September 2019 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Aug 29, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'm starting this thread a couple of days early, sorry.
    We plan to be camped near the headwaters of the Rio Grande, at 9300' in CO, for Labor Day week, with no WiFi (except when we go to town, 45 minutes away) or much cell service. I think I had enough cell for texting two years ago - there's a huge rock at the campground entrance that must have good enough reception to talk,given the number of people I've seen standing on it with a phone to their ear. It's nice to have texting ability, it allows the house/pet sitter to check in with us, though we trust her to arrange for needed repairs or vet visits if those come up.
    This will be the first long trip we've had together this year, so we'll actually be setting up an outdoor kitchen and shade/rain structures. (Both uses likely to be needed - one often turns into a drying shed if Courtenay gets soaked on his backpack or hike.)

2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Too busy camping to modify ...lol

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I goofed and left a small amount of water in the fresh water tank. Now I have to clean and sanitize the system. Sealed my exhaust fan, and started changing things up for the up coming race season.

4. kitphantom

We had a great 9-night trip to a USFS campground near the headwaters of the Rio Grande, with only a bit of damage. On our way there, at one stop, we discovered that the refrigerator was leaning out of its enclosure, about 4" at the top. More than likely related to the piece of wood that broke and fell off due to using a tension shower curtain rod. We bought new duct tape and that seemed to secure it for the rest of the trip, including some miles of unpaved roads. The fridge worked fine.
    Pulling into our site, which we had two years ago, we had a slight encounter with a large rock. Courtenay was watching a branch on the left so it didn't impale us, (It was an issue 2 years ago, so I'm surprised it hasn't been trimmed in the meantime, they take great care of this CG.) The rock was sort of out of peripheral vision, and we'd used the site before, so didn't think of having me spot - oops. Looks like we have not been the only ones to hit it either. It ruined the set of steps we installed last year, and broke the part on the trailer that the awning attaches to at the bottom., plus the screws pulling out did damage to the aluminum, as did scraping the rock in a couple of places.
    We got home and unloaded today, and ordered a new set of steps. At least we had the platform step we used with the pup and before we had 2 steps on the TT with us, so it was only a slight challenge for me to step in and out safely.
    The TT goes in soon for its yearly warranty inspection, so I'll call and see if they want it sooner so they have time to repair the fridge mounting and do something with the awning issue.
    It was warmer for the first part of the stay than we expected, but I found that we had plenty of solar charging to run the Endless Breeze fan for much of the day.

Be-Ce likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Lex and I went camping and "sight-seeing"...
    IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1244.JPG

Arlyn Aronson, hq308 and kitphantom like this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

just added some new shelves and a wall switch to power the roof ac.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Repaired the sink drain flex hose (again). It split for the second time near the exterior outlet when I lift the hose to drain the water out of the low spot. The next repair will call for a new hose as I'm running out of length.

Let me know if any knows of a better quality flex hose. The 1 1/4" replacement flex hose is hard to find.

8. kitphantom

We re-learned the lesson to check the type of connections made if we need to have work done that includes the electric brakes. Courtenay had to extend the wires after we had the new axle installed a couple of years ago, when they both snapped on a rough road. Last year, we had a bearing fail, and never thought to check the brake wiring. Yesterday, after driving out of camp over a rough, unpaved, road, we realized the brake controller showed no connection. When the shop had fixed the wheel, they had used a connector, rather than wiring things together. (Looked more like crimp lock than scotch lock from the pics I've seen). We had planned to stop and dump the tanks when we reached the neared town, and by the time I got partway through dumping, Courtenay had it all repaired. I am slow at getting things connected, and the layout was such that it was a slow and not-so-great dump, but still, I was impressed he got it done so quickly.
    On our way into camp, we forgot to close the roof vents, the MaxxAir covers usually protect us from rain, etc. on the road. The one over the bed didn't seem to have let in much dust from the dirt road, but the bathroom one, nearer the edge of the roof, sure did.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  9. neighbormike

Had to re-tighten my shower drain fitting AGAIN... it's just a hand tightened, left hand threaded fitting... anyone know a way to keep these from loosening??

10. kitphantom

@neighbormike I'm to the point that I think some fittings just need to be checked regularly, all those road vibrations loosen some up. Our biggie is the sink area - realized it was leaking on the trip last week and this time it's the plumber's putty around the drain that needs to be replaced. In the past, the p-trap connections have loosened. We haven't wanted to cement things, fearing that it might move damage to areas we can't see as well.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I replaced the ac start capacitor. Sure needed it this past weekend.

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

took my 80 year old Mother camping in it, she kept on asking me how long I owned it.. over and over :confused::(

13. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

Lock tight? Nylon nut?

14. neighbormike

Thanks... I figured out it helps to tighten it the right way lol. Pulled the whole thing apart and sealed it the way it should have been to start with and (correctly) reassembled it.

15. Gafrus

Gafrus New Member

I just got mine recently and will be using it for the first time this weekend. This month, to get it ready, I've done quite a bit. I fixed the furnace so that works now. It will only get down to about 45 at night this weekend but at least it's ready. I replaced the bulbs in the overhead lights with LEDs. I bought some battery boxes so I can take the trolling motor batteries out of my boat and use them for the camper since I will never use it where there is power. Flushed the water tank. Got sheets and blankets to use for the bunks. Bought an absurd amount of kitchen stuff and other assorted things at the dollar store. I think I'm ready!

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  16. fredhead

fredhead New Member

I've had this pup for about a month and a half now, been doing all kinds of things with it, including Camp Driveway. My two latest projects: 1. The front ABS body panel was cracked. Removed it, fiberglassed the cracks on the inside, reinstalled and painted. In the process I found that the propane hose was deteriorated, so I ordered a new one. 2. The front bunkend pole was broken and badly repaired. The PO had installed a piece of aluminum and run screws through to secure it, with the screw ends sticking out, covered with electrical tape (which had come off) and was scratching the canvas. I almost ordered the repair kit from coleman popup parts, but I figured I could fix it cheaper than $30. So I got an 8" long 1"ID galvanized pipe and some pop rivets. Drilled the necessary holes with the drill press and installed. Cost me about 5 bucks and will probably outlast the camper.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. kitphantom

I'm gradually checking things off the shopping and replacement lists, etc. We'd made good mental notes about some of the kitchen furnishings, since it seemed like we had a few things that we really didn't need, and took some of those out today. There is now space in the panty, so I'll need to figure out what to move there, so things stay in place on the road.
    The new steps have arrived, but I don't know if Courtenay will have time to install them this weekend. If not, he'll have to do it after it cones back from the shop, since it goes in next week.The service writer says we'll have it back in no more than a week, if they have to order parts, they will make sure the fridge and/or awning are secure for the trip to Grand Canyon.
    I'm still waffling over the awning - while I used it quite a bit on 2 trips this summer, for the most part, it's been more trouble than it has useful. Since we can't open it at the moment, given all the rain we had on the trip (it seeps in from the ends even if it's not open), I'm sure the mildew is perking away in the rolls of the awning.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

I installed extra LED tail-lights and added hazard tape on the rear edge of the Aliner rear roof frame.

Sjm9911 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  19. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I'd suggest to anyone who's adding extra reflective decals to there trailers, us the DOT stuff that truckers use. That stuff rocks at night! Its omni visible and so bright, its like its powered. Love that stuff and buy it by the roll.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. kitphantom

The sink drain is puttied, and I reorganized the utensil drawers. Courtenay removed the damaged steps and got the connecting part straightened, after the encounter with a large rock. The new steps did not fit, although they were supposed to replace any 24" RV step. So, they will be returned, and we're off to Camping World tomorrow, to see if they have ones that fit. If not, we order another set, if we can find one or we have the dealer replace them this week.