School and camping...

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Patrick w, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Last year was a fluke year; with the remote learning we were actually able to go camping quite a few times during the fall (pre camper), and still be "in school".

Id like to get out there just a few more times, does anyone just take their kids out for a day or two?

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We decided over the summer if the kids had virtual school agoin this year we were getting a mobile hotspot and camp during the week and the kids would still be able to do school. The school district is so far refusing to do virtual even though the kids have been home doing remote learning as much or more than they have been in school. One or both of the boys have been home at least part of every week since school has started. This is way harder than in person or virtual! No one knows where the kids are going to be learning and the kids can't get into a pattern. Before virtual they got good grades and in virtual they got even better grades. This year they are struggling to even maintain a passing average. We are looking into options, but it may cost us.

southern gal likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Oh boy , dont ask that! Lol.

Mark CASTELLANI and dylrhen like this.
  4. Sjm9911

5. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I missed that, but now just read through it. I'm on the firm stance that kids learn the most valuable lessons in life from family. The "boss" doesn't agree with me.
    It isn't that I don't value an education, I just don't value the thing they sling and call education today.
    Once they are older it becomes more critical but a day or two here and there makes absolutely no difference.

Mark CASTELLANI and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Ahh yep. I have already been "war driving" the camp grounds we like to see where I can get reliable 4glte and better. Some sites are way more reliable than others.
    The video zoom does eat quite a bit of bandwidth, and if you have a data cap that can be a problem.

Mark CASTELLANI and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Yup. Missing a day or two is ok with us. Couple of days in the boonies is valuable education in our opinion. Luckily we live in a place where the teachers generally agree. We pulled them last Thursday and Friday and took them to the desert. Along the way we looked at , touched and talked about. History, biology, geology, astronomy, geography and Native American culture.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Mark CASTELLANI and Karey like this.
  8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I missed a whole week my junior year of hs, no big deal. If you want, ask for stuff ahead or catch up when you get home. They'll learn far more camping with the family then some minor missed school.

Mark CASTELLANI, Karey and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. BillyMc

Really considering pulling them for a couple extra days for spring break this year to make our Grand Canyon trip easier. With family and camper that's going to be two overnight stay each way traveling and that's pushing it. I'd really like to have three nights each way and four days there.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

I will say if nothing else this last year, and now with the rehashed 9 11 anniversary fresh in my mind again, life is too short. Make memories while you can and provide the best you can. Thats all you can do. And only you know whats best for your kids and familly. For me, i just worked 34 hours straight, get 38 off and go back for 48 hours straight. My time , when i get to have off, is what i choose to do with it. And sometimes that dosen't mesh up with the kids school. I dont have a choice in my job , its what i do and how i make a decent, honest living. I do get to choose how i spend the little time i get with my family. Lol, rant over, i should have just said do it.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You work for 48 hrs straight with no sleep. I have trouble staying up for more than 24 hrs. You work must not be very physical.

12. Sjm9911

I would beg to differ on that one , lol. I am a paid firefighter and run a shift in a town that includes a college. Right next door to major inner cities. We like everyone else are short staffed due to covid, but have to maintain minimum staffing levels. Carrying a hundred pounds of equipment in 90 degree heat while going up 4 flights of stairs and holding a hose line thats like another 100 lbs with water is common place. So, yea, its a bit physical.

13. BillyMc

As soon as you posted your schedule my first thought was some type of first responder.

southern gal, Patrick w and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Sjm9911

And unfortunately, sometimes I don't get to pick when im off. So, one day I think i get to go home but, nope, I get ordered to stay. I cut my last 2 camping vacations short by a day because i got called to fill in the next day. They pay me, but it would be nice to not have to go into work on your vacation. I could say no sometimes but that leaves others working 48 hours straight, that sucks. You sleep for like a day when you get home. We try to make it fair, and spread the workload around untill we can fill the vacancies. I did go off on a little rant, but the 9 11 stuff was still bothering me. That was a long 3 days.

15. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

and of course.... thank you for your service. (though if you were on during 9/11 I think its time to retire.. unless they don't let you out after 20).

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

No thanks needed. It was something i was good at, and kinda a family thing. Father ,brother were both firefighters. Yea, we have 25 minimum on the job untill retirement, 30 is like the ideal. I have 25 done. I will stick it out a few more if i can. Someone has to be chief, lol! I Need to pass on the knowlage. Unfortunately, lots left our department and the new guys need guidance. Good thing is with age and rank is less heavy lifting ( though i still do that too), but the paperwork and mental lifting is sometimes heavier. All good. Just putting it put there that thier isnt a one size fits all for stuff, and that includes school and vacations. Sometimes you need to enjoy what you have when your able to. Ive seen too many that are not able to enjoy anything anymore. Make the most of what you have and enjoy it.

17. CarrolltonZack

CarrolltonZack New Member

Absolutely. Unless there is a test, lab, practice (we have two in performing arts) or some other thing that requires bodies in buildings we have no problem pulling the kids out of school for a couple of days. We send the appropriate notifications and make sure that any work is sent home or completed early. We've only experienced one or two teachers that grumbled a bit but nothing long lived.

To be clear we're not just pulling them to get a head start on a vacation or anything, but they have missed school for trips that included time sensitive events we felt were more important then that day in school. An example being the last complete solar eclipse. We were a few hours south of the full eclipse zone and felt that this once in a lifetime event warranted missing school, so we packed up and headed to north Georgia to give the kids that experience. It was worth it and the kids still talk about it today.

18. tml01

tml01 Member

It was much easier when kiddo was in elementary but in HS, he’s so much more involved. Between AP, sports, and 4-H, his schedule is full! I’m so grateful he dropped his livestock projects this year - that makes a big difference. Also, now that he’s older, we include him in the decision-making process - which is more important to him, what will he miss, what will it take to make it up? So far this year, we’re taking him out early on a Friday (missing two classes), so we can travel and get set up before dark for our trip to Seminole Canyon.

19. netslacker

netslacker Member

Last year was great for us, too. Lots of camping with remote school. However, this year our son is a senior and he’s got AP classes, colleges to figure out and apply to, STEM research and he picked up a part time job (because, why not busy every single open minute?!). So, camping this year will be limited to long weekends that don’t interfere with an extremely busy schedule (ha!).

20. southern gal

southern gal Member

I don’t know your kids ages or your location but in Georgia we have a really good Charter School program for high school students that has a remote (virtual) option. I’m a retired public school teacher and work part-time doing this. It’s a good program for students that can work at a regular pace at home. With parental support and motivation, the students can move at a good pace and even graduate early. Students do get a diploma - not a GED. You might be able to find something like this in your state.