Scary Thought - - -

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by mckeapc67, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

It's actually quite funny, but my DW and I were walking around the campground loop this weekend looking at all of the setups and she actually was talking about how it may be nice to have a Hybrid or other non-popup. When I was first considering moving from the tents to the PUP, it seemed like she needed convincing.

Now, I'm sure we won't be moving over there yet, but we were definitely discussing the conveniences of the hard-side campers.

Funny how things have changed.

2. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

That is a great reason to go the RV shows. I think we still like the canvas. Just not the sleeping on the dirt.

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

DW and I were wandering around doing the same when she spotted the 1st hybrid we had ever seen...The lady invited her in to take a tour and from that point the hunt was on for an HTT...

4. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I see the positive aspects of a TT or hybrid being: some have full shower and more crapper space, less noise from the outside while sleeping, and a little less rockin' while trying to get the knockin' [LOL]

The downside I see: more space for more junk to carry, more weight, more hitch, more to clean, rubber roof maintenance, bucking the wind and losing fuel mileage, everyone else wants to go with you because you have room, PITA leveling....to name a few.

I'll stick with my pup. No offense to those on the darkside. [:D]

5. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Hmm, not that I just purchased a HTT I will have to test that theory!!!!! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

6. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Give it a shot nandy! Just keep those test results to yourself [LOL]

7. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

my lips are sealed!!!!

8. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Hey don't forget that we gray and dark siders have ice cream and cookies..... [:D]

9. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

NO, wait, were is the ice cream you promise me!!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

10. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Our biggest positives that we thought about was the ease of stocking (don't have to pop up) and being able to pull over anywhere and sleep, fix lunch, etc.

I, actually, enjoy the sounds of the outdoors while I'm sleeping; so, that would actually be a downside for me.

With our teen kids along with us, we don't get much rockin'/knockin' in on most trips. We have to venture away for a "walk" if we want to do some smoochin' without the kids going "PDA!"

Definitely agree with your downsides, though.

I think we agreed (DW & I) that we like most aspects of the PUP better and will stick with it too.

11. sundancer1968

sundancer1968 New Member

Don't leave out the high walled pop up's.

they give you the extra space when up of a HTT or TT

enjoy the sounds of the outdoors while sleeping

and this is both a plus and a minus you are restricted on what you can carry because it is a PUP but you have to pop it up to load.

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Waiting for you in the freezer section.....will be up at Alice Lake in June

13. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

We got an HTT because we decided we wanted less effort on the setup. And more comfort. Back in, level up, pop out the slide. My husband and son get the bunk canvas and awning set up and I make beds and warm up supper on a Fri night. We are done in no time. And we have nice sofa to relax on if it's raining an we aren't outside. Plus huge amounts of leg room since both guys are very tall. And plenty of outdoorsy sounds because we have. An as on the bunk ends and lots of windows.

14. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

If I was to upgrade at this point, I'm thinking that a Hybrid would be my first choice. I think we'll stick with our PUP for now.

DS is a Sr. in High School next year; so, he'll be going off to college after that. When that happens, I suspect that he'll start losing interest in camping with us as much. Heck, maybe he'll even move toward getting his own small PUP or other camping rig.

DD#1 will be in HS for 4 more years & DD#2 is 3 years behind her.

15. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

Honestly you still hear EVERYTHING out doors. like the barking dogs all night long!! the loud exhaust pickups starting up early in the morning. I gotta admit I love my class A rv ,, for me and my dog it is so much easier that a pup or even any TT I can get it level by my self and it makes the 8 year old Diabetic puppy girl happy 'cause all he stuff is allway's out. Her little house on wheels

16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had both a glamper pup and Spartan bunkhouse hybrid. I prefer the hybrid.
    The previous pup required a truck to pull so I wasn't gaining easy or cheap to tow. The only pup advantages were storing in garage or traveling over (limited) rough terrain.

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Scary Thought - - -

If I went Tt Id look for true 4 season ability, shocks, and heavy duty running gear. I camp year round in a hybrid with pup tricks. PUGZ and relfecitix. Good sleeping bag, and auquatainers/hossack bucket crapper.
    [​IMG]

November to December offseason hunting. Close up bunk doors and sleep on bunkbeds.

18. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

The looking is where you get in trouble. We went from a tent to a popup I refurbed. (1965 Westholt cruiser, it's on here somewhere). Then, we went to an RV show. Many reasons, but primarily so we could have someplace to put the dogs in the heat. We bought a 19 footer, loved it, our life was complete.

Then we went to the RV show this winter (2 years after our first TT purchase). We just wanted the freebies and brochures. This Feb we took delivery of our new 26 foot bunkhouse (grandkid(s)).

But you know what, we enjoy it. Some people love their pups, we did. But being 50, I enjoy my comfort at the end of the day after spending all day enjoying nature. It creeps up on you, these comforts.

19. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

If I hit the lottery or come into a good inheritance, I'll consider the upgrade to something like the Starcraft 187TB. I would be sitting pretty with one of these.

[​IMG]

Room for everyone and still able to take advantage when not fully set-up (turtled).

Like I said, just looking for now, but it does make you salivate.

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The DW would also like a small TT or Hybrid!

For now we are enjoying the pup. But as we get older I'm all for going to the dark side. We do a lot of those one nighters while traveling cross country. Having our own bathroom on board is a big plus for those early morning walks!!