Selfish or Realist?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by slowfatknitter, Dec 19, 2010.

1. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

"Mrs. Slow" - your posts have reduced me to tears - this is exactly what I wish for my DH and I. Not the illness of course, but that when we are older, and maybe things aren't perfect, we will still be out in our little pup, sitting by the fire watching the stars, together. I hope you have many more trips together - and I will keep the both of you in my prayers.

I don't see any reason for you to change anything - unless it comes to a point where he cannot camp in the pup. Then you could evaluate if camping is important enough to buy the 5th wheel, or just stop. I hope that day is a long way off for you both....

2. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

Update....Here I sit in the ICU. Mr Slow is on a bipap machine. Last Wednesday, he fell in the house after I left for work. He hit his head on a 5 gall glass water jug and shattered it. We're not sure how long he laid on the floor, but the angels were with him. What should have a horrific accident with multiple cuts, was only a big bump on the head and a broken little toe. Saturday morning, he had trouble breathing, again on Sunday and Monday morning. We both decided that it was safe for me to go to work. They had released him from the hospital Saturday night. I got a phone call from a police friend of ours, saying that he responded to a call at our house, he recognized the address. Mr Slow was transported via ambulance to the hospital where I work. He's stable and not in immediate danger, but some hard decisions will have to be made this week. I don't think it will involve the pup. She will go back in the garage to wait for me. But it is obvious that Mr Slow can't be left alone while I'm at work. The kids are gathering and we'll have a family meeting to decide what comes next.

The pup will be fine and I will live through the portal for now. I'll be fine too! Lots of good memories to reflect upon later. Right now it's all about Mr. Slow.....Thank you all for all of your kind words and prayers. I'll check in from time to time.....and stalk you all here on the portal. God bless

3. rebecca

rebecca New Member

Mrs. Slow, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you go through this awful and heartbreaking situation. I hope that everything works out for the best for you and Mr. Slow. Please keep us updated and let us know if we can do anything at all. Even if it is for you to vent, cry or just need some encouraging words.

4. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

Oh Mrs. Slow, I'm so sorry. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated as you can....

5. Sugar

Sugar New Member

oh man, I'm so sorry Mrs. Slow...may god be with Mr. slow and your family.

You both share such a great bond, I can only hope I find that one day!

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Dear lady, you're an inspiration to the rest of us. Despite the difficulties and problems you face, you display the most beautiful attitude. Wow!

May God grant you wisdom and grace as he continues to strengthen you.

7. LauraLieTx

LauraLieTx Member

Texas prayers are with you ,Mr Slow, and your family God Bless!! [CP]

8. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

Took Mr. Slow home......Hospital bed, O2, Home Health the works. He's doing much better today. Only slept 19 hours...LOL

Pup will be put to bed this weekend. Our daughter is home from St. Louis and can help. A good cleaning, a little love and we'll see what happens next. Afraid it will be a long road. Mr. Slow says it's like drowning on dry land. Just can't get any air....

Thank you for your kind thoughts, prayers and encouragement. I have no words to express my gratitude.

I'm getting tons of knitting done....my therapy....and will continue to "stalk" you all.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Glad Mr. Slow is back home. Sounds like there's a rough road ahead but we'll keep praying for you both.

Keep us posted!

10. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

Update on Mr Slow....It's been a tough start to the year with three trips by ambulance to the hospital and two admissions. We're on cpap now at night and that has helped. Only two falls and thank God...no injuries. The PUP is for sale....still sad to see her sit patiently on the driveway , waiting for a forever home. We did buy a hybrid camper...a compromise...the best of both worlds! "CAUSE YOU'RE NOT CAMPING IF YOU CANT SMELL THE CAVASS!" If I put the truck in four low and creep..I can wiggle it into place. It isn't pretty, but I can get it done. Set up is much faster. Mr Slow can help. Lots of buttons for him to push. Still have all of his equipment to haul and I know where every hospital is in Kansas and Missouri....Lol. We dint go very far, very fast. But we're going. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.....he continues to decline, but hasn't given up.

11. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Continued good thoughts and prayers. I am glad to hear that you are able to continue camping. You are an inspiration.

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Bless your Heart. So happy you two are still Camping and that Mr. Slow can help [8D]

13. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Mrs. "Slow", Best wishes for you and Mr. "Slow." I'm glad that a few scarce $$ didn't come between the two of you, so that both of your needs could be met. There's no smell like canvas in the morning after camping out. A 5'er just doesn't do it for that. It can smell too much like a hotel room.
    I'm sure it warms Mr. "Slow," that he can still help a little in the set-up of your HTT, even with you doing the lions share of the set up. Just helping is good mental therapy for him.
    My thoughts, and prayers reach out you both.
    Shame I can't quite yet crack into the piggy bank (working hard at it though) to free up some of your garage space, but you'll know the right next family/couple for PUP when you meet them. I hope you find her a good home.

14. radscj7

radscj7 New Member

Our best wishes and prayers for you both. You guys are a true inspiration.

15. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I look at those big TT's and 5ers and just can't see how I could manage with one for a weekend. They are just too big. If it were me, I would keep the PUP if I could use I down the road, then figur out how to make my sig. Other happy when they wanted to go away. That would probably involve renting a trailer or cabin if that is what they like to do. And if it was my wife setting things up, I don't see how she could handle a 5er, I would not expect that of her.

16. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

I'm so happy to see an update - sorry it took me this long to see it. I hope that you two are still out there camping! I'm sure selling the pup was sad, but at least you have the canvas in the hybrid! Take care of each other, and please update when you can. I will still be thinking of you both and praying for Mr. Slow to be healthy!