School and camping...

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Patrick w, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Their young, so I do want them to develope their social skills. But the kids at the campgrounds usually do that quite well already. I do love watching them play together. Something very pure and innocent, before they become know it all teens.

2. OR_scott

OR_scott New Member

I’m a firm believer that church is important. But church doesn’t have to only happen within the 4 walls of a building labeled a church. The same goes for school. You can be schooling almost anywhere with kids. Barnyard or camp adventure. So many opportunities. State and board of Ed have a curriculum they deem important. But you parents are your kids best chance to overcome the systems shortcomings. Plus you get to frame it as fun!

3. Coulter Wood

Coulter Wood Member

This was the first year for my kids (6th and 8th grades) that they actually opposed being taken out of school for ONE DAY and it was a Friday. Constantly talking about how they don't wanna go, and when I offered them an out, they didn't want to do it. None the less, we're terrible parents and told them they were coming and we were gonna have fun, and Mom and I would help them get caught up. In reality, I think we all know that one Friday in those grades is just a fart in the wind. But I did respect their feelings, and we will work with the teachers to make sure everything is taken care of. I just wasn't gonna postpone or cancel a trip I planned ages ago. High school might be a bit different, but lord knows I skipped a few days in high school, and I turned out just fine. Trust me....

Mark CASTELLANI, OR_scott and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

After school started we heard of a charter school doing this. DW is looking into it, but changing once school has started isn't going to be as easy.

southern gal likes this.
  5. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad Member

Every spring and every fall my crew (preschool, grade1 and grade 3 now) go camping they miss about 2 Fridays before summer and 2 in the fall. They do half days on Fridays so that helps a lot. I figure it's the experience, memories and adventure more than make up for an occasional absence. A good education is critical for later in life but so is an appreciation of the outdoors and a fun childhood.

6. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

This is a 'hot topic' for me, personally. My kids are grown and in high school and they have so many activities that it is hard for me to schedule a trip. Specially, with the one who is in the marching band. Every weekend they have practice and now they are in the competition season. I have already had to cancel one trip :(. I understand the 'pain' others who are in the similar situation. Sometimes I feel like I just want to go camping alone...

OR_scott and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  7. dylrhen

dylrhen New Member

I agree with you, Derek.
    Oldest just started preschool with another at 18 mo, and we are having to get used to factoring in school. However, I think we just have to be intentional with our opportunities to teach. Your kids will be hovered around the fish as you clean it and explain the organs and the muscle that we cut off to eat. I mean, my 4-yr-old princess-loving daughter asked why the car overhead lamps can run our battery down when the car isn’t running, but it’s okay if it’s running. Like, what??! Kids are so smart, and we don’t give them credit for all that they can soak up.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  8. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Patrick w ... I've posted a couple of "thoughts" on this... I think @Sjm9911 posted a link to another thread on this topic...

anyway, last year, with COVID and the local School Dist. going "hybrid" then, "fully remote" then, back to "hybrid" we decided to go all in on Homeschooling and try to get a handle on all the "craiziness". DW is still working but, I retired in February so, that made all the difference in the world.

There are a BUNCH of "On-Line" Homeschool sites, with formal curriculums, out there. Our State publishes a roster of required course [per grade level] and we joined a couple of Home School sites and picked the courses that fit well with our kiddos. Many of the courses we chose also have "Text Books" that suppliment the "on-line" classes.

Our Teenager graduated this past Spring but, our DD is a 7th Grader this year. We just got back from spending a week camping in the mountains, on a remote Lake. Even though we didn't have internet service, I brought my laptop along and I've got each course outline downloaded so I don't have to rely on "service".

So, while the rest of the world has already started "In Building" school, where all the kids are MANDATED to wear masks all day, our DD was brathing clean air, hiking, biking, swimming, canoeing, paddleboarding, building campfires, cooking meals, LIVING LIFE TO IT'S FULLEST!!!... [PS: we even got a few "Museum Tours" in there, as well]...no fishing, though, 'cause "stupid me" FORGOT THE POLES... WHAT THE HECK!?!?!

We didn't do "formal" classes where we sat her down and grilled her on each course but, though out the week, we'd "quiz" her on how each activity related to a course... P.E. and Biology/Science...a no brainer... Math?.... asked her to calculate how much firewood we'd need for each day, then project that out for the week along with the cost of purchase... Health & Home Ecc.... again, a "no brainer"... Lanuage Arts/English?... we had the opportunity to experience how the Native Tribes communicated as well as how the English Language evolved from the time of the Pioneers in that region of the North.... pretty much covered "Social Studies/History/Civics" all in one.

I hope you get the picture

Bottom Line... regardless of whether, or not, anyone can dedicate a whole year of Homeschooling, each and EVERY TIME we go camping, our kids have always, ALWAYS been in "School".

The question is... how much of ourselves do each of us INVEST in our children?... and, WHO do we have to answer to?

Happy Trails!

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I feel your pain here. Once the little side kicked joined cheer it was essentially all over. Practice nearly every day, competitions, and games and on her off days she goes to work. During the summer she goes to cheer camp. I have it much easier than you, as I can go camping by myself, guilt free. I think I’ve only managed to take her on one trip since she started cheer and that was before she found a job. I’m crazy proud of her through, but I miss the little girl she was when we looked forward to a camping trip together. In another year she will be starting college she has her own life now. I can only sit and watch and pray she makes the right choices for her.

10. BillyMc

I feel your pain. When the DQT was in marching band it held the whole family hostage. The schedule is ridiculous. When her younger brother got in middle school the band teacher mentioned marching band at the beginning of the meet your kids teachers day. The comment was met with a firm "NOT GOING TO HAPPEN" from me before he could finish his sentence. I will not be party to that crap ever again. It became clear the all the best parts goes to the kid of the parent that donates the most regardless of talent or effort. He took regular band and discovered he didn't like it. Actually he did like it, he just didn't like the practice. It interfered with things he liked much better the trumpet. The DQT spent years putting in tons of hours volunteering for everything in band. She was the first there and the last to leave. She mastered multiple instruments. In her senior year she was the only one in her school to make it to region band. All in hopes of getting some stupid Sousa award. The award went to a lazy spoiled kid that always whined and threatened to quit band. His parents were big donors. She was devastated, saying over and over if it was just anyone else! Her life was music before that and now she doesn't play at all. She was physically fit and active, performed in church and a local band, and full of life. Now she has doubled in size, works part time, plays video games, and goes to community collage. Yet we are told that these programs build character. I say they crush many more than they build. In the end the whole family lost out on the best part of camping season so one child could have her dreams crushed, not to mention the small fortune it cost us. I guess it was a lesson in how the real world works, but there will never be another child in my care get that treatment.

11. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi @BillyMc , thanks for sharing this. I feel so sorry and heartbroken. I totally agree with you how the donation/volunteering is encouraged to a point that it defeats the purpose! And, specially, if someone does not get the reward and recognition for their hard work, it can be devastating - which it seems what happened. As you said, this is how the real world works (which is true in many cases), let this not divert your daughter from getting stronger. Please let her know that there are others who are wishing well and what she learned during marching band can make her stronger. Wish her all the best from me.

As for me, the marching band is OVER. My son is in senior year, so no more next year! My youngest is not doing marching band. He plays cello - so, in orchestra - and they do not have anything like marching band. So, I am glad.

I am hoping I can have some good camping time with the family next year before the boys leave for college - and have their own life.

Thanks for sharing your feelings, and again wish you and your family all the best.

southern gal and BillyMc like this.
  12. southern gal

southern gal Member

@BillyMc - I am so sorry your family, especially your daughter, had to go through this. This kind of behavior, whether it's band, cheerleading, dance or other sports, is so frustrating and especially painful when it happens to our kids. My husband and I taught at our local high school and knew how much practice the kids did with band and that they had to attend every football game and perform. Not to mention parades, etc. that they had to participate in. When our girls hit middle school and wanted to join band, we said no. I know a lot of people would think that is horrible of us but we stuck to our guns. The only reason they wanted to do it was because of some friends getting in it. Fast forward to high school and not a one of their close friends stuck with it. We had already let them choose one activity to be involved in. Our oldest was already in dance and the youngest decided to try sports in middle school. When she got to high school she made the volleyball team and really enjoyed that. Our girls were adopted from overseas and were in ESOL. Reading and writing was harder for them so we knew they would need more time on academics than a lot of kids. Thus the limitation to one activity. We didn't regret our choice at all.

Camper054 likes this.
  13. BillyMc

I don't find it horrible at all. Those that are subjecting their kids to it and allowing them to be treated in such a manner are the ones I question.

14. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Marching band in our district takes far less time than most sports do. I'm a band kid through and through (I still play trumpet in a local concert band) and wouldn't dream of telling my kids they couldn't be in band. But you do you lol.

15. BillyMc

Here it starts with band camp 6 days a week in mid summer. Then practice 3 days a week when school starts plus football games, parades, and competitions. Five to six months a year the entire family's life revolves around one child for four to five years. For most participants it's fun for a few years then they are done with it. For the rest of the family it controlled half their lives for several years, not to mentioned I could have bought her a really nice car for what band cost me. Now the only thing she has to show for it is her instruments collecting dust in the closet.
    Band isn't a problem, but that marching band is insane.

16. southern gal

southern gal Member

Maybe it's a regional difference because I see you are in Minnesota. Billy is in South Carolina and I am in South Georgia. Our marching band here is just like he described in his response to you. Kids start practicing in summer when it is 100+degrees heat index. They practice outside. They have to be monitored, have tons of water for the kids and still some kids pass out. That's just the beginning. They are heavily involved in practice and performances from June to December. I think the local Christmas parade in December is the last event of the year.

Jimbow likes this.
  17. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Our school starts after Labor Day... Marching Band starts in late August during the "School Day" for a week or two. Then after that, rehearsals are during school. They do 2 parades, maybe a half-dozen games, and if teams go to state, they play for them. Really doesn't take that much time since rehearsals are during school (it's a for-credit class). Like I said, unlike a sport, which would be outside of school.

I'm glad ours is much more manageable. My oldest is also in the top wind ensemble and top jazz band as a Junior (this is a school of nearly 4000 students so that's a big deal)

18. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I just had a player complain about not being scheduled for an out of town tournament and accused me of playing favorites and taking a freshman over a senior.

The senior misses one or two practices a week, cancelled out of a tournament the morning of saying he couldn't get a ride to school, and has never shot a tournament score near the freshman who . . .

Takes private lessons, never misses a team practice, plays tournaments outside of school. His parents are very involved as well and would never leave him without a ride. They also throw team parties and donate so other kids can play.

I'm wonder what their side of the story sounds like?

19. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

In Texas it's a long season with before or after school practices. Our band requires two buses, a semi trailer, and lots of parent time to function. It's August to December.

20. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

DW is Cellist (no joke)... she says that Marching Band was really problematic for her

Happy Trails!

BTW... I'm a brass player... Trumpet and Tuba... I practiced in our barn. I was given a brass Sousaphone that, ultimately, ended up as a "planter" in my first apartment. I hated Marching Band, but... ask me how I felt about Jazz Band

Jimbow likes this.