School me on Disney World CGs

Discussion in 'Florida' started by skeetercampsintexas, Jan 21, 2014.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I've just recently become aware of walt disney world having campgrounds? Is this true? Are they nice? Expensive? Tell me all about your experience and how you felt about staying there, any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Fort Wilderness which is the Disney owned campground inside the gates is amazing, but stupidly expensive. Campsites are rated from pop up or tent (cheapest) to premimum (most expensive) sites that are fully paved. The standard and the preferred (which are closer to the restaurant and boats to MK) are partially paved with a sand bed at the back of the site. Restrooms are always very nicely kept. There is a ton of stuff to do just around the campground like horseback riding, campfire sing-a-long, nightly movie, pool, kayak renting, etc. Things are very nice there, but I am not sure if they are worth the price that is being charged anymore. You can literally camp a month right outside the gate for what is charged for a week at the Fort.

I am a little (okay a lot) Disney obsessed. I will warn you that Disney is going major growth pains right now. They just converted their whole Fastpass system to a digital Fastpass system that has restricted the Fastpass use for all. They have also made it so only people who stay onsite (like at Fort Wilderness) are able to book their Fastpasses ahead of time. Everyone else has to wait to book the day of and stand in a line at the park. If you have gone to Disney before, I would do some serious research before you go. It isn't the same as it used to be.

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Disclaimer: I have NO knowledge of Disney campgrounds

But ..... aren't all things Disney just people traps set by a mouse?

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I. Just spent new years eve at epcot. As nice as it was never again! Park was overcrowded ,rides were 4 hour wait times, fast passes were unavailable abd prices were outragious. I been to disney 4 times ib my life but now over it! The new electronic wristbands for admission also gave alot of gliches.

5. Nixie

Nixie New Member

I used to snort Disney's pixie dust by the truckload. I used to think they could do no wrong. I now think they are just being greedy with their prices. I used to feel the prices were justified for the level of entertainment, cleanliness, friendliness you would encounter in the parks and in the resorts. I don't think so now. $16 for a hamburger. $100 for a one person ticket into the parks. Campground rates can be as high as $130 a night during the summer. I feel like they are all about the bottom line anymore. They want to get as much money, push as many people as they can through, with as little amount spent doing that as they can. I don't mean to rain on your Disney parade, but I want you to go into this with eyes open wide, so you don't spend a ton of money and are disappointed (which a lot of people going to Disney right now are). Instead of investing 2 billion dollars (like Universal did) in new rides and such, Disney chose to invest it in "crowd control" by limiting Fastpasses and tiering which rides can be Fastpassed. Instead of being able to ride Soarin' and Test Track at Epcot at different times during the day with Fastpasses obtained at different times during the day, you now have to choose Soarin' OR Test Track. Cannot be both. If you want to ride both, you will have to Fastpass Plus one of them at 60 days before your vacation and then stand in line for the other (which usually is a 60 - 90 min wait on low crowd days). If you are aware of all of this, stay on site, plan ahead, go during a low crowd time, and hit rope drops; you can still have a good vacation. If you aren't willing/can't do that, I would seriously look somewhere else.

6. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I will be on the other side. I go to Fort Wilderness several times a year and the question was about the campground. The CG is a bit expensive especially for popular times of the year, but I go during slow times and usually pay around $50 a night which is a little high, but there is a lot to do that is included and the bath houses are always clean and are air conditioned and heated. Once you stay a Fort Wilderness you will be comparing other CG to it. For more info than you can imagine, check out FortFiends.net.

7. thegeorgefamily06

thegeorgefamily06 Member

being that we live about 45 minutes from Fort Wilderness, we also go several times a year. We love it! Planning a trip for next month for a long weekend! We have never actually gone into the Magic Kingdom or any other park by my family (3 boys between 1 and 5) have no idea what they are missing. There is so much to do for just the price of the campground. The sing along with Chip & Dale every night is great! We love to just ride the boats and the monorail. The pool is not amazing, but very good. My boys could go on the waterslide the entire weekend!

If you get a chance to go at Christmas do it! The place is decked out! Other campers put up light displays on their site that will blow you away. We have made it a Christmas tradition to go one of the weekends during the holidays.

Everyone is right, once you stay there you will compare other campgrounds to it. The bathrooms are top notch. I know when I stay at other places I always wish their bathrooms were as nice as FW.

If you can swing it, the Trails End buffet for breakfast is a real winner too. Or head over the Polynesian resort and get a pork sandwich at Captain Cooks. They are awesome. And not just for theme park food, it really is good!

Another cool thing, if we get a premium site they will let us put our PUP on the same site as my in-laws class C. That is really nice to save a little coin on an expensive park.

All that to say, we love Fort Wilderness! I will stay there all the time.

8. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest as we're discussing taking the DD's for their first trip to Disney and staying at FW. There is a bit of disconnect between us Florida Residence and non-residence. First off it's not a long trek for us to travel from "most" places in FL (except maybe the panhandle) down to Orlando. Also we can more easily plan an off weekend a bit easier than those coming into the state. And lastly, though it doesn't save us much we do get special rates such as School Faculty/Teacher and Resident Discounts. Even for us with two little DD's we do have some planning to do ahead of time but not like what it may take if we were coming from states further away.

Doc

9. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

They no longer allow you to park 2 rvs on 1 lot. You can have a tent with a rv, but no a popup. We had to move our popup last time we tried it and have not seen any others do it since. Even the longtimers have had to remove their extra popup.

10. skeetercampsintexas

So basically, coming from texas I would assume this would be a $5000 plus trip! Thanks for the info guys, I didn't realize the CG could be so expensive! Seems like I should stay in my bubble and stick within the borders here [LOL]

11. golfnate07

golfnate07 Love 2 Camp

What is the 'off' season for Disney? It really doesn't get cold (compared to WI).

I have never been there, but very interested in going either honeymoon, or when the second child comes along...

Thank you for 'schooling' me on this location. :)

12. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

The off season is anytime when there is not a holiday or during the summer. Sept-first half November, After Jan 1-Feb , April-May is a good guess. If you look on Fort Wilderness pages, they list the value days un the rate pages, those are usually the least crowded times and they lower rates to encourage more campers.

13. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

I recently booked 6 nights for mid September, $1200.00 for camping and a 5 day pass for two of us into the parks. No food package as I will eat on my picnic table mostly.

Not sure how that becomes $5000 ? How many kids/adults ?

You can go online and get exact pricing without committing

14. skeetercampsintexas

I would be driving from Dallas, Tx in a 1997 7.3 diesel ford that gets about 15-18. Considering currently in my area diesel is $3.89/gal I could only assume fuel would be quite costly. Plus it'd be myself, DW and my son.

15. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

When the wife flew down while I was working in Florida last Fall, we drove over to Epcot for the day. I could see how Disney can get expensive quick.
    For the two of us, entrance fees, parking, lunch, dinner and some drinks I dropped a $500 bill easy. You only live once though so I can say I have been there.

To be honest Epcot didn't really do much for me. The only thing that I really liked was the sea aquarium thing. It was sort of boring. At least they have adult beverages at Epcot. I think that $500 would have been better spent at Magic or Animal Kingdom............................or a chartered bass trip on the St Johns river or an offshore trip maybe.

16. highside pup

Skeetter, sounds like the issue would be the TV and distance so even if the park was free you would spend a bunch [;)]

17. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I agree with the fishing trip more [:D] don't get me wrong, Disney park are nice, but to me I am over the whole thing, when my children were small, the novelty was greater I guess, was more of a vacation for them in other words. being in my ..50 ,s now, I have less interest in this sort of vacation spot . this year while starting my daughter in college in florida, I figured it would a nice to re visit since I was in the Orlando area. the last time we were there was during 911 when the parks closed. however, I was disappointed, we went to epcot on new years eve, and Hollywood studios new years day. and it was so crowded you could barley walk around. the resturaunts were booked soiled, couldn't get service without a reservation, the bathrooms were so overcrowded, they even had women using the stalls in the mens room. if I ever go again, it deff wont be that time of year . plus they had the same attractions there, that I saw 10 plus years ago. the new computerized wrist band system had alot of clich├ęs, plus the Disney staff seemed pretty be disorganized. for a multi billion dollar company I quess I expect more. so my question is what does Disney do with all there revenue? I never stayed at there camp ground but I hope it don't get to chaotic as the parks

18. skeetercampsintexas

I agree on this distance, but don't knock the TV! [LOL]

19. highside pup

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] You bought it !!!

Fuel is a big expense when towing regardless what you tow or what you tow with for sure.

I'm going this year as a 45th wedding anniversery . Kids are grown so just a nice camping trip with some park time. My last visit I'm sure

Was on the bucket list, Ft. Wilderness

20. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Last time I went to DW I did an internet/google/bing/expedia search for hotel deals. Stayed at a motel that was aligned with Disney right across from Disney Village. Drove 20 minutes to a timeshare and got 2 free breakfasts and 2 one day admissions to DW for free and all I had to do was tour the time share and listen to a sales talk while I ate breakfast. Total of three hours out of my life for breakfast and admission to DW. GOOD DEAL! That was 10 years ago, don't know if those deals are still available or not.