Said YES to a 239TBS

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
Well. At long last, I called the salesman and said Yes to a new 2015 Starcraft 239TBS.
My Reese SC WDH arrived from etrailer last week.
Now it's just a matter of waiting for all the paperwork and the trailer to arrive. Should have it by next week.

Can't wait to get the family out for our first trip in it. The kids have been itching all summer.

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
We were on the fence between the 229TB and the 239TBS and concluded that the slide would make the floor space much more usable. Especially when the sofa is folded into a bed.

First mod on the list? Rampant and thorough mouse proofing. Biblical scale. Galvanized steel mesh, galvanized steel sheet metal, stainless steel wool. Possibly changing some floor penetrations to bulkhead fittings, etc.

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
Dealer called. It should be in by Monday.

I mounted the ball to the mount yesterday. Do you know what 400 lb-ft of torque is? It's a LOT. Sheesh!

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
JimmyM said:
Dealer called. It should be in by Monday.

I mounted the ball to the mount yesterday. Do you know what 400 lb-ft of torque is? It's a LOT. Sheesh!
I took my hitch head to a propeller shop. , told them i needed 400 pound of torque, we had a big long breaker bar, and 3 fat guys putting everything we had on to it, dont know if it is 400 pounds, but it,s pretty darn tight! Lol

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
vagov said:
I took my hitch head to a propeller shop. , told them i needed 400 pound of torque, we had a big long breaker bar, and 3 fat guys putting everything we had on to it, dont know if it is 400 pounds, but it,s pretty darn tight! Lol
3 fat guys on a breaker bar. Oh. I think you got it!

tonyshell

Mar 8, 2013
JimmyM said:
Well. At long last, I called the salesman and said Yes to a new 2015 Starcraft 239TBS.
My Reese SC WDH arrived from etrailer last week.
Now it's just a matter of waiting for all the paperwork and the trailer to arrive. Should have it by next week.

Can't wait to get the family out for our first trip in it. The kids have been itching all summer.

Congratulations. We were out looking today at the 229TB. :) So close to crossing to the Gray side. We love the room and openness of our bayside but getting tired of the up and down. This year alone we've been caught in a hailstorm, fog/downpour and tornado warning. Looked at hardsides and they are just to dark and claustrophobic. The three bunks really make it feel open.

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
Wizfisher said:
Congrats. We have a 2012 229TB and love it.
We have 2014 229TB.

With kids you will appreciate the slide out, ours gets crowded w DW and I and 2 80# dogs.

On the WDH, I have 600# springs and my TW is 600# (I have added a HF Steel Tongue Box behind the LP tanks).

You should weigh yours when you have a chance, just to know.

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
Nice Hybrid, but I had to "fix" a number of items when we got it such as:

* Hot Water heater inlet was not tightened and flooded the front of the trailer
* valance over the side bed was loose and needed to be secured
* needed to re-caulk the shower liner
* adhesive to the stripping around door
* will need to replace the canvas on at least one bed since it de-laminated in places, and small holes in the seams

All relatively minor things, but you should thoroughly check it out during the warranty period.

Also, if you are going to put a cover on it, look thru the suggestions for covering the rain spouts so not to tear the cover.

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
Got it home!
The PDI was pretty good. That guy knew his stuff. All kinds of tips along the way. We did find a bad gas strut on the awning and they've ordered a new one. I set up the WDH while I was there, but need to adjust. The nose of the truck lifted 1" (at the wheel arch) with the bars in place. Plenty of room to increase tension. They're 800 lb bars. Even with too little tension, the ride was amazingly good. No porpoise-ing. ZERO sway. The front end felt a little light, but that's my only complaint. I may have just been overly sensitive.
The brake controller (InSIGHT) was pretty easy to set. The TV doesn't feel like it's getting pushed by the trailer.

I'll be going through it with a fine tooth comb this weekend as well as taking lot of pics. The doing the PDI said that I'll notice little things, just make a list for when I bring it back for the gas strut install.

One thing though, the Reese SC WHD is a bit of a pain hooking up the bars because of the propane tank cover.

I gave the water fittings a good long look for leaks. Thanks for the heads up.

One thing... It already HAS LED lights in the interior. Scratch that project.

Ductape

Super Active Member
Jun 12, 2013
Looking forward to some pics.

On my trailer, I had to trim the bottom of the propane tank cover. Doesn't effect anything, and makes it easier to get the clips in for the snap up brackets.

Come on up to NH over Labor Day, we are headed to the WMNF for the long weekend !

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
Ductape said:
Looking forward to some pics.

On my trailer, I had to trim the bottom of the propane tank cover. Doesn't effect anything, and makes it easier to get the clips in for the snap up brackets.

Come on up to NH over Labor Day, we are headed to the WMNF for the long weekend !

I'm thinking of trimming the cover too. It doesn't have snap up brackets and chains. The handle that lifts the bars into the saddles hits the cover. I'll see if I can clearance it somehow. Also, the yellow plastic handle cover keeps sliding off. I'll probably clean it with acetone or alcohol and use some Amazing Goop to hold it on.
This is going to be a busy weekend.
Mostly doing mouse proofing.
There are also wire nuts, of all things, holding some battery wires together. Exposed to the elements. That'll get replaced.

Also I think I found the perfect spot for my fridge temperature display.

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
I got it home last week but had to immediately leave for a family vacation, then work out of town this week. So I've barely had time to even look around in it. This weekend will be a lot of inspection and other work. It's gorgeous. Wife LOVES it.
I'll get a bunch of pics of the stuff I do this weekend.
The PDI at CampingWorld of Berkely was really good. Tips, tricks, gotchas, etc. Guy knew his stuff.

Need to tweak the WDH a little too.

Oh. Also, it comes with LED interior lights already. I was sort of looking forward to converting them and doing the before and after power consumption comparisons. I'm sore I can come up with some other stuff to do [}:)]

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
Here are a couple of pics of the new camper.
Camper_Pic2_zps6u3ylgbp.jpg

Camper_Pic1_zpsekkcgucg.jpg