Seam sealer on tent ends, Inside, outside, or Both?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by yothersa, Jul 13, 2015.

1. yothersa

yothersa New Member

I am in the process of buying a used 2013 Coachman Apex 151RBX hybrid expandable camper. Moving up from a 1995 Coleman Cedar XL popup. I am fairly sure that I will be sealing the seams on the tenting of the bed ends on the NTU Apex. I guess I have two questions. What would be the most recommended sealer for the seams on this particular model and also when using the seam sealer, is it best to apply the product on the inside of the tent seams, the outside, or both. Would the same product be used inside and out or would that mean two different products. (I know that ended up being three questions)

2. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

From my experience of selling tents for a few years I have come up with a good answer. Use the tent before you worry about sealing the seam (unless the manufacture recommends it). Most new seams are water tight and do not need any additional seam sealing.

3. yothersa

yothersa New Member

Thank you. I am trying to get some education on what to do when the need arises so I will already know which direction to go. I certainly wont do unnecessary work.

4. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

if the tent ends were "seasoned" as they should have been, no seam sealer should be necessary.

in nearly 9 years of owning our hybrid, i seasoned the tent ends as the canvas manufacturer instructions stated.
    have never needed any seam sealer after all these years.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You need to find out if it leaks first. Also sometimes after sitting up unused the tent need to be wet a couple of times for the thread at the seams to re-swell. If it still leaks there is a lot of sealers to pick from.

6. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

What does seasoning mean in this context, please? Our tenting doesn't leak at the seams, but every time we pop up the bunks have bits of old seam sealer on them. Someone sealed it in the past. I won't redo it if it's not necessary, so knowing about seasoning could be important. :) Thanks.

Lizabeth

7. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Exactly what nineoaks said.
    same thing you're supposed to do on popups.
    Wet down canvas and seams, then let dry out

8. yothersa

yothersa New Member

Thank you everyone. I am still hoping to get at least a partial answer to my original question. IF I have to seal the seams on the bunk ends, will I seal inside or outside or both?

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I have not had to seal any seam in the bunk ends but if I were to, I would do the outside only to start. And again...only if there is evidence of leaking. Let the problem present itself first, then solve it. There's lots of other things to research that you WILL be dealing with, like holding tanks/waste management, etc.

If sealing them on the outside does not work, then apply to the inside. The Coleman brand of seam sealer should not be used as it has no longevity, will peel up in sections, stick to itself when it gets hot (as it does here in AR and elsewhere). I'm not sure what else to use but I would not get whatever seam sealer is available at WM, Target, etc in their camping gear sections. Do some other research if and when the issue warrants but stay away from that stuff with the fuzzy applicator bottle at the big box stores.

On a 2013 model, it sounds like you're looking to solve a problem that, by all rights, should not be a problem short of a manufacturing defect or the seams never having been exposed to water before you owning it.

10. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Best to use it on both inside and outside. No valid reason not to do both inside and out. Seams that leak generally are wicking or seeping water in. The more seam sealer you get on those threads and in those holes, the better. I ha buddy that swears by wax, but I use seam sealer from the camper store. Both work, but the wax is cheaper.