SD - Custer State Park

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by bearair, Aug 26, 2010.

1. bearair

bearair New Member

Just got back from a great week long trip to Custer State Park in the Black Hills area. Stayed At Legion Lake campground. Wife even said it was very clean, well except for the occasional buffalo pie. The campground was just redone last year with new asphalt and every sight was paved for a nice smooth, fairly level parking area. The camp sights have very little shade but are far enough apart so you don't feel like you're on top of the next sight. We really enjoyed the chuck wagon ride and dinner based out of Blue Bell. Saw Lots of wildlife including antelope, big horn sheep, deer both white tail and mule, and of course buffalo. One buffalo even bumped our PUP one morning waking me up. Legion Lake has a nice sandy bottom beach, the water is clear and cool. Refreshing after a hot day touring Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse in 100 Degree weather.
    There was so much to do that we didn't get everything in. Besides the above we toured the Mammoth dig in Hot Springs. Walked through Wind Cave. Traveled to Deadwood and Leed and visited Homestake mine, Broken Boot gold mine (my DD's favorite activity) and drove through Spearfish canyon (which was OK but now that I've been there and done that I don't need to do it again). And of course the drive through the Bad Lands on the way home made it the best family vacation we've been on.

I cant wait to out-do this trip next year!

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

That trip sounds familiar. We spent a week at Custer this summer also. I just have not gotten around to posting about it yet. We did most of the same things you did. We stayed at Grace Coolidge campground which has a stream running through it instead of a lake. We swam in Sylvan lake a couple of evenings. We also made a side trip to Devils tower, just over the Wyoming border. If you go back, try panning for gold at Wades mill in Hill City. We liked it much better than Broken boot.

We first stayed at Custer two summers ago on our way out to Yellowstone. We thought there would be enough to spend an entire week in the black hills area, and of course we where right. Since my sister is moving to Spearfish in a couple of months, I can see us spending quite a bit more time in the area.

3. maromeo

maromeo Member

Bearair,

We stayed at Legion Lake CG also in 2004. Someone stated that they were installing electric and water at the sites. Has that been done? When we were there it was only dry camping.

Thanks.

Mary

4. bearair

bearair New Member

Mary,

Yes, they put in electricity last year. Along with a new bathroom and shower building.