securing refrigerator door

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by mickeytopher, Jun 15, 2015.

1. mickeytopher

mickeytopher Member

I was thinking of one of these days, taking out the ice box, and installing a little dorm refrigerator. Is there a way to secure the door for traveling?

2. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I don't think that you'll find much that's not a DIY for a small dorm refrigerator. Keeping them closed like required for travel is not really a concern for the manufacturer. I put in a couple small eye bolts, one on each side of the door opening, and I string a small bungee between them, and that has successfully held the door closed during travel. I did not want to drill into the refrigerator to mount any type of latch/bracket.

BillyMc likes this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Velcro strap?

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Depending on your layout, one of the child-proofing contraptions might work. I looked at them because the microwave in our TT tends to open, but couldn't use one of the child-proofing straps due to the way it is installed.

theseus and gladecreekwy like this.
  5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I have to agree that the Velcro strap seems to be the most cost-effective way to go. OTHO, I used one of these to secure our dorm frig that we keep outside our PUP on long trips. It won't keep out the bears but just about everything else. [;)]

6. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

You can also find small refrigerators that have a lock built in.

7. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I know it was already said but I think a Velcro strap would be the most convenient item to use without drilling additional holes.

8. oblongataman

oblongataman New Member

I have had to engineer something even for my built in Dometic fridge in the Aliner Classic. Even with the built in factory latch, I kept finding my food thrown about the camper. A few times of this got me putting a cardboard wedge in the tab lock to give it a little more clamping force but this would even fail if the door had a lot of weight on it or the barley wine cans would slide against it. You can imagine some farm fresh eggs or tasty yogurt that don't like this behavior.

To address this, I tried to keep it simple. I went to the local farm supply store and picked up two items: A pack of clevis pins and a flanged bushing the same size.
    AlinerFridgePinParts.jpg

I held the clevis pin right at the edge of the fridge door when it was closed and saw where it hit the floor and drilled a hole to tightly fit the flange in, tapping it tight with a hammer. Because the clevis is a perfect fit, gravity does the rest and keeps my fridge door closed in transit.

AlinerFridgePinEngaged.jpg

If you don't have the lip my fridge does, just put a piece of wire or cotter pin in at the desired height.

When you get to your destination, I remove the pin, open the fridge, and reinsert the pin into the floor flange to make sure I don't lose it.

AlinerFridgePinStorage.jpg

If you are in a hurry, you don't even need the flange bushing, just drill a hole and insert the clevis - just know it will wear over time. Just remember - if it doesn't work out, a dab of silicone sealant closes the tiny hole.

Simple and has since prevented many frustrated stops with warm food for just five minutes of install time. I hope this helps someone.

NMroamer likes this.
  9. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The clip that hold the door shut (and also allows a slightly open locked position when camper is not in use) on my Dometic frig broke. Good to see these suggestions as I balked at paying $35 for the flimsy OEM locking clip. I'll try velcro first.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I also find tension bars inside the fridge help. So cans ans stuff dont hit the door from the inside. Think small curtan rod tension rods. More helpful now that I have a larger fridge in the TT.

Greg H and Jimbow like this.
  11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The OP was more worried about securing the door itself than the items inside.
    The tension rods have been handy is some places, but we don't use them much in the fridge, unless it's a short trip and it's mostly empty. We used them more in the beginning with the fridge, but we've developed routines with containers to hold things, using the crisper drawers to hold some smaller and/or round items. We can carry more food, and it stays in place better just using the tension rods.
    I have a stack of 4-6 of the little tension rods under one dinette, in case we need them. We changed out shelves in one cupboard where we used them, so they're not needed there now, hence some of the extras. They are necessary to hold things in place on the open shelf between upper and lower closets next to the bed, though.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

And its that open space where the food or cans roll around and keep hitting the door. That causes the door to open also, or in my case broke the locking latch 9n my fridge door. . So, it does help.

Jimbow likes this.
  13. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I also noticed when I aired up the tires more things bounced around more and the fridge door would pop open. Letting a little air out and those tension rods solved the problem.