SC: Edisto Beach State Park

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by Steve A, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

We just got back from two nights at Edisto Beach State Park on Edisto Island, SC.

This is actually two park in one in different locations. One is truly on the beach, the other, at Live Oak a few miles from the beach.

Since we booked late choices were very limited. Primitive tenting only. But that was fine with us as tenting is what we had planned.

I have just been looking at the availability for the beach. It seems August even has some open time. We will be back.

Ciao,

2. yogi

yogi New Member

I hope you had a good time. Sounds like you should jump on the available sites and book now!

3. Steve A

Downside - the potable water is lousy with sulfur. Bring extra.

Doesn't look like we will. Wife thought her trip to IL was a week earlier than reality had it. Optional teacher days and start of school year are shortly after she gets back. C'est la vie.

Ciao,

4. Steve A

[​IMG]

Edisto Beach State Park, Edisto Island, SC

5. Marblerun22

Marblerun22 New Member

We camp here on Edisto Island side quite often. Campsites are nice and most are rather level. Many provide some good shade and a few are wide open though. Do bring your own water supply as already mentioned. Great area to bring the bike and go for a ride in the area. Shell collecting here is awesome as you find some really big ones. Facilities are just fine could be better though I'll admit. This place fills up quite quickly and is a rarity to book at the last minute.

6. just jim

just jim New Member

I'll be there the last of oct. looking forward to it .What I like is you can camp right on the edge of the beach , only a sand dune away , and the fact that there is a super market across the street , So I don't have to take much food with me , and a nice place to eat , with a bar , and gift shop , just up the street . When you check in , ask for Merry , she is the ranger , and a real great person . C U there .

7. boonedogz

boonedogz New Member

I've done both the beach and the Live Oak loop. For me the Live Oak loop is more preferable.

8. campinggordons

campinggordons New Member

I know this thread is a little old but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what cell phone reception was like here at Edisto,especially data signal or wifi

9. johnson29630

johnson29630 New Member

Been to Edisto many times over the past couple decades...

Regarding wifi-- an old camp office at the main campground (near the beach) has a room open to the public with tables and benches, equipped with free wifi. No reception at the sites, but a walk to the office lets you get your daily internet fix. (or check the weather)

The drinking water is brackish, pretty hard to drink (although I'm told it's great for boiling crabs). HOWEVER, there is a public reverse-osmosis water station outside the firehouse, just run into town every few days with a jug! (accessible 24/7).

10. Jughed

Jughed Member

The have WiFi receivers at the bath house(s).

11. 23steps

23steps New Member

I had reservations for the end of this month. Unfortunately, Irma hit Edisto and Hunting Island hard. Both parks had just reopened after Matthew last year. Closed again until the end of 2017.

12. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

The picture I saw of the camping area did not look too good. Hopefully they will get it back open soon and you can reschedule your trip.

upload_2017-9-14_14-24-3.png

13. 23steps

23steps New Member

Yeah it looks bad. Beach front campground got flooded and the back Live Oaks campground had a tornado touch down, tore up a bunch of trees. Sad to see it like that.

BTW, Go Heels!

megcabra likes this.