September 2019 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Aug 29, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our morning trip to CW was successful - new steps, new cover for winter, replenished waste tank treatments, valve lube and toilet seal conditioner, etc. The new steps are installed, and Courtenay will drop the other set off at UPS tomorrow.
    Rotated the extra LP tank onto the trailer and after lighting the stove in case air got in, I flipped the auto changeover so the tank that has just been sitting there for a while finally gets used. Took the "empty" one to be filled, which only took 3 gallons. Less than we figured, since we'd camped 9 nights, used the furnace for a while almost every night, used the hot water tank and cooked inside, plus ran the fridge, which seems to use very little.
    I put the valve lube in both gray and black tanks, plus the seal conditioner in the toilet, so they can sit and work while it's idle. I'll finish cleaning it when it gets back from inspection and repair at the dealer.

2. kitphantom

I dropped the Retro off at the dealer this morning, it's scheduled to be returned next Wednesday. The repairs may not be done, since parts have to be ordered, but as long as the fridge and awning (if not removed) are secure for the next trip, we're good.
    Good news is that they can order a new piece of the aluminum siding for the holes cause by the rock encounter. The damage is confined to the area below a seam, so it's only one section, from the wheel well to the back. That should look a lot better than filling the holes with Bondo or something.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Installed these puppies...
    20190908_131708.jpg 20190908_144858.jpg

4. Econ

Econ Active Member

Chest of Drawers for the Expedition

Attached Files:

• 103.JPG
      103.JPG
      File size:
      140.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Oh, fancy! Lol. Nice job on that.

6. kitphantom

The service writer for the Retro called this morning, so I approved the estimates for repair. They were able to replace the bracket that holds the awning upright in place, so it's usable and secure. They will order the replacement siding and we'll have it installed after the Oct. trip.
    As we suspected, repairing the refrigerator mounting requires removing it. Most of that repair cost is going to be labor, but it isn't anything we want to do ourselves, even if we had sufficient spare time before the next trip.
    Estimate on each of those is in the $300+ range, so my mind calls it $400 each, by the time taxes, etc. get added. At least it's less than when I totaled the first awning, that was close to $1000, and was only one item to be repaired.
    The gal assured me we will have it back by next week. One of the first things I'll need to do is get that awning open, cleaned, and dried; I'm sure the mildew is back by now.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Just finished making my titling spare tire holder a non tilting spare tire holder. What a pita, everything was bent out of whack from it moving. Next job was to rig up the new chepo back up camera. Went as well as expected. I had the wires in place from the old one. The new one however had morw excess wire for a button that syncs the camra to the screen. So , it looks like crap now. I tied up the wires with zip ties and moved on. My butane soldering iron was out of butane, i couldent find my srink wrap for the wires. So a 30 minute job too 2 hours. I packed acking the fridge, and pantry. I havent thought of shifting weight, so im sure i will have surpises. Put water in the ice cube trays in the freezer. Hope it freezes in a day!
    Now that someone mentioned valve lube, and other stuff, ill have to get on that.

neighbormike and kitphantom like this.
  8. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I applied UHMW tape to the inside of the front extrusions of my Aliner to reduce friction between the front and rear panels when opening/closing the roof.
    I also used Novus 1 & 2 to clean my bubble windows. The last time I cleaned them was in early May.
    Unfortunately, I was parked under a tree on my latest trip, and my rear window was covered in sticky spots.
    Work in progress...using Novus 2. Once the window was clean, I finished with Novus 1 as recommended by the manufacturer.
    Rear window from the outside:
    [​IMG]

...and from the inside:
    [​IMG]

Econ and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

What a difference!

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I work in a hardware store and always sell plumbers putty for using sink drain baskets. But ...... I have never had luck using in in campers sinks. I think they move around too much. Being an old car and truck mechanic I have used #M strip caulking (monkey s**t) for sealing many things and it has been the only thing that really works on camper sink drains going down the highway for me.
    Also protect the trap from being hit by any thing moving around in the cabinet.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

In the pass months I have removed our dinette table and was using 2 TV trays. I have now added a shelf on each side of the camper and in the hallway on the other side of the galley. Now we can just sit and eat with a lot of room. We usually don't need a table in the middle, but always have 2 on hand. There is just the 2 of us and Quincy eats on the floor.
    IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.jpg IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

The thing my dear wife loves in the new AC wall switch. I turn the AC on and set it to "usually" high cool. Then I turn the power to the ac off at the wall switch. When she wants the AC on all she has to do is flip the wall switch.

IMG_0763.JPG The left switch is water pump, water heater gas, water heater electric, with the tank mounters, the middle is the digital thermostat, right is AC poor on and off.

Over the winter I plan to add a remote of the bath fan, larger medicine chest, shelves behind toilet on wall. Maybe shelves in the shower. Told the kids I wanted a 100 watt solar panel for Christmas.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  12. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Really, Ray? You mean to say that you didn’t build a low fold-up table for Quincy? I, for one, am shocked!;)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I still have left over wood. Maybe with 2 cut outs for the bowls to sit in.

brwarrior likes this.
  14. kitphantom

We made reservations for it for next year, at Colter Bay, Grand Teton NP. We cancelled our eclipse trip to that area 2 years ago, and keep saying we really need to go back, since it's been around 20 years, since tenting days. We know the reserveable campgrounds can fill well ahead of time, and FCFS isn't much fun for our nerves anymore. We have a good idea of the rest of the trip (mostly what we'd planned for '17) so we'll reserve as the windows open. This will be the same number of nights as our next trip, so we're going to take good notes about need for laundry, restocking, etc; the longest we've been gamped together in the TT has been 9 nights.
    The TT is still at the shop, so I've been a bit frustrated since I can't run out and grab something, or check to see how many of something we have, since we're beginning to pack for the next trip.

15. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

went camping with my fiancé for our 1 year anniversary, we had a blast, star gazing, good food, a few drinks, but not too much, but, there is always a but, when driving back my roof top vent cover went flying off, well partly at least, only one screw left when I stopped, now I've always wondered how important those vent cover are? should I invest in one ore is my vent firmly closed enough?

16. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

bought it a Classic Accessories cover to keep dirt and sun of it when not in use. Thee 10-12' size fits my Aliner Scout easily, room to spare.

17. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Winterized the pup,cleaned it, thru in some Fresh Cab packets, buttoned it up, & put the winter cover on it. The wife's been ill, & looks like by the time she gets better, it'll be too late for us to camp. Kinda sucks, we only got to take it out once this summer. If we do get lucky enough to go out again before snow, I'll leave the water system winterized, we can just use water jugs.

18. Daddy Rabbit

Daddy Rabbit Member

Got it out and washed it, put it back in the barn and set it up. Did some minor repairs to the slide outs. I still need to get the furnace going before deer season.

19. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I've owned my pup for exactly one year now. It was like new when I bought it, but it seems that I am always doing something to make it better. In the past I have added Electric brakes, a break-away switch, a Solar panel and connections, removed the wobble water pump and install an on-demand electric pump, relocated the battery box to move it back on the tongue a bit, and installed a couple 12volt DC plugs. Over the weekend I built a water transfer pump kit to move water from a container to the onboard tank effortlessly. It has a small battery and is totally portable if I wanted to take it down to the creek to get water. The whole setup fits in an ammo can. I carry a 5-gallon water container that I use just for drinking water. I fill that before I leave home. I don't drink the water from my onboard tank. The last time I did that I got the worst case of the "Skittles" you can imagine, and learned why I should leave the porti-pottie inside at night. I also learned why I should carry a small bottle of laundry detergent in the camper. Two weekends before that I installed three exhaust fans in the rear compartment of my Fridge to help it deal with the 100 degree heat of summer. I also bought a cargo rack for the back trailer hitch so I can put my ice chests back there. My son gave me a Dura-Max 4850 Watt generator so I could run the A/C when boon-docking. And it really got a workout on the last trip 4 weeks ago. I was the only one in the whole campground so the noise did not bother anyone. I'm running out of things to do! Oh, I almost forgot. I also replaced the overhead lights with LED lights.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. fredhead

fredhead Member

Bought the PuP back in August, since then I've been learning, cleaning, fixing, gathering stuff and I'm now on the final approach to our inaugural camping trip. Ever since our marriage in 1990, Columbus Day weekend has been "our" camping weekend (except for that one time when I was deployed to the Med on IKE). Going to a familiar place, First Landing Beach Campground in Virginia Beach. Only thing left to do is plan the menu and buy the groceries. First non-tent camping trip.

kitphantom, Grandpa Don and Sjm9911 like this.