Satalite tv

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by scubacouple, Sep 16, 2012.

1. CIGARGUY

CIGARGUY New Member

This isn't stealing at all. Dish is happy to do this and they have many happy customers paying them extra every month for their "mobile" receivers. This scenario is no different than adding an additional cell phone to a shared plan.

Stealing would be if you were paying your neighbor to tap into his service line without setting up an account of your own.

2. rjniles

rjniles Member

The issue was activating an additional box on someone else service. If they allowed that, everyone on your street could get a box on 1 neighbors account.

3. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I guess you can call me a thief then. [:D]

4. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Every site we checked was over $500. Not sure where he was able to find one at that price!

5. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Me too. [:(]

6. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

He might have gotten a refurbished deal! [?:~{]

7. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

And for that VuCube you still need a clear shot of the all the sats in the package. I have never looked into DirectTV but Dish Network uses 3. That cube is motorized so it moves itself between the sats. To get all my channels I hit 3 sats and that is why the dish is an oval. You would still have to find a spot that has a clear shot and I would assume have a level surface for it. The only thing that would save me is setting up the tripod and aiming the dish. You still need to run the cable and I have run up to 200' of it before in the woods, do a clean reset of the receiver etc. I do not think the cost justifies the convenience. Just my opinion.

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I have to ask how many people watch TV while camping? I always viewed camping as a chance to get away from the idiot box.... [LOL]

9. Old_Geezer

Baron, as far as the actual watching, other than parts of the occasional Nascar race or Steeler game that is usually the extent. The main purpose I bought the setup was for the Weather Channel and local news. I was at our favorite State park a few years ago and a storm came up quick, one of those storms with tornado warnings, that no one knew was coming. This state park is down slope on the east side of a mountain with most of the weather coming from the west. It can sneak up on you quick. One minute sun is shining, 5 minutes later sky is black, 5 minutes after that here comes the 40 mph winds. I had an NOAA radio, but no NOAA radio reception. You get no reception there with the camper antenna for TV, Pittsburgh is too far away and behind two mountains. The local radio stations, which is a total of 1 without static, said nothing, and unless you walk or drive a mile up the mountain no cell service, so the smartphone was no good either. The PA State park system runs on a shoestring, so most of the time a ranger is not even around to warn people although I have seen them do it once. Well we did not get any damage from the storm, but there were a few damaged tents and canopies scattered around and one damged trailer awning I saw. Right after that I ordered my setup. Now I can get the weather channel, and it has an interactive feature I can get the local radar on demand, as well as the local news channels. Other than that and using it for Sirius satellite radio which comes with Dish network, I tie that into the campers sound system, that's about all it gets used for. It also gets used during a total washout. We have always been outside campers. Tent, pup, now the hybrid, we are mostly outside no matter what the weather is like. We cook outside, eat outside, just about everything but sleep outside. But during a hard all day rain it does get used if we are stuck at the campsite, especially when our young niece and nephew are with us. They start going bonkers after about an hour in a 20' box, which drives me super bonkers. I do not have the patience for that anymore. But turn on the cartoon channel and its like they went to sleep.

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I don't, nor do I camp anywhere that it would be even remotely possible to do so. As it is, I'm too busy fishing and hiking and what not to bother, even if it were possible. That said, if I did more RVing type of camping, I might consider it. Ironic that I even say that given that I'm currently considering canceling my DirecTV subscription at home; with a 2.5 year old and a 10 week old, I'm finding that I have very little time for such things. By the time DW and I can actually sit down by ourelves and watch a program, we're just ready to hit the rack. Given our current situation, we're basically throwing $80/month down the toilette.

11. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I'm picking up what you're putting down. About the only time I sit down to watch TV (which would be at 9:00 p.m. anyway) would be to do some menial task that I can sit and do in the living room. Not very many of those kinds of tasks around the house.

12. cma7777

cma7777 Member

I was hoping that this questing would not be asked and I could learn a little more about portable satellite options. Sometimes we take idiot box. Sometimes we don't. It's just our option. Can we just leave it at that and keep the conversations on the satellite dishes? [:)C]

13. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I have to say, if I were doing this I'd probably opt for a the digital box and rabbit ears...enough to get me the local channels, weather, etc. Guess you wouldn't get all of the football games...but you'd get the ones on the basic channels. I'm a cheapy though and would have a hard time forking out the add'l cash for another satelite receiver and dish.

14. cma7777

cma7777 Member

I normally take one of the receivers (when I take one) out of the house and do not have one just for camping. I bought an inexpensive dish off eBay so I have no additional cost. I just have a hard time finding a signal at the CG. A friend has one of the nice portable dishes. He just sets it on the ground and it levels itself and finds the satellite for him with the push of a button. Now it cost him big $$$$.

15. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Yeah, it seems that it could be difficult to get a standard dish set up just right at the campsite...probably the portable dish would be the way to go. Like you said and would appear to be pretty much par for the course...$$$$$.

16. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I've only had trouble find the signal at one campground that was in heavy tree cover. Other than that, I usually find it witin a couple of minutes. For what we use it for, I would not pay for the portable automatic dish.

I always use the car's digital compass to get me pointed in the right direction. Also, when driving to your site, look for other campers with the dish set up...that will help a lot.

17. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Engrish is everywhere... [:D]

http://www.engrish.com/

18. Old_Geezer

It is not hard to get a standard dish set up, maybe the first time you do it but once you do it is like riding a bicycle. Especially now days. If you know your site beforehand you can go to http://www.dishpointer.com/, enter your system info and it will give you all the settings for alignment. If you know the campground and site you can even print out the location using google earth and it will tell give you the general direction to point the dish. You can also get an app for both I phone and Android that uses the phones GPS and compass and then you see the satellites actual location in the sky for aiming on your display. I use it on wooded sites to find holes through the trees. Sometimes it just takes a little creativity on placement. Another site with some good info is http://www.tv4rv.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

^^^ LOL... [LOL] I live in NM, you get much off the Rio Grande corridor or the I-40 corridor and you're not getting cell service let alone internet. Heck, I think you can only get 4g in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Las Cruces currently. You get up into the mountains and you can just forget it...nothing! One of the reasons I noted that I couldn't do t.v. even if I wanted to is that there are very few CGs that offer hookups...maybe a handful of sites at a couple of our SPs, but other than that, we'd have to camp at an RV park...most of which are within the city limits and just off the interstate so I couldn't personally do it. Look at a Verizon map and you'll see what I mean. There are times when I count my blessings in this RE and there are other times when it's a real PITA not to be able to function 21 century anywhere I go. At any rate, the "nature of the beast" out here really pretty much forces you to entertain yourself in other ways.

20. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Real Estate,Rare Earth,Religious Education,Renewable Energy,Rotary Engine,Reverse Engineering,or Resident Evil? [:D]