Sasquatch Sightings

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by lbcarr87, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Yes I understand completely; one religates logic to a mathmatical equation. However absolute mathmatecal proof is not required to base ones beliefs and actions. If one waited for an absolute certainty to act then one would be waiting for a very long time. Let's see an mathmatical argument analyzing and imputting all the data and addressing the statistical probability of there being a bigfoot. That would be interesting and relevant. A more significant question is what is your threshhold of belief? A proponderance of the evicence (51% probability)? Or beyond a reasonable doubt (perhaps 95% certainty)? I suggest the former is acceptable. Many scientists would suggest that even a much lower probability (perhaps single digit or so) would allow one to at least consider the possibility enough to mount an investigation to search for additional evidence, without the mental commitment of accepting it's existence as being fact, or even likely. Perhaps, given the extrodiary nature of such an hypothetical creature, only a remote chance is sufficient to warrant a closer look?

Also, concerning my random postulation that thousands may have seen it, one needs to consider not just those alive today, but those in ancient times and cultures who we so frequently dismiss. Remember that the word "Sasquatch" is derived from a native American (actually Canadian indians) word taken from a culture who has lived on this continent for many thousands of years before we have. American settlers of European origins also saw them and referred to these beasts as "skookums" and "mountain devils." Add this to all the Yeti, skunk ape, etc. sightings and I'm sure my initial estimate errs on the conservative side. Consider if an average of 100 people per generation (world wide) claim to have seen the beast, and 100 generations pass (2,000 yrs at a 20yr generational interval) then this adds up to 1,000 eye witnesses, over time.

Chip

2. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    [qutoe]However absolute mathmatecal proof is not required to base ones beliefs and actions[/quote]

Very true. The examples are too numerous to name.

Not really. A logical proof is essentially no more than a mathematical equation. How long does it take to prove that 2+2=4? Data and statistical probablility would be dealt with in the premises rather easily and quickly. There is no threshhold of belief involved. A premise is either true or false, period, not likely or unlikely. Considering the possiblility of something is far and away different from a logical truth. Some things simply can not be proven true.

Again, when I was referring to proof, I wasn't referring to proving the existence of Bigfoot. I was referring to sentential logic.

3. Lizooki

Lizooki getting back 2 nature

For your consideration.
    I know for a fact that spec ops forces train in national forests and other rough areas.
    I know for a fact they sometimes practice concealment tactics.
    I know for a fact that more than once, these guys have been seen and mistaken for some sort of large animal while moving around.
    Here is the concealment tactic.

[​IMG]

I know these facts as they have been told to me by a spec ops soldier.

Also, a lot of the areas where sightings occur are also training grounds or near spec ops training areas.

Matt

4. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Cool Lizooki. Yes a soldier in a Ghillie suit, this could account for some of the modern sightings.

Do spec-ops soldiers ever go barefoot? How big are their feet?

I don't ever recall hearing of someone seeing a bigfoot with a rifle though... but you never know. ;)

This looks like a Bigfoot to me:
    http://site.bookscorner22.com/tmp/vestsandghillies/headandshoulderghullie.jpg

Especially from the back.

Chip

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

There were no special ops guys training in the Pacific Northwest 400 years ago, or 300 or 200, etc. These sightings go back that far. Ghillie suits don't yield hairs that test as "unknown primate." I could go on but you get the point.

6. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

The absence of proof does not mean it isn't true.

I grew up in the Pacific northwest and elk hunted for years in the Enterprise area (NE Oregon), there are mass areas of land that man has rarely if ever been, and that's nothing compaired to portions of Washington and Idaho that are so densly covered......

There are alot of things in life that man was just not meant to know, and this may be one of them.

7. Clueless

Clueless I use to have a handle on life but it broke.

I'm convinced now! [LOL]

http://www.ourbigfoot.com/bigfoot_skeleton.html

Bigfoot Skeleton Found!

The smoking gun has been found. Yes, a real Bigfoot skeleton has been unearthed
    by Dr. Gladstone. You'll see the picture of the skeleton as well as learn the story
    about an eccentric scientist and his pursuit for the woolly bugger we call Bigfoot.

When we recently heard the story of skeletal proof of Bigfoot being unearthed in 1971 by a Dr.
    Gladstone, we were stunned. After all, why wouldn't such a huge discovery have been made public?
    After we listened to the account by Peter Byrne, former Director of the International Wildlife
    Conservation Society, we just had to locate Dr. Gladstone (if alive), and insist on an interview.

After a few weeks of digging up the anthropologist turned cryptozoologist, we soon found him hard at
    work in California, an obvious location for a Bigfoot expert. The good doctor reluctantly agreed to
    meet with us and share his story of how a Bigfoot skeleton was literally in his own back yard!

Dr. Gladstone was quick to give credit of his discovery to neighbors and friends who helped him
    unearth the woolly bugger after a series of seasonal mud slides. Who would of thought? And to
    make it even better, accidentally nearby a fresh Bigfoot turd was also found. Apparently, his
    backyard has been a resting place of traveling Bigfoot creatures for decades. Aided by good friend
    Clayton Bailey, Dr. Gladstone carefully extracted the bones, cleaned them and re-assembled the
    skeleton. During re-assembly of the skeletal remains, it seems Dr. Gladstone also discovered an
    unknown trait of the Bigfoot, and that being a triple-jointed appendage which led to Gladstone
    scientifically naming his find, "Giganticus Erectus Robustus." Dr. Gladstone gave us permission to
    release his photograph showing the Bigfoot skeleton.

[​IMG]

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL] Now THAT would be a scary sight.

I don't think many soldiers are 9' or 10' tall or stink really bad. Although the witness may stink really bad after seeing an armed bigfoot.

9. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

I'm afraid that guy wasn't around when Native Americans and Canada's First People were seeing Sasquatch.

10. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

Was this said in a Court of Law under Oath? Hearsay is not Fact.

A picture of a "spec ops guy" with a "gun in a funny suit" is not proof they exist either! No offence meant to our Forces in any way and many thanks to them. You may be good with Photoshop!

Lots of people "as they have been told to me" have seen Sasquatch.

11. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Wait a minute now. I've seen Jurassic Park, SO I Know For A Fact that there are Velociraptors and T-Rex dinosaurs lurking in the woods. Perhaps they've eaten all the big foots (bigfeet?) Besides if you've met my Ex-wife, you would certainly believe in a modern T-Rex - it's not that far of a stretch. [:D]

Chip

12. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

And we don't have to worry about Bigfoot if we see him because all we have to do is "rough talk" him and he'll disappear.

13. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Hello=Skunk Ape and he is at Trail Lakes in the Everglades, come on down [8D]

14. squirrelbox

squirrelbox New Member

I think it is offensive to call sasquatch Big Foot. Just because you are not proportioned well dosnt mean you should be made fun of. There might be more sightings if sasquatch knew he would would not be made fun of. The big question to me is If there is no such thing as sasquatch , how come we know what he looks like.

15. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Nope... don't think any of you have seen me (and my 6'5" frame) while camping...

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Who says Bigfoot isn't properly proportioned? If you are 7'+ tall and weigh 400 pounds those big footprints are properly proportioned.

17. squirrelbox

squirrelbox New Member

I choose to believe that there has to be some type of big foot. In all seriousness I want to believe, so I do. I also know that big foot does not care about political correctness but you are right his feet are what they are because it is necessary. Its just that it seems to be insensitive to call him out about that ( all jest of course). Unless of course the ladies judge him on his large feet , then of course I will change my over compensating opinion on what is politically correct. But really I do think there has to be some truth to this existence of the large creature. I have always been intrigued about fire breathing dragons as well. If you look at folk lore these creatures are in many many historical stories ect. , just like big foot . Only big foot may exist now. Very cool. There is actually a beetle than can spit fire , why not a lizard. Why not Big foot being real

18. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

Sascrotch......what a load of crap.... [LOL]

19. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Here's a brief video suggesting that what we call a bigfoot may be a not quite extinct Gigantopithicus.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/lost-tapes-bigfoot.html

This sounds like one of the most plausable explanations of this phenomenon I've heard put forth. Maybe they didn't all die out about 10,000 years ago as scientists think. Remember the coelacanth? Scientists thought it died out 65 million years ago until fishermen caught a living example. There are many animals which were once thought to be extinct which were later discovered living amongst us. Think there can't possibly be a large creature rediscovered like a Gigantopithicus? How about the Javan Elephant? You can't get any bigger than that! It was thought to be extinct since the 1800s but they were recently rediscovered in 2006. Here's an interesting read: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/14-extinct-animals-that-were-rediscovered

Food for thought.

4mula1fan, yeah, you're pretty brave online; but I'll bet you wouldn't say that to one in person. [LOL]

Chip

20. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

If I met up with one, he would smell worse afterwards! [LOL] [:(O] [:O]