Sasquatch Sightings

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by lbcarr87, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Unstable, with all your boondocking in the PNW, haven't you seen or heard anything suspicious?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Man, I'm always looking and always hopeful. I camp right in the heart of Sasquatch area a lot but so far have never seen a thing.

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

:) Would it be safe to say,like many of the pics we have seen of him before, if you did see him up close, you may have an "unstable tripod"? [CAM]

4. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I have worked as a logger for 25 years ,I have worked all over Idaho , Washington and Montana and I have seen more elk ,deer and moose then most have, yet in all the years of being in some of the most remote areas I have only seen 2 cougars in the wild and I live in a region with a large population of cougars. I have never seen a Lynx or a Martin but yet they excist, Idaho has badgers I have in all my years of working , hunting , fishing and camping have never seen one. If you have never been to a road less area or a wilderness area you have know idea how huge an area these can be and what could be out there.
    There was a small owl or owlet discovered in 1976 , it was then lost to science and thought to be extinct ...until in 2007 when guess what there it was again, now if you take the number of ornithologists that lost this bird for 30 years and compare that number to people hunting bigfoot it would be a difference of 1000's of hunters and yet they lost this owl for 30 years . My point is just because you don't see doesn't mean its not there, they didn't find any of this owls bones either .

5. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Idahawk, I can relate now.
    I have lived in many places from the east coast to the west coast, over a number of years from the fifties.
    Back east have seen a lone Red fox which my Beagle thought was another dog. Also a fast flying Woodcock while growing up.
    In the west have seen one time only a weasel, a badger, and even an antelope. And they did not escape from zoos, even though I was (in those instances) about 10 miles from heavily populated cities.
    I think I have changed my opinion about Sasquash and all his relatives.
    Be interesting if this thread mutated to members who have seen once some creature they thought they would never see.

6. 1madscot

1madscot Member

...maybe that explains all those cans of Alpo someone keeps leaving on my front porch... [;)]

7. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

First wild animals are afraid of us. They hear us coming...they hide..they don't want to be seen or found. Bigfoot is probably the same but a bit smarter....he sees from a distance what we do to everything, from making ALOT of noice with cars and trucks, to building large hydro dams, chain saws cutting down HIS forest, to pollution, garbage everywhere. Now put yourself in his "feet", would you really want to be seen or found out by humans, not knowing what they would do to you or your family? I sure wouldn't, humans are the most terrifying creatures on this planet...don't believe me, turn on the news!

JJ

8. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

Right on, Yellowkayak!

9. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

This is a touchy subject for a lot of people. Most people are reluctant to share any experiences due to fear of ridicule. Only after convincing people that they will not be ridiculed and often waiting for several years after the fact do people come forward, and when they do, they still wish to remain anonymous.

That being said, if the subject does interest you, head on over to www.bfro.net where they maintain a comprehensive database of sighting reports. There are more reports there than you can probably read in a lifetime and it will certainly keep you busy.

10. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

"The truth will set you free"................
    or in modern times " The truth is out there".

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Ohhhh so true! What other creature would go to such great lengths to destroy themselves and the natural world around them in the name of race, creed, religion, and politics.

12. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

That's why we have them running the Roswell and JFK cover-ups. They're damn good at cover-ups.

13. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Well, here you go. Having grown up in Louisiana, I had 2 black panther sightings long ago, a creature that many have claim to have seen, (some recently) but scientists stubbornly refuse to believe exists. The first was in the fall of 1973 when I was riding my 1972 Honda XL 250 in the hills near Enon Louisiana, just south of the Bogue Chitto swamp. Two noisy dirt bikes came around a turn on HWY 437, then little more than a dirt logging road. They passed me heading north while I was going south between 3:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon. The cat was on a ledge 8-10 ft. high overlooking the road. He lept into the road to cross in front of me, not hearing my quiet motorcycle for the noise of the passing 2 stroke bikes. He landed in the middle of the road not 30 ft. in front of me. At first he appeared to be leaping directly on me, but I soon realized that he was as startled of me as I was of him. He was very long, all stretched out, appearing to stretch across almost the entire road, possibly 7-8ft long from the tip of itÂ’s tail to the stretched out front paws, disappearing in a second into the woods.

My second black panther sighting was in either 1977 or 78. I was bow hunting just south of Abita Springs, La. walking on the railroad track where the St. Tammany trace is now located. As I rounded a bend, heading south maybe an hour after daybreak I saw a large black cat walking the tracks in the same direction I was heading, about 1/4 mile ahead of me. It evidently heard or smelled me, because it turned its head to look at me and then slowly walked off the tracks to the east into the woods. At that time I judged the length of the head and body (not counting the long tail) to be only slightly shorter than the distance between the train tracks. At first I thought it was just a large house cat until it turned sideways and I noticed that the head was on one rail while the upturned tail projected over the other rail - a 56 1/2" distance.

If these large cats exist, virtually unknown to science except for eye witness sightings (similar to bigfoot and other cryptids), why couldn't a highly intelligent, nocturnal hominid type creature with acute senses (who might even bury their dead) effectively hide themselves from us? It's obvious that if such a creature does exist, which I believe is likely due to the vast number of sightings over the years, hiding itself from its dominant competitor (us) is its survival strategy.

Chip

14. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I was at a camp ground where some one said they seen one. Come to find out it was just me without a shirt on going to the showers. [LOL] [:)C]

15. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

Having been on the outskirts of the Cascades, I could believe that there is something in there. But I haven't seen anything to convince me there is. In a few weeks we are going to be spending some time around Mt. Lassen and then over in the redwoods. I'll let you know if I see anything. (I'd doubt there is anything like that in the southeast, with all the indians and farming around there I'd expect there would have been more sightings in the past.)

@ UT - I have seen a marten in the wild. We used to do a special New Years Day Cross Country ski trip out of Badger Pass with the rangers in Yosemite. We had stopped for lunch, and were discussing various animals we had already seen a few coyotes. One of the skiers asked, "You ever seen a Marten?", The Ranger, "No, they are out here but you won't see one." "Are they about 2 feet long and look like an expanded weasel?" "Yeah, but you won't see one." "OK, but everybody else turn around very slowly to see what we won't see." There was a marten about 10 feet away. I guess it heard us and decided to come take a look.

16. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Here's an interesting article that states: "A new study estimates that Earth has almost 8.8 million species, but we've only discovered about a quarter of them. And some of the yet-to-be-seen ones could be in our own backyards, scientists say."

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20110823/faec5e36-f93e-4eaf-8ae1-c3af67844c6d

Well if we've only discovered 1.9 million species out of 8.8 million currently living amongst us, is it conceivable that a secretive, nocturnal, intelligent Hominid might be one of the 6.9 million species that we may have missed? I'm just saying.....

Chip

17. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

Also consider that many people believe in ghosts, and many of those same people would laugh at or ridicule anyone that believes in the possibility of Bigfoot existing. The same false logic they use to discredit the Bigfoot phenomena is not used to discredit the supernatural.

18. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

This sign is posted on the Pikes Peak Highway. Was up there a few days ago, on North Catamount Reservoir.

[​IMG]

As the crow flies, it's about 1 1/2 miles to 2 miles from my home, but about a 20 minute drive.

Happy Camping!

Kim

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I can understand someone saying, "I doubt it; you'll have to show me one to prove it." What I can't understand is the people who rant and rave about there being absolutely no possibility and ridicule those who say there might be or who saw one. These folks often get extremely emotional to the point of viciousness about their denouncements and denials. I always wonder why the over-reaction? What is there about this idea that pushes their buttons?

20. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

I honestly don't understand it either. But do your own social experiment next time and ask someone if they believe in ghosts. 50/50 chance they say yes, and this person was just ranting about how ridiculous it is to believe that something like Bigfoot might exist.