlily

cottonlily New Member

I quote open because a) I want more room and b) to make sure there isn't a tree sitting where my bunk needs to slide out.

3. starcraft

starcraft Member

Are you saying PUP campers are bums?
    We never stay at the campground in the daytime. We would be bored to death. For us it is only a place park our camper to sleep in at night.
    In the daytime we would be out to explore the city and do touristy things.

4. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I have yet to find any of these type of campground restrictions. I'm sure they exist. It can be even worse for those of us who occasionally travel by motorcycle. I've found far more campgrounds that will refuse a site to a person on a motorcycle. A couple of them around the north tip of Michigan before getting across the bridge into yupper territory.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I've never seen a restriction on motorcycles. The listing I've found interesting on the updated recreation.gov site, is the line among the site specs "Equipment required: yes".

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Everyone camps differently. For many of us, the campground IS the destination, or at least part of it. That's because we camp at state and national parks, forest areas, etc. And that's why I've never run into these artificial restrictions, because we have no desire to camp in an RV Park(ing lot)

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

I stayed in one that didn't allow pop ups in Tennessee for work a few months back. I have a hard side trailer. The sites were small, basically a pad and enough room to walk from the trailer to the vehicle between a line of shrubs. It wasn't as much camping as it was a hotel room. I was at the work office and the family was going around the tourist places, then at night we went out for dinner. When we got back I'd sit on the pad without a fire and smoke a cigar with a beer for a night cap. There were not a lot of people out walking around or hanging out on the sites and with close access to the interstate there was fairly constant camper turn over during the week we were there.

I was told in passing, not by someone at the resort I stayed at, that at a lot of places it's not so much to keep pop ups out for an uppity appearance as it was to keep theft opportunity by passerbys down. With not many people around pop ups are very easy to break in to. You don't really get a chance to "know" your temporary camping neighbors like you would at a state park where more people are camping and enjoying the site and are aware to an extent. Hard side campers are a bit more difficult to break in to than pulling the velcro away from the door.

I don't know how true the above is but maybe insurance at these places costs more if pop ups are allowed due to this risk based on the assessments companies have done on the potential of increased theft so over the course of the year lost rental opportunity to pop ups doesn't account for the additional insurance premium.