Screen Room attachment modification questions

Jul 20, 2014
I have a 1996 Starcraft Comet, 817, with the added screen room that fits either the Comet or the Meteor from that year. It attaches with zippers to the awning, front and sides, and has sleeves that snap around the lift posts. It also is supposed to snap onto the sidewall of the roof above the lift posts and onto the sidewall of the camper below the lift posts, but after years of use, many of these snaps have broken, torn out, or simply do not work particularly well. Plus, where we camp mosquitoes are numerous, so we generally add duct tape above and below the lift posts!

I'm considering replacing the snaps that no longer work well, and wondered if I could use Velcro rather than snaps. I would glue the hook side of outdoor Velcro to the camper and sew the loop side to the screen room. Has anyone tried this? Is it stupid?

I don't have pictures right now, as the camper is in the garage and cannot be fully raised in there.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
I have used “Auto” adhesive Velcro for several projects. It adheres well to a surface that is clean and dry. I use a heat gun on low to help set the glue. Available on Amazon in various lengths and widths, it cuts well with shears or razor knife. Adhesive seems weatherproof.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
The only thing I can think will be a problem is keeping it clean when the camper is in storage. Velcro seems to pickup dirt and trap it weakening the Velcro power over time. You could try to keep scrap pieces of velcro to use as a cover that may keep dirt away.