SC Hunting Island any tips for a newbie?

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by Popette, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Popette

Popette New Member

So we just bought our NTU popup and we have a week reserved at Hunting Island in April. We are at site 76, anyone know juicy details about this site? Hope it's do-able...too late to change it now. Also, I know the reviews say there are lots of raccoons and other wildlife. Will I be messing up taking my 2 dogs? I'm afraid they are going to be barking their heads off the entire night at the sound of wildlife scurrying around. I don't want to get down there and go insane taking care of dogs and worrying about disturbing neighbors. We have taken them to Edisto for 2-3 days at a time and they were ok, but I'm worried. Also taking 2 teenagers and a toddler. Do you think we should take our own bikes or rent them once we are there? What else should I know? If you've been there PLEEZ help me!! I need the inside scoop!!! [:D]

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We were there at New Years. Nice park. I don't know your site but they're all fine. There are indeed lots of raccoons, and lots of kids on bikes, lots of campers dragging greywater containers around on hitches, etc. Dogs may not like that.

Be sure to visit other parts of the park outside the campground. There is a good nature center that will loan fishing gear (get some shrimp outside the park for bait). There's a lighthouse you can climb for a fee. Some nice nature trails. Beach is nice.

Good camp store by they way. Restrooms were clean. Staff were friendly. You may want to bring bikes but bewarned; the road outside the campground to other parts of the park is rather busy; probably not good for young kids.

Supermarket about 15 miles away in St. Helena. A day in beautiful Beaufort would be a nice break.

Have fun, it's a lovely park.

3. browntown3

browntown3 New Member

Never been, but some family friends at our church go every year and always tell us we need to go. i've done some research on it and its definitely on our trip list, hopefully toward the fall of this year. From what ive seen you are right about the raccoons and ive also read theres alot of mesquitos depending on how far off the beach you are.. The pictures of it look amazing hope you have a great trip. be sure and update us after you go!

4. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Hunting Island is beautiful. It's been a while, so I don't remember site 76. The campground on the beach side of the main road used to be much larger, but for the most part natural beach erosion and build up elsewhere is allowed to occur. They sometimes find some cash for beach replenishment, which nowdays involves dredging offshore sand. But sometime in the past, they created a large borrow pit/lagoon on the island, and that's where the best crabbing is. There are definitely a lot of raccoons, and the mosquitoes can be bad off the beach. There are also large squirrels (fox squirrels) who will throw the "core" of their green pine cones at you. Remember, raccoons can open many things, including Tupperware! Do not miss The Shrimp Shack for one meal, I think it's by the bridge on maybe Whale Branch, between Lady's Island, ...aw I can't remember, but there's only one road out there, and it's on the left going out. They charge to go up in the lighthouse now?!?

5. Popette

Popette New Member

Thanks starcrafty, will have to try The Shrimp Shack! And I will try my best to post pics. Only 15 more days!!!! [:D]

6. adamteja

adamteja New Member

Hunting Island is great!

There is nothing near the island. Closest store is the grocery store mentioned in a previous post about 15 minutes drive.

Lock your cooler in the car at night. Racoons will get into everything. They quit being cute if they find something and start a land war. You'll never be so happy to be off the ground ;) Get your garbage into the dumpster while still daylight. Racoons swarm the bins and wont budge.

sunscreen... kite... kayak (several places to rent nearby)

7. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg "Failure is not an option"

Beautiful campground! Bring bug spray, lots of it. We went in June, so it might not be too bad in April, but the mosquitos were quite hungry. Not too bad at the campsite, but you had to have on bug spray to sit outside for any lenght of time. The worst part was walking between the dunes to the beach, swarms! We didn't encounter any raccoons, must have been lucky, but did have a couple of tree frogs that tried to come home with us! Had to pluck them off before closing up the camper. Lots of deer in the area too.
    Definitely check out the nature museum and the light house. Doesn't cost much. There is also a boardwalk that takes you out over the saltmarsh. Might even see some dolphins if the tide in in.
    Have fun and bring bug spray!

8. adamteja

adamteja New Member

Just got back from Hunting Island... no raccoons this year. Apparently they captured them and relocated them. It's probably for the best, there were hundreds of them last year.

9. rjniles

rjniles Member

Doubt that they relocated them, it is against the law in SC to relocate nuisance wildlife. But a lot of people eat coons in SC [:D]

10. ILUVTHEBEACH

ILUVTHEBEACH Suburbs of Philly, PA

My son is stationed at the Beaufort MCAS and we were thinking about taking a trip down in June to see him. While I would love to camp, it sounds like it is a little to far from the base to go back and forth to see my son. Although I have heard great things about the Island and we definitely want to do a day trip so maybe future vacations could be spent camping. [:D]

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

It's not a long trip from Hunting Island to Beaufort, probably about 17 or 18 miles to the air station, and much of it a pretty drive as well. We ran into town once for supplies and it didn't take long.

12. Popette

Popette New Member

Whew!!! That sounds like GREAT news! I have been having irrational fears about raccoons, earthquakes and tsunamis! [:(]

13. adamteja

adamteja New Member

Yeah, that's what I thought. The Ranger probably just says that so they don't get flak.
    The answer to the followup question is probably "to a low tide sand bar half a mile out"

14. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Surely for civilians, but is it illegal for the SCDNR to relocate? I'm from the South, but I just have a problem with eating anything with opposable thumbs! [LOL] Well, maybe squirrels. [:)O] [:O]