RV weight for towing?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Kristiecowans, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Hi guys,
    I want to get the A Frame style of pop up or the hybrid trailer that is small and has the two bunk ends that fold out, but need to upgrade my tow vehicle as it maxes out at 3700lbs-does anyone on here know how much either of these weigh? Thanks!

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Kinda hard to guess, when we don't know what model trailers you are looking at

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

It probably depends on which model with which options you choose. The manufacturers new weight system is getting closer to accurate but study towing acronyms before you search. GVW for example is always less and tells you how much the stock camper weighs often with nothing added. Propane tanks, water tanks, toilets/showers, all add to that base number. And your vehicles “tow capacity” usually doesn’t include anything but the driver and a tank of gas. Add in 2 more passengers, food, clothing, general camping stuff and u quickly deduct 6-800 lbs of that number. Good luck

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

it would help to know what models you are looking at. The forest river web site gives you the specifications for their current new models and based on that - their A frames are all between 3000 to just under 4000 lbs (combine the unloaded weight and the cargo capacity to get the total gross weight). The smallest two bunk hybrid is going to be over 5000 lbs. you should also pay attention to the tongue weight (called hitch weight on the web site) - the hitch weight posted on the web site is unloaded but once loaded with propane tanks, battery and your stuff inside the trailer, that weight should be in the range of 10 -15% of the gross camper weight. This tongue weight will need to be within the hitch rating of your tow vehicle and should be also be within the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle plus whatever else you put in the vehicle (people and stuff).

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

GVW Gross Vehicle Weight is the max the trailer will (should weigh) fully loaded..

Dry Weight (a fictional weight number used to sell trailers) is the weight of the lightest smallest trailer of a particular y/m/m and doesn't include the things like propane tanks, spare tire, awning, air conditioner or any options..

UVW Unloaded Vehicle Weight (or as shipped weight) will include most things that are not included in the dry weight, with exception of stuff added by the dealer. This can include items like a/c, dual propane tanks, battery and bike rack..

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

There's probably a weight range from <1500lbs to >5000lbs in those categories. Suggest you do a bunch of homework, go to an RV show and see what you could live with, then decide if you're prepared to upgrade your tow vehicle. Otherwise just enjoy a little Aliner Scout with your present vehicle.

7. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

I have a Coleman Sea Pine that I just love, but want a bathroom in my RV now. Plus, we do a lot of tent camping w/our friends that don't have a pop-up and they tend to chose remote camping sites that are always at the end of a deleterious dirt road lined with giant boulders! In short-I want to upgrade from my minivan to a truck anyways, but while I'm at it might as well be forward thinking, right? ;) I was thinking that I needed to go to an RV dealership and just ask a salesman, but I thought this would be quicker, thanks anyways!

8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Aliner offers an off road package, we have a Ranger 10, they have a Titanium Ranger 10 or 12 w/ 15" rims/tires...think most of theirs average at the most dry around 2,000 lbs, some I think come equipped w/ a crapper/shower... http://aliner.com/

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Don't ask a salesman! RV salesmen are notorious for saying you can tow anything with anything.

Instead, look at specs for the trailers you are considering. Use the heaviest trailer as your guide.

GVWR - this is the max weight that the trailer is rated for. This is a good starting point.

CCC - this is the cargo capacity. Look at this number to make sure you have enough capacity to carry your gear (some trailers may only have 300lbs of CCC - meaning filling the fresh water tank could use up all your available gear allowance).

Hitch weight - this is usually about 15% of the actual weight of the trailer. You can use 15% of the GVWR to get a good estimate.

Now, find a truck that has a towing capacity greater than the GVWR of the trailer.

Next, look at the payload of the truck. This is how much weight can be put IN the truck AND on the hitch. Add up the weight of your passengers, any gear you will be putting in the truck and in the bed. Then add the estimated hitch weight of the trailer. If this total is less than the payload, then you are good to go.

10. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Aliners and Chalets tend to weigh less than comparable Forest River a-frames. They also cost more. The largest Aliner is the Expedition. It can be ordered with "dormers" - not with bunk ends that pull out. The non-off-road model has a GVWR of 3,000 lbs.

11. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

My 21 ft starcraft hybrid weighs just over 5100 lbs and has a slide out for the dining room/living room. My SIL's Hybrid is just over 3000 lbs. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018