Serious Question - Why is everyone so into Cast Iron?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Keith Hawkins, Jan 4, 2017.

1. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Active Member

I don't mind the weight of cast iron. Open fire with my tripod and a dutch oven full of stew or chili is just the best. I also wouldn't trade my cast pie irons for lightweight aluminum no comparison.

2. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

I just got one for my birthday-and since we got our pup we went from camping once a year to 5 or 6!?! I was getting burnt out on hamburgers and hotdogs...I find that having a Dutch oven gives me an exponential number of choices of what to feed the family! My friends were so impressed recently when we were so far off the beaten path my gps couldn't track up I made an upside down pineapple birthday cake in 50mph winds out in Calico Mountains-it will be remembered for years to come [emoji56]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

One thing I like about my cast iron skillets is that I can safely use a metal spatula. I've never been able to make a decent egg over easy with a plastic spatula.

4. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We need to work on your seasoning. I have several egg pans that no spatulas required. In fact you can damage your seasoning by scraping it of with metal utensils.

5. Pirate Queen

Pirate Queen New Member

We only use cast iron at home and will do the same when camping. Food cooks more evenly and quicker, you can use it either on a stovetop or in the oven (or over a campfire), and ours are well-seasoned so a quick wipe down and it is ready for another meal.

For us the health concerns that we get to avoid are a bonus - truth is we are too lazy to scrub dishes and we don't want to deal with different cookware for stovetop versus oven versus camping.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have probably way more cookware than we really need, but we manage to use it all for various tasks. A few things are used very infrequently, but there isn't a good enough substitute for them to get rid of them. At home, we're still using the stainless steel Farberware I bought 30 years ago, our large collection of CI, some of the newer non-stick (Calphalon). I sometimes use the largest Calphalon in lieu of the CI if DH isn't at home, since my cranky hands and wrists don't cope well with the weight of the larger CI. Our CI is all well-seasoned, and stays that way, in spite of the fact that - horrors - we actually wash it with soap and water as needed. We don't want our sweet oven pancake to taste like fried onions, for example.
    Our camping cookware, as I've said, has improved over the years. At some point we decided making do with not-so-great cookware, even though we don't cook as much camping as at home, was not what we wanted to do anymore. The Magma stainless is great, though has a large bottom plate and a lag time greater than CI. We did not buy the set of pots in the non-stick, though the new fry pan we have is ceramic non-stick. We discovered a good non-stick pan for some things was handier than the Magma, so we have Calphalon and a Nordicware non-stick. Nothing is Teflon, nor other products that seem to peel and are a concern.

We cook on gas at home, and the inside LP stove or white gas Coleman camp stove in camp. The burners on the LP don't adjust to as low a simmer as we'd like, so this year we are going to try using a diffuser.

7. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I like to cook for a bunch of people and CI is the way to go. I Like being able to bake, roast, and simmer in one pot. I have made brownies corn bread and cinnamon rolls to name a few. Also have made Pigs in the Corn Field, Sauerbraten, Mountain Man Breakfast, Mexican Lasagna, Pork chops and loins, Stews, Gumbo and Jambalaya I could go on and on. To me it opened a whole new way to cook and endless choices. No longer just steaks and baked potatoes. (Still do them because they taste great)

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Basically, you can either buy a good set of cast iron cookware and still be using it when you die, or you can put out a couple hundred dollars every couple of years (or less) for cookware that will destroy itself with use and poison your family at the same time.

In my personal opinion, the best place to find cast iron cookware is thrift stores. Do some research and know what you are looking for, it's not all created equal. You can get a nice collection for not much money if you are willing to do the work to restore and re-season it (if needed.)

We don't use it camping, other than pie irons, because it's just so heavy to lug around. Even so, it's perfectly suited to camping for cooking on an open fire. You can't use most cookware in that way without ruining it.

9. yetavon

10" Lodge Camp Oven full of Jambalaya simmering away on the stove as I type.

10. Orchid

I forgot to add that your family can use it for many generations after you die, too. [:D]

11. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

I have many cast iron pans that are used often at home and a few pieces in the camper that almost always get used when we camp. Cast iron is easy to cook on and clean if you take the time to learn the proper techniques. My oldest cast iron pan dates back to the pre 1890's and still cooks like a dream. Check out Kent Rollins on You tube for some good onfo.

12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I never cook. My wife is an awesome cook / foodie. She's always making new things. At home she sometimes uses a fancy CI dutch oven (le creusett or something like that) and an old CI skillet.

When we started camping again with the new Aliner I suggested we should try cooking mostly with charcoal just for the fun of it. My wife said 'go for it' so I have been taking the lead. We haven't used CI while out camping yet (been just using the small weber), but the other night at home I pulled out a Lodge CI DO that I bought for camping back when we had our Quicksilver that had never even been used. I made a simple recipe from the Dutch Cooking 101 book that came with the oven and it came out awesome. I was really surprised how easy it was and how just placing the predetermined number of coals on the bottom and the predetermined number of coals on top for the predetermined amount of time would actually work as advertised.

So, as a non-cooking person, I am a fan so far!

Aladin Sane likes this.
  13. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We are not cast iron fanatics, but we do use it when cooking on the fire. We never use it at home, because despite what others tell me, it is a pain to clean and is far from nonstick. I don't want to hear from you cast iron devotees about how I am doing it wrong.

14. yetavon

WOW......Got a feeling it would not do any good to tell you anyway.....

15. Orchid

[LOL]:laugh: You are correct on so many levels here.

It's okay, though. People should not be made to feel inferior for not using a certain type of cookware. Cast iron is a pain in the butt.

I personally use it more at home, than at camping, just for this reason. I don't care for high maintenance anything when camping.

16. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I said zip it.;)

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Cast iron can be high maintenance so I cAn understand how it won't work for some. Getting the seasoning down is a long tedious process and gosh forbid if something were to burn in the pan. Cooking something with high fat content is a pain in the you know what to clean when only using hot water to clean. So for that reason I don't cook with cast iron much at home. I have more time when I camp for that kind of stuff. But cooking for one to three people is also much easier then cooking for a picky group.

18. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Everything yetavon cook in CI for the 2/24-2/26 Florida Rally was delicious! I am looking forward to giving it a try.

Orchid likes this.
  19. yetavon

Thank you Darlin.....

20. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

I'm just starting to get into cast iron, and finally bought my first dutch oven. I've always enjoyed grilling, and would do so over the fire pit when camping. This will now allow me to do more cooking over the fire. I'm even thinking of getting some cast iron frying pans for camping for the same reason. Why cook on the stove when there's a perfectly fine fire to cook over?

jmkay1 likes this.