Satellite TV and Question

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by micbur, Apr 12, 2010.

1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Now I do not want to start a long drawn out discussion about bring a TV or not...generally we do not bring a TV with us camping. But sometimes we do if it is going to be a long trip. I have the dish, the receiver, homemade tripod and such...have been able to get a signal at a couple of CG's but not all. Have a web site that based on location gives you the direction/elevation/skew.

My question is that if the dish needs to be pointed so precise then how come there is no way to make a fine adjustment? Does anyone know of a conversion kit or homemade mod that can be done to an RV dish for pointing it?

I cannot make the micro adjustments needed manually. Been thinking about making some type of screw drive mainly for adjusting the elevation. Curious if anyone has done this already and could give some pointers?

2. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

This is a good question....hopefully I will be able to give a good answer. Theoretically, a fine adjustment screw is possible, but it would need to attached on one of the two elevation bolts and the dish. However, difficulty will occur when the dish is used in a location significantly north or south of where it is normally used. For example, the satellite elevation is much higher in the sky in Florida compared to Virginia and also much lower in the sky in New York compared to Virginia or Florida (as much as 15 degrees in difference from New York to Florida)...so you would need a way to manually adjust the dish as the curvature of the elevation bolt opening will restrict large movements when using the fine tuning screw.

What I do for fine tuning elevation is to hand tighten the bolts (the bolts help to restrict the up and down movement) and then make my fine tuning adjustments...finally tightening the bolts with a wrench when my receiver signal strength meter shows maximum signal in elevation...then I adjust for maximum signal for heading (slowly turning the dish side to side).

Hope this helps and also answers your question

3. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Yes that helps. I have found a web site that sells a kit and basically it just looks like a threaded I bolt that is attached to the elevation section and the threads are placed through an I bolt attached to say the tripod. A butterfly nut is there and as to turn the butterfly nut it shorts the area which in turns pulls down making the dish rise closer to say 90 degrees.

This looks like it would work

I was thinking something like the adjustment used on a telescope for maintaining an object in frame but these are really expensive.

I think I will try and make the I-bolt thing.

In stead of a tripod I have a small bucket that I an thinking about cementing a post in...might be a little easier to travel with and to make plumb.

4. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

Here is what I used the last time I used my dish camping. I staked the standard mount directly to the ground using those heavy duty tent stake/spikes...as long as the ground is level it worked like a champ and I didn't worry at all about the wind blowing the dish over.

[​IMG]