Salvaged title?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Enigmacamper, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

I found a used camper within 9 hrs away that fits a lot of what we were looking for. However it is discounted (private sale) pretty significantly because it has a salvaged title. Apparently at one point it was stolen and the insurance company paid the claim before it was recovered.

So it does not APPEAR that there was any damage causing the salvaged title (other than locks and door seal need to be replaced, seller was upfront) but other than future resale, is there anything I should be aware of considering a salvage title camper?

Thanks!!!

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Check with your insurance agent. I looked at a car a few years ago that had a salvage title. There were one or two caveats, but it didn't seem like a big deal to me.

You don't say anything about the camper. How old, how much money you're talking about etc. A lot of the Pups people talk about on this forum, probably aren't worth worrying about, regardless of condition. I also have an old boat. I carry liability insurance, but if it were to start sinking, I'd grab a life vest, swim to shore and not worry about it. [:)C]

3. Enigmacamper

Duh I should have put that in :) It's a 2014 Aliner Ranger 12, seems in nice shape.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay more than 60% of book value for a salvaged title camper, car, or motorcycle regardless of the reason for the marked title.

theseus likes this.
  5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

^X2

6. Enigmacamper

Hmmm, the asking price is discounted but definitely not that much. It's about 3k off of average retail for the age/model. I think paying 60% would put it at more than 4k off.

7. Enigmacamper

Is that only due to resale value, or are there other considerations I'm not aware of?

8. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Surely a stolen camper does not mean it's salvaged. I'm not an insurance guy though. I bought a popup without a title and it was just fine. It was $500 and in georgia didn't require a title. I would take someone over with you who really knows A-liners to see if there's any hidden damage. Water? Axle bent? Don't know...

9. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Just saw it was 9 hours away. I don't think I'd go for it.

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

In some states you would find it hard to transfer a salvage title or even get it titled in the first place. I am surprised though that the insurance company didn't clean the title after they acquired it.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My Cousin (in Fl.)bought a TT new, after a couple of years a leak had surfaced that he was un-aware of, he took it to CW and they checked it over and said the roof needed replacing, his insurance co. totaled the unit, but also paid for the roof replacement $ 8000.00 Then they offered to sell him his TT back for a small fee,$ 1000.00 long story short, he had to get a salvage title a salvage title, he needed all info. from CW , insurance company etc. and had to have the TT inspected (by CW,or another dealers service dept.) to make sure it repaired and was road worthy, once he got all the paperwork he was issued a salvage title, he can do whatever he wants with the TT and the salvage title is transferable. Other states might have similar laws or different laws but a call to the DMV could answer that for you. As for the price I would venture to say that the price may be a little high but as par as the title you would need to make that judgement. Good Luck and Happy Camping

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If it was a car then I would worry about the salvage title. As long as you can register it in your state , I wouldn't hesitate because of a salvage title.

kcsa75 likes this.
  13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I wouldn't hesitate either. However I wouldn't pay full price.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. 1380ken

No doubt that you can use the salvage title as a negotiating weapon.

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would check with your DMV if this is in a different state to see if there is anything special you need to do/get to get it transferred. Every state is different and some make you jump through a slew of hoops.

16. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Financing and insurance are often difficult with salvaged titles

17. 1380ken

I don't even have a title for my camper.

18. Enigmacamper

Im in Illinois, I'm not sure the title rules here but they're probably pretty difficult. The owner bought it from an RV dealer who told them the theft was the reason for the salvage title so the story has gone through the telephone line a little bit, though the owner claims really no damage but a ding on the hitch and the locks being messed up and the door seal.

Though, I don't have anyone I know who knows more about Aliners than I do (which isn't saying that much when it comes to evaluating one for purchase) and the 8+ hours makes this a real gamble. Though the seller did indicate he's open to offers but he's gotten two other recent bites as well so it probably wouldn't come down too much.

19. Enigmacamper

I didn't know about this. Would there be an issue transferring from MN title to IL?

20. Enigmacamper

A call to the DMV is a really good idea. I wonder why there isn't more paperwork all this if it was inspected etc? I believe the seller is being very honest, I'm wondering why the dealer he bought it from didn't have some paperwork accompanying it. Or maybe it does have it and I just didn't ask that question :)