Satalite tv

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by scubacouple, Sep 16, 2012.

1. scubacouple

scubacouple New Member

Whie TV is not the most important factor when camping we (ME) would like to be able to get the college football games. We have cable at home. Is there an option for this other than getting satallite at home and having the extra dish for camping and which is better (dish or direct) if we go that route?

Thanks

2. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I'm partial to DirecTV; I'm actually surprised Dish can stay in business, they suck. Some CGs have cable you can hook into, but not that many of them. A lot of people go old school rabbit ears I think; satellite would really be the only other viable alternative in my estimation.

3. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Suck or not, they came very close to buying Direct a few years ago...which would not have been good for the market. I have cable because we have too many trees and we like high-speed internet. [:)O]

Oh, and BigBaron could probably tell you about satarite TV! [;)]

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Oh, and BigBaron could probably tell you about satarite TV! [;)]
    [LOL] [LOL]

5. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Do you have any family or close friends with DirecTV or Dish? We have cable at home, but I took my old dish and direcTV dish and added it to my mom's account for a travel trailer. I have her activate it for football season and pay her of course. It is an extra $6/month. After January, I have her turn it off until next football season. Works like a charm.

except my receiver broke and am looking for another one....ughh..

6. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I have Direct T V. I just take the box out of the back bedroom and take it with us. When I get set up at the campground I just hook the box up to this little gem and I have every channel that I have at home...It is a little pricey, but no messing with that stupid dish. 5 minutes and it is all ready to go.. AZ [8D]

[​IMG]

7. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

I have that stupid dish......Its not that hard to set up, depending on how many trees are in the way

8. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Pricey it is! [{:)]

9. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I found it online for $345.00 delivered to my house.
    [:D]

10. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I will be adding a box to my folks account here soon and bring my dish. We had DirecTv and loved them, don't have them now because we moved and cant get through the trees.... [:(]

11. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I DVR any football I am interested in that may take place while I out camping. I would never think of bringing a television camping.

12. ricko

ricko Member

While we love our DirecTV there are times we can't get through the trees. On our summer trip this year we got into a site where we couldn't, ran to K-Mart and picked up a cheapo antenna to use with the digital tuner on our little LCD TV. We able to grab NBC, CBS and ABC - I'm thinking about building one of the stick antennas that are mentioned elsewhere and skipping the satellite most of the time.

ESPN is a cable and satellite only service... so at that point, you'd have to get really creative.

Ricko

13. rjniles

rjniles Member

You do know that adding a box to someones account to get service at another location is a violation of the service agreement. The company would say stealing.

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I use a Roadtrip dish and take the Direct TV receiver from the house. Takes less than 5 minutes to set this system up....never miss a race

15. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I also subscribe to the stupid dish. Dish Network has two different configurations called western arc and eastern arc. I have the LNB's for both of those that will mount on the same dish / arm / tripod in the picture by removing two screws. You can find info on modifying the 1000.4 dish to accept the 1000,2 LNB on the web so you only need to carry 1 dish around. That gives me two options when setting up. I can aim western arc (dish 1000.2)which hits satellites 110, 119, and 129 by aiming 242 (SW) degrees but those are only at around 28 degrees of elevation, or eastern arc (dish 1000.4) which hits satellites 61.5, 72.7, and 77 by aiming 179 (Due South) degrees and this setup is better as those sats are at 43 degrees elevation. With that elevation you can shoot over top of some big trees. I have not found anywhere yet where I have not been able to get it aimed. Even on a totally wooded site you can almost always find a hole through the trees. I have less than $350 in the entire setup including the receiver, which I purchased so no monthly lease charges. Once you set it up and aim it once or twice, the total setup time is less than 20 minutes for everything. Sports is nice to have but the main reason is "The weather channel", along with my niece and nephew who stay with us often. Getting stuck in the camper with a 7 and 5 year old due to rain for a few hours without the cartoon channels is not an option and the dvd's get old quick. I do not like surprise storms while camping and the State Park we visit a lot has no reception at all for local tv or weather radio. You do not get much weather info from the local radio stations you can pull in.

[​IMG]

16. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

NOAA weather has been a cheap and reliable option for us (not for entertainment of course! [SNZ])

17. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Where or what online store?

18. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

If I was going to use it at my house, yes. I would agree. However, they have an account with RV Boxes on it and I will be using one of those, for exactly what it is designed for.

19. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

My 2 cents, With Dish network they do not care where the receiver physically is, as long as it is activated on an account. (I see no reason for DirectTV to be any different). Other than if you are leasing the receivers they may have some verbage in the agreement that you can not remove their equipment from the address they installed it at. That would only be a recovery kind of clause if you skipped out on the service I would Imagine. I personally have purchased outright and installed my own equipment. Its personal choice I guess. You can buy a Dish 211K receiver on Ebay for less than $100 once, or Get it through Dish and pay them a monthly charge for leasing it. I have heard even when you purchase outright you still technically do not own a receiver but I have never confirmed that one. A receiver has an individual code just like a cell phone. If it is not on an account, and activated over the sat network, its not going to operate. If you have only one receiver they charge you the full monthly amount, then so much additional per each additional receiver. I have never had an issue with Dish even though I do not have the RV package. I have even received support over the cellphone while at the campground after explaining in detail I had taken the receiver out of the house and on the road.

20. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

It is called an RV account...AND..I pay for the use of it every month that it is activated. So, if I pay extra, use it as intended, how is that stealing? I find that comment funny because we told the DirectTV person what we wanted to do and he helped us set it all up.