Serious Question - Why is everyone so into Cast Iron?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Keith Hawkins, Jan 4, 2017.

1. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Active Member

Dutch oven full of chili or stew hanging over an open fire with me sitting in my chair watching over it enjoying a cold one. It doesn't get any better.

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I use a lot of cast iron at home (and wash it with SOAP and hot water because otherwise eww) but my current camping rig doesn't have room for cast iron. I also need something that cools off a little quicker for cleanup--my camper is tiny and we have to wash stuff pretty fast.

(Psst, if soap removes the seasoning from your cast iron, it isn't actually seasoned.)

3. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words...
    CastIronPizza.jpg CastIronBiscuit.jpg

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If my kids were willing to both eat the same thing that came out of one pot (that isn't dessert), I'd be trying to fit in my DO. I can definitely see the point in have a dutch oven on board. Skillets and stuff though? Prefer to use those at home.

Picky kids killed my love for cooking. :(