Sequoia towing

collinb

Jul 1, 2014
ex-pat cheesehead in Ohio
I've recently acquired a 2015 Sequoia with the towing package. Has the 4- & 7-pin connectors.
This is enough vehicle for any terrain towing. Should be fine. popup is a 2000 bayside elite. Heavy enough.
We'll be going out this Summer for an extended period. Still deciding where.

Anyway, I've never had to worry about the brake voltage before. What's a good resource for the full story?
(Function and verification of proper voltages.)
There is a harness pigtail in the glove box for trailer braking.

DanZaw

Jun 16, 2021
I've recently acquired a 2015 Sequoia with the towing package. Has the 4- & 7-pin connectors.
This is enough vehicle for any terrain towing. Should be fine. popup is a 2000 bayside elite. Heavy enough.
We'll be going out this Summer for an extended period. Still deciding where.hat

Anyway, I've never had to worry about the brake voltage before. What's a good resource for the full story?
(Function and verification of proper voltages.)
What kind of connector is on the camper? If you have brakes on the camper then you should have a round 7 pin connector, it's made for brakes. If however you have a 4 wire flat connector that does not support brakes and can't be made to. Campers with brakes installed always have a 7 pin round connector.

Kyle R Thorson

Aug 29, 2019
Arizona
I am assuming you mean where to set your brake controller settings? Like mentioned earlier you want to be be able to feel them engaging but not locking up. It really is a feel thing. If you have the built in controller vs aftermarket they can all vary a bit. I tow my Coleman Utah 3500lbs with my 4Runner and an older Drawtite Acutuator II set at 2.5.Never checked the actual voltage. The Sequoia is a larger heavier vehicle and should tow your pop up well.

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
I wouldn't worry so much about the voltages. For the Bayside you'll want the brakes functional. Does your Sequoia towing package include an integrated brake controller? If not, you should purchase an aftermarket controller and hook it up using that pigtail, or a custom pigtail made to connect the brake controller you buy to the Sequoia.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
I would expect the brake controller to put out pulse width modulated battery voltage. The number displayed on the controller is not voltage, its a measure of the activation signal being sent to the magnets.

LilRed

Super Active Member
Jan 9, 2021
Long Island NY
This is most likely the pigtail for connecting a brake controller, which is needed to make trailer brakes work via your 7 pin plug. From there, the settings are unique to the controller, preference, road conditions, and the trailer itself.