SC - Myrtle Beach State Park a/k/a Camp Sardine

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by Steve A, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

The good:
    • Walking distance to oceanfront
    • Numerous bathhouses
    The bad:
    Geeze, where do I start? I guess first thing is the set up. It is beyond crowded. It is beyond OVER crowded. It is Camp Sardine. You better hope you like your neighbors and they understand the same simple facts of camping as you, because you're closer than many apartment neighbors I've ever had.
    If there's a tree between you and the neighbor, count yourself lucky. If it's a shrub, call it good. Others may not be so lucky.

The numerous bathhouses I spoke of? They did get cleaned once while we were there, but considering all the people using them, they're pretty dirty.

Firepits were the pits. At least the one on our site. I do like to cook on them and finding them at 15 degree angles makes things a little difficult. Firewood was available at the ranger station/camp store $5.75 a bundle (bundles consisted of ash, hickory and oak).

From what I heard in the Ranger Station, WiFi could be picked up within the first 3 loops. Cellphone reception for me, on US Cellular, was very good.

We were in the third loop which consisted of many MHs some TTs a few Pups and tents. No snubbery, most folks were rather friendly. We found a leak during our second night and a TT neighbor offered us use of a tarp. I had a spare but it was nice to receive the offer.

The likelihood of us returning is probably a 1 on a 5 scale. I could park at Wally World if I want to be surrounded by that many people. Granted, I wouldn't have the beach.

I generally do like SC's state parks. I am not writing them off, just MB.

(And this is my 500th post. Do I win a ribbon or a bundle of wood?)

2. journeywind

journeywind New Member

We have camped at Myrtle Beach State Park on several occasions both with a tent and with a pop-up. The inner loop sites, the ones closest to the ranger station, are crowded. I would never stay there. The two outer loops are much better with deeper, wider sites and enough trees and shrub undergrowth to give a reasonable amount of privacy. Many back up to the forest.

Before we camped there the first time, we visited the campground and drove around looking for a site that we really liked. We found several, went home, decided when we wanted to go, and made our reservation. We were very satisfied with our choice.

We have always found the bathhouses as well as the entire campground to be clean and cared for very well. Yes, the firewood, and everything else for that matter, is overpriced at the ranger station. You're paying for the convenience. We always carry a couple of bundles for the first night and then go the Piggly Wiggly to get more firewood, ice etc. They have the best price that we have found there. When we wanted to check email we went to the ranger station where there are places to sit both inside and outside.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience.

3. Steve A

I think we'd certainly be more amiable to a return trip armed with that knowledge.
    Living in Northern NC a scouting trip to most coastal SC grounds would be a full day round trip.
    The comment about the wood at the C store was only for information. In fact, we are always more than happy to buy from the park as funds go to the park.
    Perhaps another visit will ensue.
    Thanks for the info and I shall pass it along with my other reports.

4. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Next time try Huntington Beach State Park, Northern Loop. It is quieter and not as congested, but still close enough to the Myrtle Beach attractions. We've never camped at the Southern Loop, because it is more open and we like the "wooded" feeling.
    Did you have a chance to go and check it out, Steve?

5. Steve A

CC, No Day 1 was a late in, Day 2 was our "Thanksgiving" day, even though it was a day late. I will take advantage of it, though. As I said, I haven't written off SC's SPs.

Ciao,

6. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

7. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

To me the worst part wasn't the close sites, it was the close airport! And the Navy jet that was doing touch and gos all day long.

8. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Yes, most people don't realize it is in the flight path of the airport. Another good reason to opt for Huntington Beach State Park.

9. Steve A

[quote author=mnebinger]
    To me the worst part wasn't the close sites, it was the close airport! And the Navy jet that was doing touch and gos all day long.
    [/quote]

Having lived in Virginia Beach for many years (and being aboard three different aircraft carriers) that noise didn't even register on the light nuisance meter. We call that The Sound of Freedom.

10. speckhunter80

To the best of my knowledge there is no military air traffic at Myrtle Beach International and no scheduled commercial arrivals or departures after 2042 or 8:42 PM

11. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I was in the USAF, so I have no problem with The Sound of Freedom [:D]

12. speckhunter80

Neither do I, living across the road from Camp LeJeune and down the waterway from Bogue Field, I have helicopters, Ospreys and Harriers overhead quite regularly. Now that we can't do naval gun practice on a foreign island the good folks of Onslow Co. get to be pounded.

13. speckhunter80

14. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I suggest the USFS Buck Hall Plantation Recreation Area between McClellan and Awendaw about an hour southwest. It's smaller, quieter, and much more of a camping feel than the crowded state parks. Plus it is easily accessible to the Sewee Environmental Center (red wolves!) and the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge. We love Buck Hall.

15. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

^^

If visiting the M.B. area, stay at Huntington Beach S/P for sure - better sites for camping and an undeveloped beach to walk. But as for me, I take the Buck Hall NFS C/G that's nestled right next to the Intercoastal Waterway. Best to have a boat as there's nothing like exploring and fishing Cape Romain for an abundance of seafood.

16. Steve A

The OP is over 2 yrs old. Let it die.