scary ride

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by animlvr, Jul 31, 2017.

1. animlvr

animlvr New Member

first time out with our Fleetwood, the trailer didn't seat right on the hitch, thank goodness we had just pulled off our main highway 403 and decided to go home the quieter less traveled highway 5, the trailer popped off our hitch - and slid to a stop under the back of our truck, the propane tank guard stopped it from taking off the valve, other than break the battery tie down strap and some bent chain, we were very very lucky - our first trip out could have been our last. we are now extra vigilante and double check everything before leaving the campsite, again at the gate, and once more on solid road. please be safe out there.
    we couldn't thank the good samaritans enough who stopped to help us get the trailer back on the hitch, I had called CAA and they were en route to us, but since the trailer's back end was still in a live lane, we needed help asap, 3 ladies (myself included) sat on the back bumper of the trailer while the men hooked it back up...i was shaking in my boots - the rest of the way home we crawled, both of us keeping one eye in the mirror, the other on the road. I never want to experience that again, we have since purchased a newer ball, and installed locking pins, and better chains.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

MistyL and animlvr like this.
  3. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I learn some things the hard way also!!

Thanks for the post as it will help others be safer and hopefully bring awareness!!

MistyL likes this.
  4. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Always a great reminder, thankfully no one was injured or killed.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Never had it happen, but I still use one of these to prevent the trailer from popping off the ball. It cannot go any higher than the bottom of the plate.
    [​IMG]

It uses the same bracket as the coupler connect that helps a single person back up and get the hitch on the ball....
    [​IMG]

JustMePatrick, myride and RWilk like this.
  6. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member Gold Supporting Member

That looks like a handy device to have - Do you recall what it is called? I have the guide to help back onto the ball for my boat trailer which I had forgotten all about - it's on the shelf in my garage somewhere....

7. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

8. chambo

chambo Active Member

Glad everything worked out. Thanks for sharing.

9. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Glad it worked out OK.

You should be able to feel with a finger to make sure the latch is below the ball. To be completely safe, hitch it up, then raise the jack until you're sure the vehicle is raising with the tongue (this will be a few inches as the first bit will just be the springs relaxing).

Also make sure you're using the correct size ball. A 1 7/8 ball on a 2" adapter is not safe.

CheekyRunner likes this.
  10. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yikes! Glad you were okay! The lesson learned the hard way lasts a lifetime.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I had a boat trailer I had owned 20 years come off the ball at interstate speeds when I hit a seam in the road. The couple was secured with a lock. The metal jaw inside the couple must have flexed when I hit the seam. It is nothing more than stamped sheet metal. A near 3k lb trailer riding on the chains at 65 mph in heavy traffic is exciting. I got the rig stopped with no damage...I bought a repair kit and replaced the guts in the coupler.

12. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

Glad everything worked out for you! I've had 2 different trailers come off when towing them, one a flatbed loaded with cement blocks at internet speed, and the 2nd a 2 horse trailer loaded with 2 horses. Neither time was fun and hope nobody else has to experience something like it. But, people around here pull all kinds of trailers ALOT so the chances of something happening are probably a bit better than in some places. Still, be safe people and have fun!

13. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We double check it this way.

14. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I'm curious how it was possible to latch the coupler latch without fully engaging the coupler.

In other words, if you drop the coupler onto the ball, and it doesn't go all the way down, it would be next to impossible to fully close the coupler's latch to the point you're able to slide a pin or padlock shackle through its security hole.

I wonder if possibly your hitch ball is the wrong size.

shuang2 likes this.
  15. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

always double check. mine came off on a nasty dirt road. mine had a old coupler with a built in lock. the lock hadn't worked in a long time and no parts available. the latch finally failed and the trailer came off. got it rehitched and drove 300 miles home with duct tape holding the latch. so double check its hooked up properly and everything works.

16. Scottcampers

Scottcampers New Member

I tow my pup with my kids any chance I get. The last trip my husband decided to go with us and I was glad he did this time. The tred came off one of the trailer tires going through the mountains. We saw the tred behind us but didn’t realize it was ours. We made it safe to our destination an hour after it happened. But we had to make a stop due to another problem, the door of the trailer unlatched and was swinging open. My husband isn’t a camper and this trip didn’t warm him up to it either.

17. myride

myride Well-Known Member

First words out his mouth were....."and you like camping why?"

jmkay1 and Scottcampers like this.
  18. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I was waiting for my wife in a parking lot and down the line was a pickup with a popup hitched up. Mining my own business I just sat in the car. I watch a gentleman walk by the popup and stop and stare at the hitch, then walk on to his car. Something told me something wasn't right. So I took my dog for a walk and made sure we also walked by the popup. The coupler latch wasn't down ........ and the guy I watched just walked away, some people just don't care about others. I knocked the pickup's window and I think woke up the driver taking a nap. Told him about the couple latch, which he thanked me for, he had just driven 200 miles that way! SEE something, SAY something ..... I guess is a good thing. I sure would want someone to tell me about a problem, low tire, etc.

Haybale likes this.
  19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Lucky that you didn't have a worse time and that no one was hurt. It pays to take time to double check things, problems occur when we get in a hurry and skip the double check..
    MY boat came off the ball once, when we hooked up the night before it started raining so each of us thought the other had checked the hitch and no one did, I made it 2 blocks down the road and the boat passed me on the street, all it did was go over to the ditch and take a mailbox out, The hitch lock was not locked down, now I use a padlock EVERY time I hitch anything up. Good Luck and Happy Camping. Luckily the mail box belonged to my fishing partner.

20. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I keep mine padlocked as well.