Seemingly empty campgrounds

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Kimba, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

In January of this year we had a weak of warmer weather (60's) so the DW and I headed to our favorite lakeside spot at the SP. Other than the Hosts on the far end, we were the only one's in the CG during the week days. It was great. Peace and quiet. It felt like we owned the place. The weekends are always crowded and it is hard to enjoy.

2. james13619

james13619 NewB Coleman Mesa

I can only speak about what I have seen personally.... I camp in central Arizona; Mather at the South Rim; Cave Springs between Flagstaff and Sedona, and Clear Creek near Camp Verde ..
    And I can say we NEVER see the campgrounds full. On line reservations and the check in at the campground office say it full but what the heck? Except for Mather, we've camped at each of these four campgrounds three times. We camped at Mather Aug 8-11 for four days and it was easily 75% empty even though all the signs said it was full. Same thing with the others each time we feel lucky to grab a site online and when we get there "Campground Full' signs are out but the campground is 75% empty .. what the heck?

3. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Maybe your schools up there are back in session? Or maybe everybody has gone to other states to camp? Count your blessings!

Campit

4. ghri49

ghri49 Member

That sounds wonderful, CG with hookups that are almost empty, that would be great.

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I think it all depends on the area. Most MA state parks are booked up on weekends, but I do know of a few that you could go to on even Labor or Memorial Day, and probably walk in and get a site.

Part of it may be the economy right now, with people cutting down on leisure activities.. But the other part IMO is the location and perhaps convenience of getting there. My [2C]

6. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

State parks are jewels.. Almost nobody uses them except during holidays, at least here in KY.

Keep it secret

7. kpic

kpic New Member

We've scouted a lot of local CGs. Due to the rain, most of the camps look to be a permanent site because they have a platform under the awning etc.

IMO, a lot of people camp to enjoy the outdoors, not the sound of rain of the tent or roof.

8. Tribble

Tribble New Member

Try Ryerson Station SP here in SWPA. Just spent a weekend as 1 of 2 occupied sites out of ~50