RV Show Dissapointment

Discussion in 'RV Shows' started by Camper Jo, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Camper Jo

Camper Jo Member

I had been looking forward to an RV Show sponsored by Meyers RV Superstore. The Camping World stores in Churchville and Bath, NY closed and Meyers RV took them over. They were Meyers originally and then became CW.

So, it was advertised as "over 250 new & used rvs & boats in a heated 80,000 sq ft facility". I thought this would be the perfect time to start looking for my new PUP. They didn't have ANY PUPs. I couldn't believe it. They had all kinds of Class A and TTs. And they only had 2 Hybrids. I even asked to be sure I hadn't missed them. I was very disappointed!

I checked their website when I got home. They have 2 used ones listed. I guess they don't want to sell PUPs.

Has anyone else found that these shows don't include many, if any, PUPs?

Joanne

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

RV shows seldom have PopUps and if they do it is only one or two.

3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Not in the market but still went to the Pittsburgh rv show just for something to do, ShanegoDave joined me as they advertised having a return of some truck campers and airstreams after several years without, they did have some but few. Only 3 truck slide in models that where rather pricey, also 3 model airstreams ranging between 50-80 grand. But surprising enough there where several popups , plus A frames much more than years previous. So that was good to see! They also had some r pods, and similar models made by winnebego this year. (Mini drop or something like that i beleive it was called). Looked at some 5vers and motor coaches out if couriousity. But after a few. My knees started acking climbing in and out so past several up, or simply just glazed inside. One TT i did like as i came across was the Trail Runner TR 29 MSB. Bigger than i would want right now but could easily see myself in as a upcomming upgrade in the near future. With that being said, i feel the show was ok, wasnt totally disappointed in this years show but really didnt expect different.

4. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

Not quite sure where in NY you are but we went to the RV show today at HVCC sponsored by Albany RV. I think they had about 4 new pups and quite a few hybrids. The show in Springfield Mass (mid feb) has tons of pups and hybrids. The Springfield RV show is definitely worth the drive.

5. catseye

catseye all I remember is dirt...sky...dirt...ambulance

been told that a dealer can sell 10 tt's to 1 pup, so they go where the $ is. Folks are getting lazier and they see set up and maintenance as a issue salespeople don't want to deal with. It's simply easier to sell against them.

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

At the Pittsburgh RV show yesterday They may have had a dozen popups, about the same number of hybrids, and about 5 or 6 A frames.
    Its a fairly large show. The dealer we are buying our hybrid from took 80 units to the show and had a the largest amount of space leased. They had 3 hybrids and 4 popups out of 80 units.

The floor space at those shows is expensive so they are going to dedicate it to what generates the most profit. In the first 8 months of 2015 the RV industry shipped about 225,000 units classified as towables. Out of that only 6800 were classified as "folding camping trailers" and that category is not only popups but A frames and designs such as Trailmanor. That's only about 3% of total and the main reason you only see a few at a show.

What they are pushing at the shows are the 26'-30' aluminum sided stick and tin trailers. They are built the cheapest and generate the most profit.

7. Justhavefun

Justhavefun God made the Earth beautiful so we can go camping!

Yeah we have been to a few of them. Not much on folding trailers. A lot of high end stuff like A class and 5th wheels. We have been looking for new camper looking for something with a little more room probably going to TT next time. But you are right they seem to have a lot more aluminum sided trailers than mid range fiberglass with aluminum frames travel trailers. And they always try to push in 1 that is over priced or 1 thats not the right floor plan and or options. Thats why we have found it easier to order one (in the near future). Because if I invest that much money on a new TT then I want it never showed to the public and the color and options that I like. I love my popup but just want something faster to set up so i can go out west with it. A lot of National Parks out there won't even let you camp in a soft wall trailer bears I guess

8. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

It comes down to simple economics... the dealer's margin is fairly small to begin with (maybe 15- 30% of his invoice cost), out of which he has to run his business, pay his employees, service his financing, maybe even pay himself an income and put a little food on his table... ("markup" is never the same as "profit" )
    After that, he may have to eat the cost of delivery, trade-ins, and any incentives he has to offer you, to stop you going to the next dealership down the road.

So, if his margin is a %ge of the price, it makes sense to focus on the high-priced items. The overhead costs ("cost of doing business") of selling a popup are going to be very close to those for a huge travelling palace (he still has to run his business, pay the staff, etc, and they take up almost as much space on the lot), with a lot less revenue for the dealer... so, if you were a dealer, which would you stock more of?

Then there's the salesman's perspective... If he gets a commission on each unit sold, not to mention a bonus if he arranges finance, why would he want to sell me something for $10,000, when he can sell the man behind me in the line, something for half a million?

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Not true!!!

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sadly a lot of shows won't have popups at all. There is one show in Hersey, PA that I can usually find some and do enjoy attending that show. Last year they had a fewer pups and the ones i saw were more A fames, off road popups and highwalls. But I used the show to "feel out" the different dealers that may sell the brand I was looking for. So I didn't have to drive all around the country only to find out they were unknowledgeable about what I was looking for. Ultimately the shows don't give me much except for something to do and an excuse to eat fair food. :) I did learn at those shows that my family wouldn't be good fit for highwalls and that a frames give me a feeling of closterphobia. Stepped inside my very first trailmanor at that fair but had sticker shock and walked out practically seeing stars. :). I occasionally find it amazing to walk in the class A's and see how much goodies they are able to squeeze in. Then after walking threw the show I stand there wondering how I wish I was a fly on the wall as they squeezed in all these trailers in without a dent.

11. WingShot

WingShot New Member

The market seems to be a little different here in the Rocky Mountains. The light and small stuff is very popular. The last show we went to included several different dealers and there were many options.

And a "thumbs-up" to speckhunters post! We have popped our camper up all over bear country and I don't think there is any National Park that doesn't allow "soft wall" trailers. I believe there is one campground in Yellowstone that does not, but many other camping places in and around the park that have no such restrictions.

12. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Good point, Wingshot... the local demographics probably make a big difference. Here in Florida, the market is heavily weighted towards retired people with plenty of cash to spend on all the comforts, and "snowbirds" who use an RV as a winter residence for 6 months.

13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

What do you consider a lot?
    I only know of a few.

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Justhavefun
    Quicker set up and take down can be an issue, but there are very few places that prohibit ground tents or pop-ups due to bears. (I know of one, in Yellowstone.) There are many that require or highly suggest bear-safe camping practices, provide bear boxes to store food, etc. There are some private campgrounds, usually resort-type, that do not allow tents or pop-ups. The campground we were going to stay at in Tucson last fall requires that any camping unit be self-contained (i.e. has a bathroom, kitchen, etc.), but I don't remember if they actually prohibited pop-ups. (We drove through it, though we did not stay there, since the TT was at the dealer's, waiting for a warranty repair.)

We didn't get to the RV show here last year. The previous one had a mix, with a few larger pop-ups, along with some A-frame trailers, etc. plus the huge one and a few new styles for introduction. One of the larger local dealers doesn't even go to the show, but runs specials and extra radio/TV ads at that time. My assumption is that makes more monetary sense to them than taking stock and personnel to the show.

15. Justhavefun

Justhavefun God made the Earth beautiful so we can go camping!

I was talking about out west National Parks in paticular Grand Canyon. If I'm wrong I stand corrected. We love our popup but just getting tired of all the cranking mostly

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Grand Canyon is not an issue. No matter how you're camped, you do need to put away food, trash and charcoal - the ravens are amusing but persistent and creative. We've seen them punch holes in foam coolers, take cold cuts, rip charcoal bags to shreds, steal sandwiches and muffins - none of them ours. WE've camped at both North and South Rim in ground tents, pups and our TT. (Mather and Trailer Village at South Rim, Ten-X in Tusayan just outside the south entrance; North Rim itself and DeMotte (USFS) a bit north of the entrance.)

I understand about cranking being an issue. Although the drill attachment was nice for me on hot days, I still had to control the drill (keep it from twisting) and pulling the beds out, placing supports, flipping the galley and moving everything else around inside (our pups were tiny (6') and small (8') so there was a lot of things stashed into spaces and storage areas.

17. carisouth

carisouth Member

If you are in the Bath, NY area, check out Wilkins RV. They had 3 models set up and the prices were very reasonable

18. Ny_Paul

Ny_Paul New Member

May be a little late to this thread but I just went to Wilkins RV and so far have been pleased with them and their selection. Just my [2C]

19. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member