Setting up a sink outside the PUP

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by nkcrouch, Apr 1, 2019.

1. nkcrouch

nkcrouch New Member

Good Evening,
    We have never used the sink inside our PUP mainly because it is in a terrible place--right next to a bunk end. However, I was thinking it would be nice to have running water but not inside. We have 4 kids, and if we used that sink, his pillow would end up covered in toothpaste spit and soapy water. My question is, do any of you use one of the outdoor camping sinks that hooks up to city water? Or is there one that does? It is hard to tell. It would be nice to have. Thanks!

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

No outdoor sink for me... I keep a 5 gallon water jug on the picnic table and then use two wash tubs for dishes.

nkcrouch likes this.
  3. BedHead

BedHead Member

We don’t have water inside the PuP. If we have water at the site we hook up a hose to it and use that with a nozzle for water. If we don’t have water in our site we haul it. Our ‘sink’ is a basin beside the water carrrier on the picnic table.

nkcrouch likes this.
  4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

5. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

With our old PUP, we had the same issue - didn't use the sink because it was small and right next to a bunk end. Then I got a sink table (aka fish cleaning station) similar to @JPBar. We used it with mixed feelings. Was definitely nice to have it OUTSIDE the PUP and not worry about splashing. Or winterizing. Plus we could put it wherever we wanted on our campsite. However the sink basin was very small and hard to do dishes. Also it was counter-height so it was hard for our little kids to brush teeth. We had to bring a small plastic stepstool. So that was two more things we had to cram in to our van, which was already tightly packed! In the end, we got a larger PUP with a more usable sink. (we got it for many reasons, not just the sink! :eek: )

nkcrouch likes this.
  6. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

It may be excessive but we've been working on a lightweight tonguebox that goes on the front of our camper that has an integrated sink. Our camper is far to small to have one inside as it's mainly just a king size bed so this was our solution so far, we are hoping that it adds a bit of storage and work space outside the camper. Would post some pictures but I don't have my laptop currently, so this post will have to do!

https://www.tinycamperpro.com/2019/03/31/an-outdoor-kitchen-for-the-tiny-camper-part-3/

We hook it up to a 10 gallon reservoir as we camp without water a lot and just fill up prior to the trip. Then just the onboard batteries to power an on demand pump and off we go!

nkcrouch likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow, really nice work. How heavy is it? Where exactly is it mounted? You cant tease us with a few photos!

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

A thing to mention when using whether the indoor or outdoor sink, you will need to find a way of collecting the dirty water. Personally I just used a dish tub as I really didn’t want to find room for all the extra equipment. I could then dump the dirty water in a separate bucket to bring to the dump station at a later time. If you have an outdoor shower hook up on your camper you can utilize that as your faucet. Maybe buy a cheap table to put the dish tub on beside it. I’m used to my tent camping days, so don’t even bother using a faucet just warm water up in a kettle.

nkcrouch likes this.
  9. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I plan to mount it up on the camper this weekend but it will be mounted up on the tongue, hence why keeping the tongue weight down was so important! Without it being loaded I believe it is 70lbs? I honestly could have gone lighter and regret how much wood support I used. It would have been plenty strong with less. Probably could have been closer to 60 lbs. My goal was to keep it below 100lbs fully loaded. It's not like heavy objects will go in there. The trailer itself only has about 5% tongue weight largely because it was designed to be towed with motorcycles! So for me the added tongue weight would be an improvement in towability and won't add as much weight to the axle. When completed I'll have to make a post on the forum here with more details and a final weigh in before it goes on. May look to lightening it in the future.

I also plan to carry one of those small 5 gallon flimsy plastic collapsible containers for grey water to bring down to the dump station as well.

To keep it in mind:
    A harbor freight steel tongue box: 46 lbs
    Aluminum TOngue Box Similar Size: 25 lbs
    Plastic Tongue Box Similar Size: 25 lbs

I think what may be nice for the OP is just a faucet handle that attachs to their camper and a hose can be connected to it. Then a simple strong wash pan could be hung of the camper like a grill would? Just a brainstorm I guess haha. Best of luck.

nkcrouch and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats not as heavy as it looks lol. Good luck with it!

11. nkcrouch

nkcrouch New Member

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I see there are any number of creative ways to handle this.