scent removal, TV

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by kitphantom, Mar 4, 2016.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We bought a NTU 2015 Chevy Colorado last weekend. Neither of us noticed the overpowering scent when we test drove it, but when we picked it up after detailing it definitively had a flowery odor. I though it might be Febreeze, but a friend (who has an acute sense of smell) doesn't think that's it. If DH and I missed it at the test drive, my next thought is the previous owner had one of those scented things that go in the air vents.
    The stink - for that is what it is to us - was so strong the day after we bought it that I could taste it by the time we got done moving things from the previous TV to the Colorado.
    So far, we have had the windows open as much as practical. I have a bag of activated charcoal in there. I've wiped all the hard surfaces with a mild cleaner. Last night, I left a fan going for 15 hours or so, with the windows cracked. It has started to abate, but it would be great to hurry it up - allergy season is beginning here, so our asthmatic selves do not need the added aggravation of whatever this smell is.
    Any other ideas? Definitely can't be anything that adds scent. I may put dishes of baking soda in it while it's parked at home, in addition to the fan and charcoal.
    BTW, so far, the Colorado is great, we are still in the process of figuring out the new configurations for cargo, etc. It's frustrating to have this weird issue.

2. Mally

Mally Member

Does it increase when the A/C is turned on?

I used to detail cars and sometimes when the vehicle didn't smell the best, we would spray some smoke odor remover spray into the AC vents.

3. kitphantom

No, it just seems to be general to the cab. If I turn the fan up and leave it on fresh air, it helps dissipate it for a while. That's one reason I'm afraid it is in the carpeting and/or upholstery, plus maybe on the hard surfaces. (I saw scented Amor-all yesterday, we haven't used Amor-all in a couple of decades, it fogs the windows in our climate). Wiping down the dash and doors with mild cleaner left it still shiny, though at least I can now get a good grip on the steering wheel. I tried putting a Command hook on the dash, and even after using an alcohol wipe in the spot I want the hook did not allow the Command strip to stick.

4. Mally

Mally Member

Hmm interesting.

If I was you, I would go buy me a bottle of Sprayway Window Cleaner.

https://www.zoro.com/sprayway-glass-cleaner-19-oz-white-sw050/i/G0509494/?gdffi=047ada998cf641fa93e55ae8579df863&gdfms=353997A31D8544F8836DA42712F8868B&gclid=CjwKEAiAgeW2BRDDtKaTne77ghgSJACq2U4bTSGWuM00pXx1EHNveW0SRA4ZeyN_4imNsRar4yHOihoC6KLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can probably find it locally. It is meant for windows, but you can literally use it on ANY surface.

I used to use this all the time, it is lightly scented, but the scent dissipates very quickly and should take any armor all of anything else off of any surface.

You can also get "Tough Stuff" for the carpet. Wont leave a smell, but will remove any smell thats there.

Sound like the detailing guys went overboard.

5. kitphantom

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I've seen Sprayway around here. I'll look for the other. It is rather frustrating since we like the rest of the vehicle so well! We haven't taken it on a trip yet, but unless it acts vastly different than we expect, we'll be keeping this for a couple of decades. (We traded in the 20 year-old Subie, the 2005 4Runner is demoted to secondary vehicle - but at least it's one I can drive without my back protesting.)

6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Some detailers and dealers use an ozone generator to try to de-stink a vehicle owned by a cigarette smoker. It works fairly well. Call around to see if this service is available in your area.

Did the Chevy Colorado come from Colorado? Maybe that flowery smell comes from combustion of dried flower bud heads from a tall, green, leafy plant ..............

7. kitphantom

I know I found a place locally that we considered to remove the smoke smell in the small used truck we bought in the late 90s, but DH decided that vehicle wasn't going to be worth the cost. I didn't drive it much, so he was the one who had to cope with the lingering odor.

Flowery yes, apparently not that smell - which is apparently one of the odors I can no longer detect. My friend with the sensitive nose commented on the odor wafting from a nearby car the other day - I never noticed. The fact that the scent in the Colorado is so strong to me (besides making my eyes itch and my asthma rumble) means it is either in the range I still have receptors for, or it is deadly strong for her. (Due to years of sinus infections and, finally, surgery, I have lost the ability to detect things such as food beginning to burn, smoke, milk beginning to go bad, etc.) I took two cats to the vet this morning, I can't imagine what they thought of the smell - they were more upset than usual to be riding in a vehicle.

8. R00

R00 Active Member

Sodium Bicarbonate

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm that doesn't exactly smell like flowers? At least not the good stuff. It smells more like one of those wild black and white kitty cats you see out in the woods. [LOL]

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Time to rent a carpet cleaner with upholstery attachment and hit all fabric and carpet surfaces. Straight water or no-scent cleaner.

11. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

All air fresheners last up to 20-25 days, have some patience. Meanwhile you can use one of the many scent-free odor eliminator products out there like http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zorbx-7-5-oz-Unscented-Odor-Remover-1750/203184561?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203286601-_-203184561-_-N or http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ology-odor-eliminator-spray-fragrance-free/ID=prod6190097-product.

If the smell doesn't go away after 25 days, please contact the PO and find out what brand he used, I'd love to know ! [:D]

12. R00

R00 Active Member

Seriously, sodium bicarbonate.

13. webhannet

webhannet Member

I'd call the dealer and ask what they might have used.

West Marine sells an odor and mold product that works. There is a fast and a slower acting formula. I've had great results with it.

14. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

My 07 dodge had the smell to but i did ask its were they cleaned the seat and carpet so after couple days the smell was gone.

15. kitphantom

It is very slowly getting a bit better, but a few minutes on the road and my eyes itch. My friend still refused to ride in it today, so it is still objectionable. We bought this last Saturday, so whatever they used is strong, unless they renewed it while it was in the shop to add the accessories (tonneau cover, brake controller and running boards/steps),
    I plan on putting large (shallow) pans of baking soda in it tomorrow, while we're home. I figure more surface area is better, but trying to keep it from spilling on the road would be interesting. In the meantime, the window are ajar and the fan is in there again tonight for 14 hours or so.

(Skunk is another odor that I have lost some ability to detect - fresh roadkill usually is noticeable, but more dissipated skunk usually goes unnoticed by me.)

16. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

If it had been used as a "rental" prior to you buying it there could be some air freshener's hidden throughout the vehicle. They sometimes do that. They don't want them visible as it suggests that their rentals are smelly.

Same thing if it had been used to move drugs, couriers use various air fresheners and other chemicals to mask the smell of drugs. Hoping it will fool police on a vehicle stop. It generally doesn't, usually presents as a "red flag" instead.

17. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

My go-to for removing smells is a solution of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a little Dawn dish detergent. Best used within minutes of mixing. It has worked wonders for de-skunking our dog and getting vomit stench out of leather furniture.

18. CherylL5156

CherylL5156 Vassar, MI USA

We've found simply crumpled up newspaper stuffed inside of whatever is 'offending' seems to absorb the odor. But only newsprint, not the shiny advert. stuff. However, getting enough to fill the cab of your truck might be a bit difficult. Just my [2C]! Good Luck!! [:(O] I am correct in assuming that your new TV is a pick-up?...or did I just make an a** of myself? :)

Unscented kitty litter also might help...

19. p

p Active Member

We had a 78 Bonaire put that was closed for 7 years. When we opened her up, the neighbours actually closed their windows because the smell was so bad.

I went out and bought lemon grass and tea tree oils and put about 20 drops of each in a diffuser ( a fancy type of mini spray bottle). I left a large window fan running in it for a week and sprayed the inside a couple times a day. We removed the mattresses...the smell was worst in them. Sprayed everything a couple times and at the end of the week...our neighbours liked us again.

It worked. I challenge anyone to have a trailer that smelled that bad.

Good luck.

20. kitphantom

@CherylL5156 Yes, it is a pickup truck, with a crew cab.
    It is about 1-1/2 years old (it's a 2015) and had a few hundred miles shy of 15K on it. It had originally been purchased at the same dealer we bought it from and serviced there. Given where the owners lived, 15K is not bad mileage; we put about 20K miles on our main vehicle in a year, traveling and my in-town driving.
    They had a least one kid, we found a lost toy in one of the spaces under the rear seat. Around here, having a pickup truck is common, even as a family vehicle. The 4Runner can be difficult to spot in a parking lot among all the trucks - having the Thule cargo box on it in camping season always helped that.

I am trying not to use any scent to get rid of this one. Even essential oils can be a problem, depending on what they are and how strong. I have some diffuser reeds and a non-irritating (to me) oil I bought for the first pup we had. However, I ended up not using it, exposure to fresh air got rid of the odor from the new tenting, paint, etc. My fear with this truck has been that the scent might have penetrated the seats. They have a tightly-woven fabric on them, so I'm hoping not.
    Today is windy (currently sustained mid-20s mph, gusts to mid-30s) and it looks like that's been going all night, with even higher gusts. Since the windows on the truck are open about an inch, that should help carry away the smell.