screen shelter?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by kcrouth, Sep 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. kcrouth

kcrouth New Member

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Looks cool, but setup time looks to me will be a big downside to having it much like a regular tent. It does look very versatile. I can see why you are interested and would be curious what you find out. Every screenhouse seems to have positives and negatives but nearly $500 is an ouch to the wallet.

Sjm9911 and kcrouth like this.
  3. kcrouth

kcrouth New Member

if this looks good, we'll certainly shop around for a better price :) $

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Gazelle and clams are popular , they do get hot inside due to the fine mesh of the screening. Good news no bugs. Aldi also has a knockoff in stores for about 150 . Not sure how it will hold up. The one you linked looks good, but I would have the same reservations as above.

kitphantom and kcrouth like this.
  5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't have that but I have a similar style one. It takes an army to set up but it is awesome when it is done. Worth getting a more luxurious/heavy/pain-to-set-up model like you're looking at for the situation you're planning. Mine has kept groups dry and uneaten and holds up to wind well. Make sure it is large enough if you intend to use it over picnic tables.

kcrouth likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We have the LL Bean Screenhouse. It isn't good in many winds so we have to be picky about where we use it - the good news is that many of the places we camp aren't buggy.
    The way REI is rating the size of the is sleeping capacity - which basically means side-by-side-by-side (we've had various REI tents for 30+ years), so you need to judge how many it will be useful for as you intend to use it.
    I have been in a Clam or a Clam-clone. I would like one of them, I've seen one version that has some screens that zip open. As others have commented, the screens block a surprising amount of air, just as they do in a tent or popup.
    Any shade structure need to have good stakes, at least in our experience. We have military surplus metal ones that we've used for years, after the extra large plastic ones we'd bought for a canopy years ago pulled out of the ground. The nails or skinny skewers included with canopies and the like are generally useless where we camp.

[Our current main shelter is a Big Agnes one, which is open, we have two wind walls for it. The screen house is used maybe once a year. I could have used it last week on a coupe of days, since there were a few biting flies, we were in a campsite we have used the screen house in before, when flies and mosquitoes were out in force, but I was too lazy to put it up by myself.]

kcrouth likes this.
  7. kcrouth

kcrouth New Member

if you don't mind sharing, what make and model do you have?

8. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

We have the traveler clam, it's perfect for either a kitchen or for four people to sit inside, we bought the wind screens, wish we would've remembered them last time, we had 40 mph, then 76 mph winds, but I don't think anything would've stayed up.

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

OK...went to the garage and looked at it. It is less similar to the Eureka one than I remembered, but similar enough to say yeah you want a big ol thing for group camping. Even if you don't go with the Eureka, I think you will want something much larger than a clamshell. So I approve of what you are looking for but cannot endorse a particular model. :)

Mine is not good for a one-nighter. We usually just take a smaller, lighter one that doesn't offer sun or rain protection.

I'm sure it's been discontinued since I bought it cheap on clearance about 15 years ago and it's not even a real brand. Found a random internet link--note the weight (these are not aluminum poles!). But also note the size. http://campingtentsandcanopies.biz/...utdoor-tent-picnic-camping-canopy-15x13-case/

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have use a hexagonal screen tent for the past 25+ years (see below). It was great and very durable, but it is close to being in need of replacement (roof fabric is getting thin and leaky). My next one will be of the EZup (Clam, Gazelle, etc...) style. Setting up any screen tent that has to have the poles assembled is no longer an option for me because of the time it takes to set up and tear down. It is now all about setup and teardown time.
    Kansas Setup 02.jpg

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Gazelle has a new model out. But all sold out or $$$$ because its all sold out. This is the new one. Looks similer to the ops. But without the work. They still have the reguler ones for sale. If i needed one i would wait for these to come back in stock, or at least for a little cheaper. Dont know if that will happen or not.

12. dickparkans

dickparkans New Member Silver Supporting Member

I had a Clam. It took 60 seconds to set up or take down. The problem was no ventilation. I only used it once and then sold it cheap just to get rid of it. It was just too warm inside

kcrouth likes this.
  13. StarCamper

StarCamper Member

Depends on what you'll use it for and expected weather. 10'x10' is a pretty small footprint. If it's going over a picnic table you'll barely have room to move around. And the price seems excessive.
    We have a big old Eddie Bauer we love with straight sides in need of some repair and a coleman 15x13 with slanted sides. The coleman fits the picnic table without issue but the angled sides restricts movement some.
    Keep looking, you'll find something better.

kcrouth likes this.
  14. kenbrady

kenbrady New Member

we have a Eureka hex the trick is to put roof pole together ten clip on tent then put lgs on and clip them in to the inserts on the tent as you go. easier with two people but not too bad for one. Euraka tents are extremely well made

kcrouth likes this.
  15. kcrouth

kcrouth New Member

Yes, the reason i looked at Eureka first is that we have a 33+ year old Eureka hex tent which is still in good shape, the aluminum poles are strong and durable.

16. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

We met someone who had a big shelter it was a Nemo, really nice, but expensive.

17. BillBarbara

BillBarbara New Member

18. mamo1aw

mamo1aw New Member

19. mamo1aw

mamo1aw New Member

We are using one this weekend for the first time. We have the 12’ x 12’ size. Very spacious and not difficult to set up. We are using it as a screen house. It is an older model and we purchased it from another family. We have the optional floor also but I don’t think we would use it as our main shelter.

20. mamo1aw

mamo1aw New Member

Real good quality great for family gatherings, too big for a couple.

21. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I have the northern breeze 12. It is very sturdy and durable. It is not that hard to set up, but you do need two people. Pros, large enough for the picnic table plus several chairs, can use it in all weather, even heavy rain, hook at top for light at night. Cons, packs large and is pretty heavy. Will get hot in direct sun , side panels must be up, the solid ones, screens do block air flow.

Basically, it functions as another large room for any purpose. If you need a durable, long lasting room that will function in any weather, it works well.