September 2017 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Even here in the high desert SW, it's beginning to look and feel like fall - how can that be?

The Retro is nice and shiny after the detailer was here yesterday. It's hooked up and ready for the not-very-arduous trip (2 miles) to the dealer for bearings and the yearly warranty inspection and some pm.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Draining and blowing water system out this weekend, new anode rod and water filter will be ready to install next spring. Do some clutter clearing and remove stuff out for cleaning and store it it until next year. Wash entire camper inside and out, test fit my new shower head mount that I made made last week.
    I am sure this will take me most of Saturday to complete but I did stock up on malt beverages to help with the mental pain I may have due to closing up the camper for hibernation. It's sad it is already that time of the year, but on the bright side that means Collage football is here.

3. creynoldsmiz

creynoldsmiz Member

You're crazy! September and October is the best time for camping!

bob barnes and JPBar like this.
  4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I would agree, but when you have kids in school and weekend school activities that puts a damper on camping.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    jackquontee likes this.
  5. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

It has only been a little over 24 hours since we got our ALiner, so there hasn't been much time to do anything just yet! Plans for this weekend (before we take it out for the first trip) are: installing surge suppressor (inside), installing on-demand water heater (next to Cool Cat, if it fits), measuring cabinets for storage options, and loading all our basic things that we'll need for the rest of the camping season. Gotta test out the mattress topper and pick up some bedding.

JPBar likes this.
  6. kitphantom

Little Red is home from the day at the dealer. As part of our warranty (it's standard at this dealer), we have to take it in once a year for inspection and some pm. Not a bad thing, since they do things such as test the LP lines, furnace, hot water tanks, and check the roof. (We do other work as needed.) Also had them do the bearings, since we don't have a safe place to do that.
    I asked about replacing the skid "V", since that broke on our last trip. At the suggestion of one of the service guys, we had them install 5" skid caster wheels. We put them to the test when we parked it at home (we almost never skid them anywhere else), and they seem to work great . If nothing else, they don't make noises like fingernails on a blackboard on the concrete.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I got rid of a hornets nest on the MH (which we do not use), got a wasp nest out of the Reefer area on the TT. Went camping for four nights, cleaned the TT, washed dried folded and put sheets,clothes,etc. Re-stocked the pantry in the TT. Cleaned and flushed the black and gray water tanks, Opened awning and cleaned the mold off (due to wet weather). Cleaned floor, washed and dried throw rugs, Ordered and received 2 new camco levelers, cleaned the reefer and stove, wiped cabinets and any wood down with Orange Glow, Ready for next trip

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I replaced a section of 10ga wire with 8ga. It was about a 2ft section. When I was updating some wiring, I didn't have 10ga. All set now
    Fixed the dining table post mount. It was secured from the factory with 1/2" screws which got torn out of the floor by someone (kids) trying to take the post out. Now it's through bolted with T-nuts on the underside of the slide out. Can't get to the other post bolts.
    Built a custom changeover switch for my LPG regulator. The one built for it was very flakey.

Just getting a few things ironed out before the VT rally.

9. kitphantom

Took two of the LP tanks to be filled, one from the TT and the one we rotated off for the Little Red Campfire. Found that the hoses were beginning to deteriorate (NM sun for 3 years), so we upgraded to steel jacketed ones.
    Ordered another EZGO tank stabilizer, since we usually seem to take two tanks to be filled. Also ordered caps for the tanks that rotate off of the TT, to keep the threads cleaned and such.
    Picked up the two 2-1/2 gallon water jugs we ordered from Walmart, and ordered a 4 gallon one from Amazon. The newest one in our collection of water jugs broke after the last trip, and it was several years old, so replacing them all seemed a good idea. Even with an on-board water tank, we take at least one water jug. 2-1/2 gallons is a good size when I have to refill while dry camping. We want a couple of extras for places without water in the campground - and for my MIL's next month, where the water is not good. (We'll buy drinking water too for that trip, usually we use our PUR dispenser for drinking water.)

10. prop630

prop630 Member

Trimmed the memory foam mattress topper to size and put it in and got a nice folding organizer to hang by the door at the bunk end. DW picked them up on sale which is always a good thing. We'll test them out next week on our next trip.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

*fingers crossed* I think I may have FINALLY figured out the issue with the brakes on my pup. Ever since I installed them last year they been giving me trouble with dragging and overheating. Before the last trip I finally just backed them off completely and unhooked the controller. Every time I would try them again they would get so hot within 10 miles that you couldn't even touch the hubs.

After scratching my head for hours tonight, playing with the brakes with the hub off, I had an epiphany. I think the issue may have been that the shoes being so loose, it was letting the magnet get pulled too far, leading to them binding and dragging after releasing the brakes.

I adjust the shoes tighter than I ever had previously and went for a test drive. After some adjusting of the controller, I think they are finally working. They got a little warm in the middle of the drive, but that was right after a fairly hard stop where they were actually trying to lock up. I backed the controller down and drove another 10 miles or so and they had cooled off some by the end of the drive. I'll take it for another spin in a day or two to see if it is all dialed in correctly now.

12. kitphantom

This week, for the TT, I've mostly been gathering cleaned, replacement, and new items, so I'm ready for doing a bunch at once, tomorrow. A lot of the week, I've been working to cut the fabrics and organize pieces for the next portable quilt project. I want it packed and ready for the next trip, and I need to get in into a more compact travel configuration - not exactly for the camper, but it will be living in it during trips for the next year or two.
    Here is the photo of our new skid-wheels. I still hope I don't have to back it into the driveway solo, but rolling skids are better than scraping, deforming V-skids.

Attached Files:

13. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Sitting in the driveway loaded with water, clean sheets and fridge has been running for two weeks. Been waiting for the smoke to clear so I can hitch it up, head up through Yellowstone and go camping somewhere in the Cody area or Red Lodge area. Started to clear up today (actually saw the mountains for the first time in days). Suppose to clear up totally this weekend so most likely FINALLY headed out on Tuesday AM.
    Moab in Oct, and possibly (weather permitting) Stanley middle of Oct and then who knows......

14. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Finally finished painting the frame, looks great so far! Now that our 110° weather might be breaking it should be easier to get out in the garage to start the sub floor.

Got my brother and sister in law into pop ups after our last camping trip together, so they bought one =) they are taking it out later this month for their first trip (and our hopefully last tent camping trip.)

JPBar likes this.
  15. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I finished the last of my small mods and packing before my first and probably last trip with the pup of the year. I added the floor mats under the back bunk. I have a memory foam topper on the front, so it will be interesting to see how they compare. I also finished my tap for the fillet table outside galley. I’ll attach it to the leg to hopefully take care of any stress if the hose gets snagged, and it gives me a convenient place to fill large pots or any suit any other needs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I fit the last of the stuff I had been stashing till I could get it into the pup, packed for the trip next week, closed up, and gave it a quick rinse since it had gotten rather dirty in storage over the past year.

Termn8r2003 likes this.
  16. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

My wife purchased me a power tongue jack for my birthday. I got it installed yesterday and am not sad I have it.

bob barnes, Strawhouse and kitphantom like this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Filled one of my 30# LP tanks.

18. kitphantom

There are times I really wish I had a power tongue jack. Maybe one of these days...

I got a lot of little putter-y stuff done in the TT. Mounted 2 puck lights and remote (will use it like a wall switch) in the bathroom, after the solar nightlight we've used for several years died. (The remote remembers the color and intensity we set so we're not blinded in the dark.)
    New indoor/outdoor thermometer (turns out DH needs to make a stand for the remote monitor), Tank-away caps received so put the cover on the current campfire LP tank; need to find a safe place to keep the regulator plugs until needed. DH took out the junk drawer and reached into the recesses of the drawer stack - found the missing kitchen scraper, measuring tape, and some odds and ends. The drawers are shallow and things escape, especially on bumpy roads.

19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Made a tarp awning and got to try it for the first time last weekend. Works beautifully. Just not sure how easy it would be for one person to put on. Put reflectix up on one bunkend and need to buy another roll for the other. Because my mom had eye surgery my valance is on hold until winter break. However she is chopping at the bit to finish the project, and I keep on telling her, her health is more important than camper decor.

20. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I installed a pair of new bubble levelers on the front and threw my new box of Lynx levelers in the storage compartment.... thanks to whomever found that Amazon deal and posted it a couple weeks ago! I fixed the bolt and nut that holds the pole for the pop-out canvas over the dinnette. Got my new 9x9 canopy set up and rigged up a couple tarps for sidewalls in heavy rain. Works awesome and was way cheaper than putting a new awning on.

[​IMG]

Still need to put in a new battery disconnect switch, though. That LP leak detector is killer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.