Sale on Jackerys

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
WHAAAA?? Harbor Freight????

Harbor Freight, the "just good enough" store??

Harbor Freight, the "I got it at HF because I was too cheap to pay for quality tools" store?

Harbor Freight, the "I got it at HF because then I won't care if it breaks" store?

That instantly lowered my opinion of Jackery. I have read many times that Jackery was the "Cadillac" of solar generators. Now I guess it's the Chrysler K-Car.

Disclaimer: I own many (and I mean, MANY) Harbor Freight tools and a Jackery, so back off. I can have that opinion. ;)
Harbor Freight?...The dollar store of tools and equip?
Im kidding...i have a ibuture
Only because it was on sale and the LED light drew me in

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
There's some discussion elsewhere if Harbor Freight version will have a cheaper/lower quality version, or if they are just testing out marketing through big box stores since Jackery is also listing Home Despot on their "where to buy" page.

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
WHAAAA?? Harbor Freight????
Disclaimer: I own many (and I mean, MANY) Harbor Freight tools and a Jackery, so back off. I can have that opinion. ;)
Hopefully HF won't have their in-house names 'Chicago Electric' or 'Pittsburg' ("Built to Chinese inscrutable knock off specs and impeccable hit-or-miss QA inspection.") appended to the Jackery name. LOL
** Same dislclaimer as above. I love HF. I don't go often, but 'if' I get out spending < $100, it was a cheap visit! ;o)

HF product plug... After a friend has been using their ≈$70 electric 9" chaisaw that's on an extension pole many time on his big an small trees and his high recommendation, I got one. OMG! Kind of like my first cordless drill (which I resisted... "How much different can it be that my plug-in" HAH! ), I don't know why I did nor= have this years ago. We don't know, what we don't know. But in the modern era, friends don't let friends NOT own a cordless drill!

jeepster04

Nov 23, 2010
Besides the fancy stuff, whats the advantage of one of these over a typical deep cycle battery that I would already have on the camper? 240 watt hours is not that good. I suppose the pure sine would be handy, but Ive never needed it.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Besides the fancy stuff, whats the advantage of one of these over a typical deep cycle battery that I would already have on the camper? 240 watt hours is not that good. I suppose the pure sine would be handy, but Ive never needed it.

It depends on what you already have. If you have an electrical system that runs on a deep cycle it would be cheaper just to stay that way, (or maybe convert to lithium eventually as the prices come down).

For my case I don't have an electrical system, or utilities in my pop-up, so it's a very flexible/convenient way to run/recharge my interior and exterior camp lights, recharge devices, and run a 12 volt electric blanket over night when the wife is cold. (I bought a 500 watt hour model) They are convenient plug-and play units. They have a built-in controller so you can connect them directly to a solar panel without having a separate charge controller (hence the "solar generator" nickname for them), and they come with adapters to recharge them via regular outlet, or cigarette lighter style jack. They are also very portable. Yesterday I took mine out to the far corner of my yard to run a weed whacker without running a cord all the way from the garage. But no, I wouldn't have bought one if I had a camper that was already set up for a deep cycle.

Dave Brick

El Cheapo Family Camper
Nov 29, 2010
My kids (and wife) burn through cell phone charge in a day. My wife is working on her doctorate and will need to work from camp this summer, so will need to keep a laptop charged. My solution is a 100W solar panel to charge my Ninjabatt (Jackery knockoff), and a second 100W solar panel with controller to keep the house battery topped off. We use the Ninjabatt to charge devices, and the house battery for everything else. The Solar "generator" really comes in handy, very portable and usable for running things way at the back of the property rather than hauling a 50 lb flooded battery and Inverter around. I think the Ninjabatt weights about 7 lbs. It charges impressively quickly on solar.

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
Costco has a Cat 1000 peak amp Digital Jump Start #1418644
Reg. $99 on sale until 7/12/21 for $79.99. Is this the same type of device as the Jackery? Or is it similar enough to get instead for the price to use similarly for camping? I'm at Costco now. I may by it and return if it is not the best choice.

It says nothing about clean power or pure sine wave. :eek:/

Last edited:

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Costco has a Cat 1000 peak amp Digital Jump Start #1418644
Reg. $99 on sale until 7/12/21 for $79.99. Is this the same type of device as the Jackery? Or is it similar enough to get instead for the price to use similarly for camping? I'm at Costco now. I may by it and return if it is not the best choice.

It says nothing about clean power or pure sine wave. :eek:/

Those are more designed for an occasional burst of power to get your vehicle started. Some of them do have USB ports so you can use them as an occasional power bank to charge devices. But a Jackery, (or Bluetti, or Rockpals) type power station has more features and is better designed for providing power over several hours and more frequent recharging.

Last edited:

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
Those are more designed for an occasional burst of power to get your vehicle started. Some of them do have USB ports so you can use them as an occasional power bank to charge devices. But a Jackery, (or Bluetti, or Rockpals) type power station has more features and is better designed for providing power over several hours and more frequent recharging.
Thank you. I did not buy it when I realized it did not mention clean power or pure sine wave for sensitive devices like a laptop. But if you just used a charger w/o pure sine wave with a laptop, iPad, OFF charge the battery, not to run, are device batteries (Li-ion, NiMH, NiCd) negatively affected in any way? This $80 Cat Digital Jump Start does claim to have a similar capacity 200 watt power Inverter, but says nothing about Ah or Mah of it's battery. :huh:
One Youtube review says in the comments:
"It’s a 12v 9ah SLA battery it’s about what you would find in a motorcycle. It should be good For a few hundred cycles and can be switched out."

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Thank you. I did not buy it when I realized it did not mention clean power or pure sine wave for sensitive devices like a laptop. But if you just used a charger w/o pure sine wave with a laptop, iPad, OFF charge the battery, not to run, are device batteries (Li-ion, NiMH, NiCd) negatively affected in any way?

Afraid I haven't looked into that end of things, but I would think just charging wouldn't be a problem. I've charged my iPad off of similar things occasionally and haven't had any problems, but perhaps I've been lucky.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Hobotech just did a decent real-life review of what you can power and how long with a Jackery 1000 that might be of interest to people.