September 2022 - what did you do for your camper?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Labor Day weekend here in the US, the unofficial end to summer, although in many places, the weather is still nice, if not hot. High temp warning in places right now, so still summery. Long weekend does mean many are heading out I've see campers on the road in the last couple of days.

Today's task is to take the TT to the dealer for bearings, and annual inspection for the "Warranty Forever", which has never paid for any issue yet. But, it does keep us on schedule to have things checked and some preventive maintenance done. Most things are in travel mosde just have to turn of the fan, unplug, and close the rock shield before hitching up

ccarley

Sep 23, 2014
Our weekend temps are supposed to be high 90s, low 100s. But I'm still planning on doing a bearing pack/brake inspection on our Starcraft this weekend, just to make sure we are ready to go. We don't have reservations until next summer at this point, but as we are preparing for fire season, it's good to be ready to move if need be.

Clay

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Trailer is delivered to the dealers. While showing the service writer the spot where we've had some aluminum tear-out, I noticed that the front diamond plate looked like it had bowed a bit, and part of the fastening lip had flipped out. He though they could fix that in a hour or so. Hoping it doesn't mean there is underlying water damage or something. We need to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday to prep for our trip at the end of next week.

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
Once I'm home from work I'll be throwing the flat and corner trim back on the roof so I can finish that job that I started last weekend. Then I'll hopefully rescreen the door and replace the galley drain and hose as it's leaking and I found a better option than the big Camco sink trap that screws onto the drain. Pictures to follow...Happy Friday everyone!!!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We picked up the trailer yesterday, even with the securing of the diamond plate they had it done in a day. Bearings done, for those comparing, at our dealer it's $175 per axle (we have 1) + about $60 in parts and supplies. We get a bit of a discount from that, because we bought the trailer there. Well worth it, since it's not safe to do it on our sloped driveway. Yearly inspection, testing of LP lines, etc. included, is done too.
We picked up another tube of marine caulk, so Courtenay can caulk the wheel well seams. We had a leak driving in rain on the last trip. Our model era has been known to have issues with that seam, because it has corners, they changed it to a rounded shape a year or two later to address the problem. Ours had seemed fine, so we'd never done the extra sealing. We had water inside, we think it was from the wheel well, hard to tell when it was distributed from the movement of the trailer on the road.
Fridge back on and back to temp, so we can put the staples back in it, which will relieve space issues in the inside one. We'll get most food added this weekend too, so we can pull out on Friday morning.

ccarley

Sep 23, 2014
Oh boy. I'm not sure what got into me, but we're starting the process to get new canvas from Bear Creek. And... should have new mattress for the front bed on Tuesday from the Foam Factory. Also we're discussing what sort of extra cool places we could go to next year as Joshua Tree was suggested by a co-worker for spring break. I'm getting tired of the drive just thinking about it... over 8 hours if we decided to do that trip! But we're going to be super ready to go places next year, that's for sure.
Clay

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Sink drain plumber's putty replaced. With all the road vibrations it just ends up leaking after a while. I think we've decided to just replace it preemptively at the beginning of each season.
Wheel wells are sealed with marine caulk, also used it to fill a couple of gaps at the corner, showing daylight under the one dinette seat.
Beginning to fill fridge, pack clothing, and such; food boxes are tomorrow's task. (Not going in the trailer, but Courtenay has his duffel packed for the Grand Canyon raft trip, comfortably under the 25# limit.)
We'll have the fresh tank topped off, and tote along 4 x 2-/12 gallon water jugs. Grand Canyon had just gone off water restrictions when they had another major waterline break yesterday. While there is water on in the campgrounds, taking 4 instead of 2 jugs just seems prudent. We have 3 nights in Flagstaff between Rims, so we can refill the tank and jugs.

Brian Clancy

Aug 23, 2021
I've been held back by a pinched nerve most of the summer, but managed a week of camping on the Cache La Poudre River in Colorado just now. All of the project wish list were accomplished including installing a new Shademaker Pro awning (based on recommendations right here in this forum), a matching screen room, wiring up LED indicator light panel for the hot water heater and water pump, and even added a Bluetooth ammeter ($17) to my Renogy Solar Suitcase that lets me track charge voltage, current Amps and even temperature of my removable deep-cycle batteries as they charge in the sun--on my smartphone from the comfort of the screen room!

Attachments

• awning and screen.jpg
    awning and screen.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 48
  • LEDpanel.jpg
    LEDpanel.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 47
  • dt26bluetoothammeter.jpg
    dt26bluetoothammeter.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Except for last minute items fridge and freezer food is all packed for 16 nights out. Meals for the days we need them, plus a couple, so we have a choice. Easy meals planned for my solo segment of the trip. Dry food boxes all sorted, we'll pack them into the trailer Thursday night so they aren't out in the heat until then. (90+ today, again.) Clothing totes are in. this is when it seems like we work and work, suddenly things are done - and we have space left over, which can be a little scary.
Found my 5th 2-1/2 gallon water jug, so we'll have a good supply of our own at both Rims of Grand Canyon. Water is on in the campgrounds (& hotels, etc.) but conservation is a given. Don't know if the showers will be on at both, so far, no word on that, so we'll pack the pump sprayer too.
Trailer is swept, clean mats are in place at door, etc.
Packing reading and sewing will be Wed., with some tossed in Friday morning. Letting my travel laptop update, in case we find a place with enough internet to actually use it.

Last edited:

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
I rebuilt a Fleetwood/Coleman Density series half door. They use a metal frame for the camper walls but for the door that you use all the time a cheap wood frame.
IMG_2403.jpeg A frame made from ¾ wood with thin masonite panels. Not the best materials for a door. The good part is that the metal moldings are screwed on, so easy to get apart. The lower molding was lost so I used a PVC U channel and ½ foam weatherstripping. Really didn't take long to do. Came out very nice.

Black taco

Apr 26, 2022
I've been held back by a pinched nerve most of the summer, but managed a week of camping on the Cache La Poudre River in Colorado just now. All of the project wish list were accomplished including installing a new Shademaker Pro awning (based on recommendations right here in this forum), a matching screen room, wiring up LED indicator light panel for the hot water heater and water pump, and even added a Bluetooth ammeter ($17) to my Renogy Solar Suitcase that lets me track charge voltage, current Amps and even temperature of my removable deep-cycle batteries as they charge in the sun--on my smartphone from the comfort of the screen room!
We are just north of you in Red Feather Lakes… Have fun and enjoy the cooler weather!

Jan 31, 2022
Arkansas
Well I recovered my cushions with flannel backed vinyl tablecloth. Very simply added cardboard backing and stapled it. One is already coming apart lol. So we shall see how long I keep it like that.
Applied a door decal to my door. Looks a little dumb lol, but I like it.
My big project was making shelves to go on top of the counters. After I got them in I realized my measurements didn’t take a couple things into account, so I’ll be adjusting them to fit better and also to stay put better.
I’m full of ideas for the inside but reading all this makes me think I need to attempt to learn more about the mechanics.
I have a 90s skamper and I’m terrified of our cable breaking.

Attachments

• 5745B504-C9BD-4741-87CC-0DA0951055C0.jpeg
    5745B504-C9BD-4741-87CC-0DA0951055C0.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 0A972506-B8D8-4B83-B55D-1A0C6858AD20.jpeg
    0A972506-B8D8-4B83-B55D-1A0C6858AD20.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 30

Jason212

Aug 2, 2020
Utah
Since I have not been able to use mu PUP all summer I had not done much, but decided I am going to try to head out the last week of September. I took the chance today to go through and make notes of anything I need to fix to be ready to go. Luckily it's looking pretty good, the upper lights were not working because a wire fell off the galley switch and I have a few exterior lights out.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
@Crystal Graves - when I made covers out of upholstery fabric, I just used huge pins on the back, sort of gift-wrapping the cushions. With our Cobalt, I had to work around the "buttons" on the base. The flannel backed vinyl tablecloth might not handle that though, they tend to rip pretty easily. If you're so inclined and the tblecloths don't work, there are knit slipcovers on Amazon that work pretty well. I have them on the cushions in our TT, which are cool looking vinyl, which is hideous to sit on in hot weather. The only mistake I made was to order the same size for the back cushions this year as I had for the seat last year. I had to revisit the pin trick because the back cushions aren't as wide. (& the extra big pins from the popups were still in the tool box)