Screen room or E-Z UP?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nighthawk, Aug 10, 2011.

1. nighthawk

nighthawk New Member

Trying to decide between an E-Z UP and a screened room like the Coleman.

Ez up is $90
    Screened room is $103

Ez up screen accessory is $60.

What should I do? We have a baby so we want the screen the most but also want it for shade. The ez up seems to be better built and less complicated. We could also take it to the beach. Whereas the screened room can't really go to the beach.

Ahhhhh

2. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

The biting flies last weekend = get the screen room!

3. flyweed

flyweed New Member

do both..we have both and use both...the screen room/ADD on the camper comes in handy for just sitting out in the evening..or sometimes our kids even sleep out there. We keep our porta potti out there too.

We have an EZ up with screen walls, that we setup over the picnic table...and eat in there, so we can eat without alot of bugs and other creepy crawleys.

Dan

4. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

We had a screen room attachment for our popup awning. It was nice and it really did help keep bugs out. It gave us additional living room for the camper when family members came along. It also had solid sides that rolled up or down, which was nice to keep out rain or sun. However, we probably only used it 2 or 3 times in two years because ours was kind of a pain to attach and to take down. We found that for us it was too much hassle for just a weekend trip. For longer camping trips, it was definitely worth the extra work. We also have a Coleman canopy that we put up over the picnic table, but it's just for rain protection and shade. It has no screen attachments. I'd say if you're wanting something portable, you'd have to go with the EZ Up. You'll find that everyone has different opinions on these things. It's a personal preference thing.

5. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Do you mean the Coleman add a room that attaches to your awning or a separate Coleman screen room tent?

We have two EZ Ups, one with screens. We use them for over the picnic table, at our church's outdoor events, yard sales, & we have used them at the beach also. They are easy to get up/take down. I have no experience with the add a room or the Coleman tent screen, but I know others will chime in.

6. Lizooki

Lizooki getting back 2 nature

The EZ-UP type of canopy would be way more versatile and portable .... except I wpuldn't get a regular Ez-up or Quick Shade.
    We have the Quick Shade and it's heavy ... no .... HEAVY! We have used it hundresd of times in the 12 years we've owned it .... church, camping , Amateur Radio outings and music festivals ( I build and selll cigae box guitars).
    Still going strong .... but still heavy.
    Dicks had some on sale that are lightweight and would work great. We now have a lighter one that was bent and left in the trash at a festival. My youngest daughter dug out out and brought it home .... works fine. I would carry it to the beach if needed.

Matt

btw- sorry for the long first post!

7. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I have a little hexagonal screen room (actually 132 sq ft inside - roughly 12 x 14) I purchased mainly because it was cheap and light. Though it's made with very light weight material it has lasted several years and still looks brand new. Ez-ups are much easier and quicker to set-up, but they weigh over three times as much (and take up twice the room in storage) of my hexagonal screen room (maybe 75 lbs with screen walls vs 25 lbs for my screen room.) Sierra makes an EZ-UP clone that's a lot lighter, with thinner material if weight is an issue for you, like it is for me. Though I haven't seen screen walls for it, you might be able to adapt the ez-up walls to fit. Weight was the deal breaker for me, as I am at my weight limit now. I only erect it if I'm going to be in a location for 3 days or more as it takes about 15 minutes to set-up and stake down (maybe 10 minutes to breakdown and stow.) For many, that might not sound like much, but it's a huge difference compared to the 30 second pop-up and take down of my Aliner. One note, I have filled the bends in the poles with epoxy fiberglass resin to increase their strength, as this is the hex screen room's weakest part. It would bend there if trying to erect with only one person. If you get one, I highly recommend this easy mod.

Chip

8. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

If you do not have either, purchase the EZ up with the Screen. You will get more use out of it like others have said. Picnic's, beach, BBQ, Tailgating, heck I set it up on Halloween when it is drizziling (like it always seems to) and the neighbors and I sit under it drinking beer and handing out candy.

I would buy the real EZ up or other good brand and not buy the cheap one from dicks or walmart. The heaviness is because it is built stronger and will last longer. I have used mine for 10 years at flea markets and camping and various other events with no trouble with the poles and mechanics of it. After 10 years I do have a small rip in the corner but it still works fine keeping the rain and sun off. I see brand new cheap ones twisted up all the time at flea markets.

9. DavidR

DavidR Member

We just bought our camper, and it came with a screen room. I'm not sure yet how much we will use it.

I have had the Dick's version of the EZ Up for several years, and I love it. We have the solid and the screen attachments, so we can set up whatever we need as conditions warrant. What's nice is that each attachment covers one full side and wraps around to cover half of the adjacent two sides. Two attachments zip together and will cover all four sides, and you can mix and match solid and screen attachments. We've rarely used the screen attachments, but we use the solid attachments all the time. We camp with 1-4 other families, and it's great to get out of the rain...we've played a lot of cards under it. :)

I haven't shopped for a canopy in years, but the one I bought went on sale a lot. I don't think I have more than $120 into the canopy and the four attachments.

Now that we have the camper, we'll use the awning primarily. I'll still bring the canopy though, and put it over the ex-pens for some shade for our greyhound. The attachments are packed in the storage trunk, so we'll have them if needed.

Edited to add: Our canopy has been through a lot of rain and wind, and has help up very well. I do always stake it down, and I take good care of the fabric.

10. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

We have never used the Add-A-Room that came with the pup (we bought used and it was included). Ours, at least is not very big--don't think we could even fit the picnic table inside and have any room to move around. We DO deploy the awning often--the shade and rain protection is nice. I guess we're spoiled---our old (1960s) basically home-made camper had a HUGE screen room, that was lots of usable space. The one on the pup , I think would give me claustrophobia! I'd vote for the EZ-Up.

11. Srt4inliny

Srt4inliny "It ain't campin if ya can't hear nature"

12. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

It's certainly light enough and cheap enough - I like. Plus it looks like it would set-up faster than mine too. I'd say go for it. If it only lasts a season or two you'd have gotten your money's worth. Just be sure to stake it down well, as I'm sure it would make a great sail in the slight breeze as it is so light (a two edged sword.)

Chip

13. dubluvr

dubluvr Life Is Good

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Yup dub, that's a nice choice. We passed on one like that for one with straight walls..a few guys in our group are quite tall and the slanted walls made them have to sit further "in", which just killed our floor space.
    [:D]

15. Micah

Micah If you can't smell canvas you're not camping...

I think I'd get the ez-up. My Palomino has a screen room, screens/solid walls for the awning, but I've never used it, seems like it would be a really hassle to put up/take down.

The ez-up awning with screen would be nice IMO because you can put it anywhere, including over your picnic table... more versatile.

16. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

I am going to recommend this one from Gander Mountain.

I got mine on Wednesday at the store where they are on sale for 159.00 and include the screens and 3 wind/privacy panels.