Score at the Thrift Store

Discussion in 'Deals too good not to share!' started by Norfolk, May 26, 2011.

1. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Alright, I went back to the two Goodwill stores in my area today because they were having a 50% off sale.

I got a brand new condition RV shower head and hose for the outside shower on our Niagara for only $2. There is nothing wrong with our outside or inside shower now, but I figured that was a great price for a spare.

Also picked up a large freezer bag full of new travel / hotel soaps, shampoo's, & toothpaste for only $.50 cents. I will use them now on camping trips instead of bringing the large bottle of shampoo and bar soap from home like I do now.

This was fun today, nothing like the great deals found by others, but I am happy now. [A] lol

2. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

I have to be careful at the secondhand stores, and garage sales. I don't buy as much as I used to. Just the good stuff.

Here is my prize Goodwill find (so far).

[​IMG]

It's a 2 man/tandem Kayak from the early 70's complete with beautiful wooden paddles.

[​IMG]

Some repair required, but it's water tight, and allot of fun. All for $20.00!!! :shocked:

3. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Shuley, looks like a Classic (find)!

4. Loving life

Loving life New Member

I totally agree, thrift stores are the place to shop! I really racked up last year at Goodwill leaving out of there with 2 nice sleeping bags for the kids, several pots and pans, a complete set of silverware, a small color TV and other misc. items for under $30!

5. Reel Nauti

Reel Nauti Member

Wow, never thought of going to the Goodwill for camping stuff. Next stop-Goodwill

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I love shopping at Thrift and Goodwill stores. Last week I came home with a few really nice plastic containers. One is 1/2 gallon size and I'm going to use that for milk. I can tighten the lid real good and lay the container down in the refrigerator. That way I don't have to take a shelf out in the fridge to get the milk carton in. Other liquid containers, I'm going to make Ice tea, crystal lite or whatever and freeze it. They can be used in the cooler for cooling and we'll still have the liquids to drink. I also picked up some plastic storage containers etc. I plan to freeze some meals and/or leftovers and have them all ready to throw in the cooler when we head out. Some of the containers still had their stickers and labels on. Brand new. They were each less than $1.00. A lot less than brand new.

Be careful when you're buying pans at the thrift stores or good will though. I've seen lots of pans that had scratched/knicked teflon bottoms for sale there - and those pans should have been thrown away. That teflon stuff gets into our bodies once it starts coming loose and it's bad bad bad.

7. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

i usually try to go to the local salvation army a few times a month. Last time i was there i scored 2 of the 5 gallon clear plastic water containers with spouts and handles for 1.00 each, a battery operated fan just the right size for the PUP fridge for .50, and brand new in the box Coleman 5 piece pot and pan set for 5.00 to replace the aging set of pots and pans currently in the PUP, and a brand new version 2 TIVO DVR (40 gig) for 25.00!!! it was a good day.

8. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

That was a great deal.. I enjoy checking out those stores. I have found alot of great things..

9. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I'm with you here. I rarely find bargains. Of course, I don't look very much. It seems if I'm looking for a specific item, I never find it. The few things I do find are not what I was looking for in the first place.

10. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

Habitat for Humanity Thrift Stores

If you're looking for PVC, conduit, sheet metal, or almost any materials to rehab or improve your P'up, Habitat thrift stores are great! PVC pipe sells for pennies/foot, vinyl siding is $3.00/piece and you can also find countertop appliances and household electronics for VERY low prices. Let your creativity and imagination run wild -- at prices like these, you can afford to try those updates and improvements you've been thinking about.

11. scorp28

scorp28 Member

I have never thought about going to Goodwill or Salvation Army for camping gear and supplies. I will be hitting one or maybe both this weekend though :)

I did pick up one of the blue 5 gallon Coleman water carriers for $5 at a yard sale a few weeks ago. Not the deal of all deals by any means but still $10 less than new.

12. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

My best find for my pup at a thrift store so far was the roll of upholstery material for $10.00

13. bettyboopercindi

bettyboopercindi Bill And Cindi

Thrift Stores....GoodWill......Yard Sales......Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I just started looking for camping "stuff' but have shopped at these stores for years. My greatest find so far was a 30 Cup Coffee Urn. My PUP does not have a water heater and I thought I would be creative and get this. Now I cannot do without it. It is my "water heater" I use it for hot water for dishes, sink baths, hand washables, etc, Not to mention that I always have the hot water for coffee at my finger tips at all times. We love it.

14. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

This is a great time of year to score camping stuff, people want room in the garage to park out of the cold and just give stuff away !!!!!!!!

15. jmackeral

jmackeral Happy Camper in Northern MN

I love the thrift stores too, my latest find was a coleman stove, needs a good scrubbing, and then I 'll buy the propane adapter at gander mt. Built alot better than the new ones, imo. Will clean it up for one of the DS's when they want it.

16. Hanne

Hanne New Member

My local thrift store was running a storewide 50% off this weekend. I got lots of fabric yardage and sheets for camper use and for making curtains. I got a pair of thermal drapes, some storage containers, a hanging travel toiletry case, wire organizers, melamine plates, and nice heavy aluminum pie pans for camp cooking. All for about $12.
    We also stopped at our Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I was not real impressed overall, but we did find the perfect camper replacement vinyl flooring in a rustic wood plank pattern. It was $35, which is about the same as what you would pay at Lowes, but the quality may be a bit better. Maybe the store is just low on stock because so many people in this area got terrible flood damage during Lee, and they're buying up all the good items for rebuilding. All we saw was old stuff that really wasn't worth the price on it.

17. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

I scored a "new in box" DeLonghi cappuccino machine for $40.
    I'm always checking for 'stuff'.
    Since Norfolk is in VA that's PRIME hunting area as the military transients load the place up with all sorts of goodies.

18. Charley

Charley New Member

I just saw a wooden Kayak on Craigslist for 1,000. So the person that bought theirs for $20 including the paddles wow!! you scored BIG.

19. Whatfire

Whatfire New Member

Great idea! I am so going to steal this!

20. 4x2x2Kx2

4x2x2Kx2 3 Nights Camped in '12--but many more to go!

Never used percolater coffee pot for $5 at a local indoor flea-market. For this cheap/lightweight I figured 'why not'?

Also found (but don't need) a nicely stocked kitchen camp box for $50..."everything but the kitchen sink" as they say! If anyone near Charlotte would want to know where this one is, send me a PM.