score Microsoft Surface Tablet

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by lbcarr87, Jan 15, 2014.

1. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

My DW scored again at her work and was given a free Microsoft Surface Tablet. Does anyone have one of these? What do you think of it? How useful do you find it?
    We already have an I pad, an I mac, & a PC for home use but I was thinking of dedicating this one to the camper for those sites where WiFi is available & maybe for taking photos etc.

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

The Lady From Little Rock got one because she travels a lot, but she's very disappointed.
    The RT ("Real Tiny" :) ) operating system is a very-much-reduced version of "real" windows 8, they took out all sorts of useful stuff, to the point where it's really just a game/music box.

It's only advantage is size/weight, but by the time you get the add-on keyboard, and the sleeve to keep it all together, you might as well use a netbook.

Unless you especially need the screen size, consider a good phone,which will do much the same, and fit in your pocket. Makes phone calls too :)

3. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Love my iPad, but my Surface Tablet is not usable. I've tried for hours to use it, but just gave up.

4. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

A friend bought a mini-ipad....he loves it.
    I was given an ipad from work..........love it.

My aunt had those tablet-look-alike devices and she hated it........so....dunno.

See if you can sell it off ebay or donate to your local religion of choice.....sorry.

5. gruss

gruss Active Member

What wasn't usable on the surface? I have one at work and it's great. Metro app selection is a little weak, but since the one I have (not RT) is full blown windows I can pretty much do anything I could with any pc with the added bonus of a few apps for like netflix, vimeo etc.

6. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

I'd guess you got the "surface pro".
    That's the one where they charge you extra for all the features they took out....

7. gruss

gruss Active Member

how do you figure they charge extra? It was cheaper than an iPad and way more useful. Yeah way more than an RT but cosidering it has an i5 and 4 gig of ram wasn't a bad deal at all.

8. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

the surface pro is a very good device. if you got the regular one it will good for netflix and checkin your email. the pro is a fully functional pc. get an external dvd drive or good size flash and load or take some movies.

9. psteele

psteele New Member

According to this article, it sounds like Windows RT doesn't have much of a future.

10. gruss

gruss Active Member

True, but Windows 8 isn't going anywhere.

11. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Well, our family has one of each.

I bought DW a Surface 2 (RT) last Thanksgiving when her laptop died. She kills them at the power connector. Before it's dead, I usually have to replace the power cord at least once. The Surface does everything she needs it to do. Office is included, and I've been able to find apps for what she wants to do. Which is email, Facebook and Pinterest. And solitaire.

I picked up a Surface Pro 2 a month or so later. This is now my computer for most everything. I still have a MacBook, HP laptop and a shared family desktop.

12. colby

colby Member

We have two of the original RT versions and two Dell Venue Pros (8"). You can't get the RTs out of the kids hands (13 and 14). They are using them for school, watching Netflix, playing games and watching videos. My Venue Pro is carried around everywhere, with Skype, it's a big phone as long as there is Wi-Fi.
    -------------
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk