seam sealer

UDcampermom

Aug 29, 2013
Hi! Silly question, but is seam sealer applied on the outside of the camper or the inside or both? We have been cleaning our N2U pup and getting it ready for our first camping trip. Some of the old seam sealer is flaking off. Also, is it good to spray the tent ends or not? Thanks so much for your help!! :)

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Seam sealer is for the seams. Spray the inside at all the stitched areas. You can spay from the outside if you want but it will only do any good on the seams. If you outside is vinyl covered sealant will do no good and is not necessary.

UDcampermom

Aug 29, 2013
Thanks! I actually made a mistake and asked two questions instead of one so that was confusing. I should have just kept the seam sealer question. So, we just put the seam sealer on the inside? We don't need to put the seam sealer on the outside of the seam too?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Inside works well.

You said the original was flaking? Look closely, some of us have encountered flaking that is actually basting tape used int he assembly of the tenting, to hold the seams together before being sewn. It stays in the seam line, and eventually can flake off. Doesn't' seem to hut anything, just worries people until they figure out what it is. Sealing the seams is a good idea, if you don't know if/when it has been done, or if you have experienced seepage or leakage.

Not sure what you mean by spraying the bunk ends. If you have fabric canvas, re-waterproofing is the step after a good cleaning.

UDcampermom

Aug 29, 2013
Thanks, kitphantom! Yes, I meant waterproofing. We haven't had the camper out yet because we bought it this past spring. The canvas looks to be in really good shape. We just weren't sure if waterproofing is something that needs to be done yearly. I think we will just do the seam sealer for now. Thanks for explaining the flaking. That makes sense.

inthedirt

Super Active Member
Aug 28, 2012
SW Montana
Saw a recipe for some homemade waterproofing material at a fraction of the cost of name brand, store-bought stuff. One container of mineral spirits mixed with half a tube of clear silicone. Mix well, spray on the canvas, and let dry.

Considering I just bleached the crap out of my canvas to get rid of mold/mildew from the previous owner, I'll need to do this soon. Was planning on trying it out later this week.

Dude

[URL=http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/semperfi2tl
Oct 15, 2014
Burleson, Texas
That sounds like a goo sealant mixture Inthe dirt, please share how it turns out. I need my canvas done soon.