Sauder Village Campground

Bigantlers

Jun 6, 2018
Toledo, OH
8-23 to 8-25 (2019), Site 76

We have stayed here several times now (always site 76) and it will always hold a special place in our hearts. This is the first place we camped at with the camper and we couldn't have picked a better place. It really got us into the life right with a great experience that filled up the patience tank needed when owning a camper.

Ever since I have been hesitant about private campgrounds. I haven't found one that is worth the price of dealing with smaller site. Too often they seem like small cities as opposed to camps (Sunny's Campground has 800 sites 2 miles down the road!). Growing up I camped in both the woods as survival camping and with the Grandparents in there RV at a local KOA. I have fond memories of both as the KOA is where I learned to swim and where I was introduced to camping in general. I want to strike a balance between the woods and the needed level of comfort for DW. It just comes down to what do you get for the added cost?

At Sauder Village, you get very clean bathrooms and showers as well as access to the indoor pool at the Inn. You also get a smaller, more intimate camp of about 130 sites. There is a restaurant as well as a bakery within walking distance and a Sunday morning breakfast buffet (added cost). Then there is the village itself which they seem to be making some investments in. It is a bit pricey but well worth visiting once a year, especially for history buffs. The campground does not have a beach but it does have a splash pad centrally located as well as a large fishing pond. And, if you are a Railfan, you can drive 2 miles into town for some main line action. Of course that means you hear the trains... all the time. But you get used to it. The closest crossing is 2 miles away but the rumble and the horns are always there.

So, yes, its worth it.

The first loop is the original and is more shady and with bigger trees. The second loop is only 4 or 5 years old so the grass is still filling in and the trees are smaller. These sites are all full service but a bit hotter during the day. But when you have that $50k fiver sitting on the pad with that huge awning, the sun has to work harder to make you sweat! One nice thing though is that with so many sewer sites (and those beautiful TT's) there's not a lot of pressure on the bathrooms and showers. And I do want to mention the tent sites as they are nice also, and right on the water.

DW loves it here, which is a big bonus, and I like it too although I would still choose Harrison Lake SP given the choice. I love that the kids have enough space to play at the site never getting tired of moving gravel around. The sites are smaller and closer to each other but they can go ride there bikes in relative safety. They still don't go into the second loop yet even though at Harrison the have almost run the entire campground which is at least twice as big. It is very relaxing and people are very friendly and the grounds over all are neat and clean.

We were a little worried on this last trip as there was a big group across from us that was noisy the Friday we arrived. We were hanging out in the camper watching a movie and every once in a while DW and I would look at the time and then each other. But by 11pm, they had quieted down and we had no problem getting to sleep.

Once again I can't overstate how beautiful a flatland sunset can be around here, even if many of the fields are fallow and depressing in their swampy splendor. The spring and early summer rains really did do a number around here and the farmers are still recovering. But the skies are still something to behold and being so far out, the stars are something to behold also.