Set up/take down Time

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by TNTLove, Apr 23, 2012.

How long does it take to set up/take down your PUP & campsite?

1. 15 to 30 minutes?

33 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. 30 to 45 minutes?

52 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. 45 to 60 minutes?

28 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. 60 minutes or more?

20 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Brate

Brate Bravado!

Usually takes me longer to just back in straight than it does to actually set up.. 15-30 Minutes LOL

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Our set up involves me doing the outside stuff, and my wife taking care of everything inside. But on the last trip, she wanted to crank up the roof for some reason. Maybe I'll eventually get her to tow someplace. That would really help me out.

3. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

DH & I need to practice on this also. I'm going to try the scoop method on our next trip, but I know we need to go to an empty parking lot and just practice.

Here's a video of the scoop method I'm referring, too.

THE SCOOP: How to Back up a Towable RV

4. tnebell

tnebell New Member

Hubby and I "practiced" last night setting up for the first time. All told I came up to about 50 minutes or so and that was with DH having to bring DS back to the house for a potty run while I worked in the pup.
    I think we'll get better as we start using it more often. I'm hyper organized so I'm already doing mental lists in my head of what goes where to streamline the process and make things easier. [:D]

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Practice always helps us on any camp set-up. The first trip of the year often has a couple of things that we need to be reminded of. Set-up and take-down go a bit differently for solo trips and ones with both DH and me. I have a mental check-list, but it gets a bit scrambled with 2 sets of hands, plus DH just does a few things differently than I do (sometimes because I have to make adaptations because I can't reach things as easily as he can).
    I haven't yet taken the new pup out with the friend who goes on a trip once a year, or so, with me. Since she does not have as much practice with our equipment as we do, it takes more time for both set-up and take-down because I have to run my mental lists and instruct her as we go. That may improve, since we figure the Cobalt will be the non-backpacking gear of choice for our ladies' trips from now on. [She got to offer a second opinion when I bought the Cobalt last summer, and did the bargaining with the dealer for me, DH never saw the pup until we picked it up.]

6. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

absolutely BRILLIANT! DH does a good job, but it took several tries,,,,,I'm going to show him this vid! thanks for sharing!~

7. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

we've done it 3 times so far,,,,,,,,,,just over half an hour all 3 times. Not half bad,,,,,,but I'll be happier when it's closer to 20 minutes LOL

8. TonyL

TonyL New Member

It takes us 45-60 mins to set up. I have an older pup and everything is manual! There's no lift system, besides us, and the canvas has to be zipped at the corners and tucked into channels. The bunks don't slide out on track either. If it's warm out, I can break a sweat getting setup! I think tear down is a little quicker.

9. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Never really thought about timing ourselves. We take our time setting up ( drink a cold one while doing it) and taking down ( I'm so sad to leave). Injuries can happen if you've been driving a long time and then rush to set up. Besides, to me it's part of camping and I enjoy it. I've watched other folks set up, in a hurry, then get attitudes in the process.....whew! [LOL]

Campit

10. 4MCampers

4MCampers New Member

I'm going to estimate it takes us between 30-45 minutes to setup. DW and I have never officially timed it. We agree that over the years we've become more efficient, but we're no speed demons.

Tear down is another story. Between trying to get packed up, hooking up to TV and getting DD & DS into TV it sometimes feels like an eternity. Just kidding (kinda)....

11. cs300823

cs300823 New Member

It only takes us about 30 minutes max to setup our Pup goes pretty quick !!!

12. corjen2

corjen2 New Member

HAHA, this is one of my favorite thing about out PUP!! We all ways have a couple times a year camp with my in-laws. They are tenters, and bring everything under the sun with them. Im talking hours of set up!!! I get to show up late, set up and still have a beer before they are done!!!!

13. kreich

kreich Member

After unhooking from TV it takes all of 10 minutes or less to relax at the camp ground. 1 minute to set up and 4-5 to organize inside.

14. Shikeagle

Shikeagle Guest

I can get the old girl leveled and roof up in about 20 minutes... but then I need to put in the sides and set up the bed extender... so probably around 45 minute total...

15. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

I haven't really timed it, but under an hour for setup. Usually longer for takedown since we have to get everything that came out easily folded/rolled back up, plus we always shake out the rugs and sweep before closing up.

16. chippers

chippers New Member

Setting up the Pup goes pretty quick. DH and I make a good team.
    But then I enjoy "perfecting" my outdoor kitchen set up. We get it up and functional, but then I decide the stove needs to face the other way so the sun won't be in my eyes while I cook dinner.. or the table needs to be on the other side of the awning... or my DO and little grill aren't quite close enough...oops the cooler is too close to the trash can and not close enough to the TV... Drives the poor man nuts. He's learned to walk away and let me tinker.
    Meanwhile DH and the kids have made up the bunks inside, walked the dog, scouted out most of the campground, and filled the 5 gal water jug.

17. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Great minds think alike, chippers! I do this exact same thing! [LOL]

18. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

It takes me, by myself, approx. 1/2 hour to set up the camper. That's only setting it on the site and getting it up with the door in place. It takes me another hour to "settle in. But I'm camping!
    Taking it down it a whole different story. Since my wife is now with me, it usually takes about 3 hours because we have to put things back in their place. Also because I really don't want to go back to reality.

19. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

Less than 2 minutes. That is why we own an Aliner. Traveling motel room for us.

20. ShackDiva

ShackDiva New Member

Husband and I did a complete set up in less than half an hour for the first time on our driveway Saturday. Take down was a nightmare though - we kept forgetting things. I think it took 2 hours (which included a run to the liquor store.) I did grow up with one of these things and my parents had my brother and I set up so it is like riding a bike some 30 years later!

I have to say it is much better than tent camping which took us two hours to set up. We decided to move up in the world so we can store all of our camping gear in the trailer and have some "amenities".

So far I am very pleased but nervous about maiden voyage. In the next two weeks we still have to replace the license plate holder, fix the cable (it is slightly frayed in one spot) and repack the wheel bearings.