Score at the Thrift Store

Discussion in 'Deals too good not to share!' started by Norfolk, May 26, 2011.

1. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I'm a big freecycler. I've gotten and given a lot of good stuff :) Such a great idea, especially when you live in a town that charges you $25 for 10 trash bags and will only pick up said trash bags curbside. Everything else goes to the dump and costs you $$.

2. jaycobug

jaycobug New Member

I LOVE garage sales and thrift stores....I got a Coleman Cooler last week for $5....still had the sticker on the front! My best find was a $450 metal detector that I got for $20....

3. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Bought this cool little wood stove for $ 40.00 and sold it the next day for $ 150.00

[​IMG]

Found this old rod and reel just yesterday

[​IMG]

These are wheel locks from 1970 still in original packaging. It says on the back they fit 67-71 Cameros,Chevelles,Corvettes, Firebirds and GTO's..... too cool .

[​IMG]

Yes its addicting, but I try to sell most of the stuff I buy and then we have a yard sale at the end of summer to liquidate.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Not quite thrift store, it was Scratch & Dent Sale to today at REI. Neoprene case which might fit my home laptop (haven't tried yet), zipper has a problem, if it won't fit, the fabric is worth the <$3 I paid. Folding table for camping, it is not adjustable like the one we just bought for a cooking work surface, but both will fit in less space than the folding table we have taken on group trips. It was returned as defective, looks like it was used for a long weekend, but for <$10 (list $60) it should work for a long time.

5. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Goodwill find last week: iRobot Roomba for $25. Nothing wrong with it and it was pretty clean underneath - just some fuzz in the roller brushes and a bit of dirt in the collector cup.

6. 4x2x2Kx2

4x2x2Kx2 3 Nights Camped in '12--but many more to go!

My Marinco 30A quick-connect adapter kit arrived today--snagged this one 'new in box' on eBay (first deal I've seen on there in a LONG time) for $43.00 shipped to my door! [:D] YAY! No more 'rasslin' the cord in the mouse-hole once the rain quits and I install the kit!

7. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I picked up a cast iron griddle and bacon skillet for less than $26.00

They need some love and attention though

8. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

I seem to have more luck at the church flea market/garage/rummage sales. This past winter DH and I found a vintage 1 gal Coleman water jug... $1 A Budweiser can cooler...$5 we ended up giving to a friend now he wants to make a 6 pack!... A Budweiser cooler probably from the late 70's... $3... a vintage camp toaster...$4 I now have a collection of vintage camping gear (>3 items!) and am always looking for more. My personal best find so far has been about 10 home made candles never burned for $2.00. I melt them down to make my own camp fire starters... I think I should be able to get over 300 starters from my $2.00 wax!

9. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

One of our hobbies is to cruise the rummage/garage/estate sales every weekend. We also have a Goodwill and a Salvation Army within two miles of us. My biggest problem is to not buy things that are a great price. I see things all the time but realistically, I don't really need them. Here's my last two finds. Both at garage sales.
    Coleman Roadtrip grill unused. $40.00
    [​IMG]
    Hamilton Beach combination electric griddle and skillet. $5.00 also unused.
    [​IMG]
    Forgot one more, a Black & Decker toaster oven for 25 cents. No picture of that one.

10. camper78

camper78 New Member

Sweet find. :)

11. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

you dont need that roadtrip grill, but you will love how it cooks !

and at 25% the cost of retail thats a steal !

12. baglady201

baglady201 Hippy chick since 1959

I got a microwave small enough to fit nicely in my pop up for 10. and 2 nice blankets for 3.00 each

13. Lablover

Lablover Member

I cant say enough about thrift stores. I cover my bunkend mattresses with duvets that I buy at thrift stores. Great deals

14. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Scored an iRoomba for $25 and it was like new (I have one already and know what used looks like!) and registered it w/the company. The side brush did not work, they sent me - no charge - a new brush unit. Didn't work and they sent a whole new iRoomba - no charge! Retail: $259 / my cost $25 + 7% tax and patience for the parts arrivals! (Not PUP related, but I had to brag!)

15. Rick Kelley

Rick Kelley Member

This was the "best find ever" for us. A Krups carafe coffee maker. A goodwill find, we thought it was a deal for $9.99 but it was a "green tag sale" and got it for $1.49. It couldn't have been used more than 3 or 4 times, it was very clean and no calcium build up! I told the sales clerk that she had rung it up wrong, but she showed me that it was on the green tag sale.......... I thought $9.99 was a great price but at $1.49 it was really a steal! We have used it 2 times and it works great. The carafe keeps the coffee hot and brews a pot of coffee in about 10 minutes.

16. BillNH60

BillNH60 a bad day camping is just better than working

$20 for a pack-a-potty at a benefit yard sale, probably could have given ten, but it was for a good cause.

17. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I stopped by the Goodwill Store today, looking for some camping stuff. I got a cast aluminum Coleman Griddle for $7.99. It was still in the box! I also picked up a brand new (labels still on it) Charcoal Chimney for $3.99. I didn't need one of those because we have one (got it on sale for $14.99) but I couldn't pass up buying it anyway. I did drop the ball on one thing though... I saw a stainless steel pot with steel handles on the side and a carrying handle so it can be hung. I thought about it... decided no... then walked back to get it just as someone else was picking it up and putting it in their cart. Dumb Dumb. It was only $1.00!! Why did I hesitate? I realize now it was a stainless steel dutch oven. It would've been good for something! I feel happy about what I did get though.

18. sturedman

sturedman New Member

At a yard sale yesterday, I got 3 10" cast iron skillets, all with bags and gloves. A flat 2 sided griddle with a bag for it. A 10qt DO with lid remover and glove. All brand new, with a nice wooden crate they all store in. All of that for $9.00 lol. I couldn't believe it. Glad I got there early [:D].

19. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

What a steal!!! You are SO lucky.

20. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Yesterday I got a nice Weber 22 inch kettle and a Weber 18 inch kettle a Mecko smoker and a Lodge Hibachi all from the same guy for $ 40 .00.