Searching for loud USB fan

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by MaeKay, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Now that we have a travel trailer we don't have those handy 12V plugs to plug in bunk end fans. Those things were decent, low amp fans but even better white noise while boondocking. Got any recommendation for a USB powered fan that is fairly loud? Doesn't have to be as loud as a C-5 jet but loudish would be nice and while we're at it fan capabilities would also be nice. At home we sleep with the Dohm white noise machines. I've tried searching on Amazon and here and can't find comments on how loud a fan is... Thanks!

PS: A fan is preferable because the electronic noise generators usually have a repetitive loop I can hear that distracts me from falling asleep. Yeah, I'm that picky.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I understand that. I had a waterfall recording that repeated every 37 seconds. It Drove me insane like a dripping faucet.
    Good luck in you search.

MaeKay likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You could modify the ceiling light that is the closest to the bed.. just look at the mods here on the portal where members added the 1/4 mono jack to a light so they could plug in a bunk light/fan..

MaeKay likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

And we boondock for the peace and quiet. The sound of a whippoorwill is soothing at nite

WVhillbilly likes this.
  5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

6. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I know. I do like the peace and quiet during the day but I have severe sleep issues so I need the hum of a fan. I do love listening to true silence with no electrical hum, though. I actually relax when the power goes out at home.

7. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have this fan for tent camping:

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Inclu...435745&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+desktop+fan+opolar

On high it has some noise. The problem you run into is USB is 5v, which isn't really strong enough to generate a loud fan noise. 9V or more will get it done.

O2Cool makes some decent 12V fans - I have a couple of the 10" ones from WalMart which are about $15 each. It would not be too difficult to add a 12V power socket, and these ones are pretty thrifty on amp draw. You will have to buy a power cord but they are pretty cheap on Amazon.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member