School me on Disney World CGs

Discussion in 'Florida' started by skeetercampsintexas, Jan 21, 2014.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

You're SOOOOO cheap! [LOL] I like your style though speck, gonna have to take a page from your book one of these days. On a side note this weekend is the final days of canadas here, and I've got several gaggles that come tree top high without a care in the world that come across my honey holedaily .

2. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

We are heading down from PA in less than 60 days, just made fastpass selections today. This will be our boys (7 & 9) first Disney experience so we are staying at the campground and doing 5 days at the parks. For the campground and park tickets and a couple other extras it is costing a little over $2000 plus probably another $700-$800 in gas to the tow the camper down there and another several hundred in food and souvenirs. We wanted the boys to have the full Disney experience and driving down and camping was quite a bit cheaper than flying down and staying at one of the other resorts, plus we should be able to do some of our meals at the camper and save some money on food.

3. thegeorgefamily06

thegeorgefamily06 Member

When did they make that change? I need to know, we just made reservations for next month. They let us do it over Thanksgiving weekend.

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Food was expensive. But not outragious i been to other places just as bad if u want to eat cheaper. Travel 5 minutes away on route 192w iro bronson hwy. tons of eaterys there! Plus publix supermarket to stock the camper i too drove down. Just about 1000 miles for me. Took 3 tanks roughly 60 gallons in my 4.7l grand cherokee one way. Without towing the pup. I hope you and your boys have a great time

5. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

About 1000 miles each way for us too. 8.1L Avalanche only gets 9-10 mpg while towing, so figuring on about 100 gallons each way. The boys are getting excited and Wendy and I are too. We love Disney, before we had kids we lived in Southern California about 20 minutes from Disneyland/California Adventure and had annual pass so we went all the time.

6. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Well, my family can easily spend from 5k - 7k on a Disney vacation. Tickets for 6 people for a week equals = 1,934.06. That is just tickets!

Best time to go to Disney are when the schools are in session. Times you want to avoid are major holidays, the whole summer, spring break times, etc. late August and September are slow. October is slowish, but has gotten busier with the Food and Wine Festival that happens at Epcot. November until the week of Thanksgiving is slowish. December up until the before and of Christmas is slowerish. January after the week of New Year's is really slow up until the MLKjr weekend. February until President's Day is slow. March and April are spring break season and very busy. Early May is slowerish. Late May until Late August is the busy summer season.

7. jasf

jasf New Member

The FW campground looks amazing! I took a tour while DW & DDs were occupied. Is it worth the cost? Probably not. What are memories worth? I'm not at all into amusement parks or attractions,but to see my kids having the time of their life was worth any cost. Mickey will get into your pocket & you won't even know it. In the end you probably won't care.

8. Cindy F

Cindy F New Member

We camp at Fort Wilderness 4-5 times a year. Towing the camper, it's an 8-9 hour drive from us, quite a long way to not even go to the parks [LOL] When we lived in Florida, we went to WDW every other weekend and got a bit burned out on the parks but never the campground.

We generally go for a week to 10 days at a time and might do a day or so at one of the WDW parks and maybe a day or two at Sea World *** interesting side note*** you can get the Florida resident rate on the annual pass "Funcard" at SeaWorld with any US resident ID for $99

I just can't explain the draw to Fort Wilderness, you have to stay there a few days and just take in everything they have to offer-- looping in the golf carts, making tie dyed Mickey shirts, Sing A Long with Chip and Dale, Campfire movie, Wishes fireworks on the beach, all the planned activities, swimming pool, electrical water pageant, golf cart parade, BBQ at the Pool, horseback riding....and so much more.

It's something you have to experience for yourself and then when you do, you're hooked :)

One of the best parts when the kids were younger was leaving Magic Kingdom, getting on a nearly empty campground resort launch and boating across the bay back to camp. No long lines for the monorail or ferry, followed by long tram lines, a long walk across the parking lot to the car, and a long drive to the hotel. Just a short boat ride across the lake and you're "home"

As a long time WDW guest I can give you the following tips:
    Avoid Magic Kingdom on Saturdays. If it's party season time ( Halloween or Christmas) avoid Magic Kingdom on the days they are NOT having the party. On party days the park closes early- people want to go on the days with the longest hours soooo the days when they aren't having the party is a nightmare.

New Year's Eve, Christmas Day, Fourth of July are all huge crowd days at the parks, and magic kingdom is the worst one. You couldn't pay me to go...especially since Fort Wilderness has a big New Year's Eve party with DJ on the beach followed by the fireworks...no crowds :)

You will hear kids saying "do we have to go to the parks today? I want to stay here!" That pretty much says it all about Fort Wilderness I think.

9. travisma

travisma New Member

For all things Fort Wilderness, go to www.fortfiends.net. They have answers to any question you can come up with about the Fort. They have trip reports, maps, pictures, site types and prices. There is also a Fort Fiends app for smartphones/tablets that has pictures and descriptions on about 99% of the sites.

Is it expensive? It can be, but the partial sites for tents and pop ups have water, electric and cable. They go from $50 to $80 depending on dates. But I've looked at KOA's that are just as much if not more.

When we camp there we don't even go to the parks, there is so much to do at the campground.

10. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

thur - sunday july popup site tickets/hopper and a meal and snack 1500 2 adults, or mystic ct 3 nights@ 35 gas 100 round trip.
    sorry mickey

11. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

My brother and sister in law both work for the big Mouse and they have a 4 bedroom In Orlando and I can get in for free better than camping and always hot running water.

12. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Thanks for this thread all! It has been really informative. We live about 2hrs from Disney and I have been thinking of camping at FW sometime. My kids have never been to Disney, but i think the MK would be boring for my almost 17yo DD and to overwhelming for my 11yo DS.

It sounds like there is so much to do at the CG that we could have a great time just staying there! I would go and explore all the things the different resorts have to offer. I hear there are some awesome things to see just at the different resorts without even entering any of the Parks!

13. huizarr

huizarr Member

There are obviously many opinions regard the whole Disney package. I will add my [2C]. We went to the Fort the first week of December 2013. We spent about $3700 for 3 'adults' (included kids over 10) and 2 children for the campground, park tickets (7 days) and dining plan. We spend about $1000 for fuel (towing from San Antonio, TX to Lake Buena Vista, FL) getting between 7.5 to 8 MPG.

We were able to get FastPass+ passes and rode Soaring and Test Track at Epcot on the same day. The Next day we were able to ride Soaring again. Fort Wilderness was fun, but if I am driving that far I am going to take advantage of the Parks. We really enjoy Magic kingdom, Hollywood Studio and Epcot (our Favorite). Did not care for Animal kingdom. As for the transportation, we rode the boat once. Had to wait almost 20 minutes and the boat was full. After that we had to get on a crowded bus to get back to the camp site. If you stay at the Fort (or any Disney resort) you get free parking at the parks. We took full advantage of that.

As an aside when we were there we did see teenagers enjoying themselves at Magic kingdom.

14. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay this past Friday I called and we're about to book the first weekend at FW. Florida Residence get a deal of 3 days for $129 until 11 Apr and so we're going to take advantage of that deal and then book a Friday/Sat at the Fort. The young lady I spoke with at their reservation number tells me that we should spend as much of Friday just checking out the FW area and that Sunday would be the better day to do MK either Sat or Sunday. That way we can save at least on day for another day down the road. She said since we're local to spend a full day at FW exploring everything including the lodge for dinner as the ages of our girls will fuel the fun.

15. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Have a great time abd post pics

16. travisma

travisma New Member

=============================================

That's a good price, when are you going?

Check out fortfiends.net for a lot of helpful info.

About 4 or 5 days before you go, you can fax in a loop/site request.

It may or may not be honored.

Spend more time at the Fort and less at the parks...unless you've never been to the parks.

17. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Travisma,

The link to Fort Friends is what sold my wife after she looked at the different topics. Also being able to cook at our site is going to save us a ton. And yes my DW and I had been going to DW about every 2 years and spending our time at a different resort every time but once the DD's were born we waited until now to take them since the youngest will be 4 in a few weeks and the oldest just turned 6 so they're hot to do MK and yes we're planning on heading down right after my oldest gets done with her lunch at school which means the DW and I only have to take a few hours of vacation time and we'll get there about 2.5 hrs later.

18. travisma

travisma New Member

What weekend are you heading there.

19. dgh123

dgh123 New Member

Re: When to go to Disney : I went with my girls to Universal , Disney, Sea World & Daytona Beach this past Sept 15 to Sept 20th 2013. It was off season no lines at all !!!!! great time! Every park was empty . My daughter went on the Harry Potter ride 6 times in a row . This was our second time visiting Orlando, first time was ten years ago Christmas. I remember lines but was decorated nice. Back then we asked employees when would they recommend a visit to Disney they said Sept.... For the money you spend it is worth taking he kids out of school. We also stayed at the Holiday Inn outside the gates of universal. We could walk to universal from the hotel ..... Stayed in the suite - very quite and clean. Have Fun !

20. rambus

rambus Member

Jeepin Dad, that's cheaper than a week at the Jersey shore!