Santee State Park-Santee,SC

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by campinggordons, Feb 21, 2015.

1. campinggordons

campinggordons New Member

Great park has two different sections. It's usually pretty quite if you get up front closer to the pier, lakeside they call it. The other section has a little more space but tends to have louder guests. Both take very good care of the bath houses. There's trails to walk and we always enjoy going out and seeing the alligator in the pond,last year there were babies. A fair amount of stuff to do locally but not a ton. We go there because we only live about an hr away

2. campinggordons

UPDATE:
    We're going to Santee 2/19/16 we've already been told 1 whole section of the campground is totally shut down because of the flooding and they do NOT know when it will reopen. That means that they have only like 40 spots avab. I'm going to try and take some pictures this weekend as well.

3. campinggordons

We just returned home 2/21 and I wanted to update. There is in fact only 1 section open, and the staff said they're not remotely sure when the other will be open. The bath houses were in better condition however,the water pressure was horrible, this was the first time we'd had that issue.
    The next is something has happened to change the cell phone signal, we had always had good signal with Verizon this time it basically there was no signal at all. Spoke to several people who were staying long term there and one of them went and bought a pre-paid AT&T phone and was able to get signal but said data was hit or miss. We've stayed at Santee many times and this was a first.

4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

UM. HI CAMPINGGORDONS..

I see you have been to Santee state park..in 2015..

we were considering that as one of our options.

Have you been back recently? Any New reports on the area?

5. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

We've probably been to Santee SP 4-5 times over the last few years, just for one night stops. Last year we stayed on the new loop by the office. Didn't check out the old larger area a couple miles away (where we have always stayed in the past.)

We usually do a winter trip or 2 to FL and Santee is a convenient stop for us. (We do a marathon drive for the first day, arrive at Santee late, than try to do 3-4 hr hops for the next couple weeks - this coming year will be 3 weeks I think. ;) )

Anyway we think Santee we is a nice park, nice rangers. Nice fish too. Just looked for a pic of me holding up a ~10lb bass from Santee back in the late 80's or early 90's but couldn't find it. Used to go down there every spring with a bunch of guys from NH. Must be on a backup drive. ;)

Santee from a couple years ago:
    [​IMG]

6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

THANKS for the reply... looks great...

.. um sure love the look of that.. "looks like SUNSET?

Shade trees, lake, peaceful, QUIET ..lol .. that is my kind of camping there..

7. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Honestly don't remember if that was sunrise or sunset... Also, we're there in winter where it is easy to get a waterfront site. I suspect it is different in the warmer months. Never been to the state park in the warmer months. When we used to fish there we towed our boats down and stayed in the fish camps mid-lake. Last year it was during that east cold snap in Jan and I think it was 17F when we woke up.

8. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY Member

I'm glad I came across this post. My wife & I are spending Dec. thru Feb. in Orange Beach, AL in a condo and the first half of March at Big Lagoon S.P. FL in our Aliner. We were looking for a campground for the last 1-2 weeks of March to stay on our way back to NY. We have booked a site at Santee for March 15-22 and depending on the weather (NY & SC) we may extend our stay.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

How are the baby sized mosquitoes down there around Lake Marion... Seems like everywhere we have gone in that SC area we get loads of those small mosquitoes to deal with. They are so small they don't even slow down for the screens in the window haha... This was camping inside the Francis Marion Natl Forest areas along the Coast line not too far away from US17 that goes thru that part of SC... We was always hoping the in-flow of air from the coast line would keep them at bay - no luck hehe,,,

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]