Saltwater fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Campinginga, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Campinginga

Campinginga New Member

I love my saltwater fishing, Best place so far is Hunting Island SC to fish. If you camp in the state park you can fish on the pier (open 24/7) free and no licenses required. I have caught some very nice redfish there. In three days I released 22 fish because of over length to keep (40-48 inches).
    This place is about 30 miles north of Savannah, Ga.

2. cma7777

cma7777 Member

We have never been to Hunting Island but my two DSs love to fish at Huntington Beach State Park SC. We will have to check out Hunting Island. Thanks for the post.

3. So.Cali

So.Cali New Member

I'm a salt water guy myself. I fish mostly out of San Diego, and might camp on my boat. More often it is just a day trip. We had a great season for Yellowfin Tuna, and other pelagics.

4. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

We do Little Talbot Is. SP here in Jax but the north Jetties are better (Huguenot Park).

5. WingShot

WingShot New Member

I grew up fly-fishing for trout throughout the Rocky Mountains. Several years ago my father retired to a small island off the South Western Coast of Florida. Prime fishing for red-fish and snook in the mangroves, and a short boat ride to intercept the tarpon run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have also spent quite a bit of time sight casting to feeding fish in the surf. Catching fish from the beaches along the Gulf of California and throughout the Yucatan Peninsula of South East Mexico. I bring a fly-rod where ever we travel (including our honeymoon 20+ years ago) and the Princess likes the beach.

My favorite fish out of the salt, this 65 pound rooster. Landed off the Western coast of Costa Rica.

[​IMG]

Wow! I was a fatty that Spring in Coasta Rica!! Dropped a 100#'s since then. Life is good.

6. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Congratulations WingShot, a trophy fish for sure. Do you have any video of the fight to bring the rooster fish in? We occasionally go surf fishing along the mid Texas coast line...Rock Port to North Padre Island...a good variety of fish. Reds, Speckled trout, red and black drum, flounder, sharks, stingrays in shore. Tarpon, marlin, ling, snapper...Jack crevelle, Dolphin fish species, (golden dorado)... Triple Tails...all offshore. We keep R&R&T ( rod reel, tackle ) with us just incase were near the coast. I practice catch and release...unless someone is near I will give them the fish if is is legal size. Thanks for sharing....Txbum

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Been to Hunting Island several times and haven't caught the 1st fish yet.
    But Capers Island is a different story

8. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Thanks, Txbum. That fish was a lot of fun, no video but here are a few shots from the fight. It took 50 minutes and at times I would have every ounce of my weight and strength into it and the fish wouldn't move. Coming from a trout fishing background, the two things that really struck me when I started in the salt; were the variety of fish available and how strong they all are. I remember one day where we landed eight different species! I spend a lot of time day-dreaming about hunting and fishing in Texas, as well as popping up the camper on the beach! One of these days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tsubeta04

tsubeta04 New Member

Thanks for the pointers on sc! That's on my to do list. Heard the tide swings can be pretty drastic up there.

That rooster fish is one hell of a catch. And on the fly! That's even better! A rooster on the fly is at the top of my fly list.

If you haven't, I STRONGLY suggest heading to sportsmanship paradise. (Louisiana) for any fishing. The wife and I love to fish. Especially on the fly

Fought big boys like these on 8wts and man was it fun. Hope to be there in march again.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2012 jayco jay series 1206
    2008 GMC Sierra

10. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

WingShot, is that a Snook you have in middle picture? Gabe (tsubeta) nice red fish...tell us are the rules in Louisiana much different from Texas fishing for reds?

11. tsubeta04

tsubeta04 New Member

The rules are much more liberal there than compared to what we have here in Texas.

I've fished the Galveston waters on and off for almost 25 years and have had plenty of good days on the water, but it pales in comparison to Louisiana.

Check out the pic attached.

Trout- 12 inches at 25 per person
    Reds- 16 in. At 5 per person
    Flounder- no size limit at 10 per person

2008 GMC Sierra

12. tsubeta04

tsubeta04 New Member

[​IMG]

Check it out Richard,

2008 GMC Sierra

13. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Sorry, guys, didn't mean to imply that rooster was on a fly. We were trolling live bait about a mile off-shore.

Yes, Txbum. That's a snook in the second picture. Fun, aggressive fish.

Tsubeta04, those are some serious reds! Well done. And those fishing regs seem very liberal as well. In Florida your only allowed one red between 18"-27", and one snook 28"-33". And only four trout per day, 15"-20".

14. tsubeta04

tsubeta04 New Member

That's my mistake wingshot. Went back and re read the post. A hell of a catch no less.

You hooked onto tarpon on the fly down there in fl? The wife and I are looking forward to tarpon sometime in the near future.

Those reds were a blast to cast and you're right about the regulations. My first trip out there we kept catching and catching and the guide kept putting them in the cooler. Finally I had to ask the capt. About the regulations and he broke it down for me.

Here along the Galveston coast the regulations have been a hot topic for years. I definitely see where they're coming from. I hear folks talk about how good the fishing was here long ago so I can see why the regs are so strict. I also learned quickly not to ask about how tournaments affect out fisheries. That's a can of worms right there.

Tight lines,

2008 GMC Sierra

15. So.Cali

So.Cali New Member

I tried to post pics, but I can't seem to get them in here

16. WingShot

WingShot New Member

tsubeta04, several "baby" tarpon in the canals around my Dad's place. But for a trout fishermen they put up quite a tussle. And calling in turkeys may be the only thing that gets my blood pumping more then sight casting to tailing fish. Any tailing fish! I have yet to hook a big one, both my father and brother have tagged ones in the 80-100# range.

For the most part, specific regulations don't affect me too much as I generally don't keep many fish. But the first slot limit red in Fl. is usually dinner. And every once in a while I'll target some stocked rainbows to keep the mother-in-law happy. I certainly don't mind people keeping a couple of fish for the table, but don't see much need to kill 30-40 fish day. Everywhere I've ever been, they talk about how good the fishing used to be. My experience in Fl. has been that environmental conditions have far more effect on the fishery then fishing pressure.

So.Cali, would love to see your pictures. First, you have do download them to a photo hosting website (I use shutterfly.com). "Copy" the URL Address from there, then click on the "Insert Image" button towards the top of the reply window (first button, second row). "Paste" the URL where the cursor is, between what are called "Image Tags". Search the forum, there are probably better instructions here.