Setting up for just a night on road trips

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by NEKPOPUP, Jul 21, 2017.

1. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

how many people here take road trips and set up for just one night at a time and pop back down to travel? seems like a lot of work for one night.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

DW and I have been struggling with that question too. We'd like to go out to Yellowstone, but it does seem like a lot of work to stop for a night on the road.

On my last campout, I was looking at all of the tasks we perform during set up, trying to figure out the best way to reduce labor for a single night. What I came up with was that we could do a minimal setup - just pull out the beds and drop the door - in about 15 minutes. No awning, keep the bed made and keep the kitchen in the back of the truck where we could choose to use it, or not. With the proper planning and organization, I really don't think it would be all that difficult, but I'm anxious to hear additional opinions.

3. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Most of my trips to the U.S. Rallies include a stopover. Last year, I had an 8' popup and, like eoleson1^^, I did minimum setup on those nights. The only real downside was if I had to break camp with wet canvas, but it was up again to dry out later in the day.

I now have an Aliner which allows me to have a 1-night stopover at a Walmart, Sam's, Cabela's, etc., although I prefer SPs with good hiking trails. Fortunately, my time is flexible; so I've also started to include some 2-night stays enroute to my destination campground.

I usually get an early start, so have a cold breakfast (muffin/fruit/yoghurt) at my first Rest Stop along the way.

4. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

We are going to Yellowstone next year and plan to do a one-niter on the way. If you just pop it up to sleep and leave all the "schmutz" packed up (Camp Chairs, etc) it will take no time at all. Park, level, raise roof and pull out bunk ends. zip and Velcro. Attach door and sleep. Leave the banquet down and beds made. I bet one could be sleeping 15 minutes after parking. Reverse in the AM and you could be on your way in the same amount of time.

If you book a hotel room, by the time you go in and check in, schlep your stuff to the room and get settled, you could have the pup up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :p

Orchid likes this.
  5. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

We did it on our trip to Yellowstone last year. Twice on the way out and twice again on the way back. At our last stop at a state park in Oregon, my partner was looking wistfully at the new travel trailer that pulled in next to us, with automatic everything. :) But, really, I think that was more that we were so close to home after two weeks away, and the setting up/taking down was getting a bit old.

But, what's the alternative? Paying the bucks to stay in a motel? If we had done that on our last road trip, we would have missed two wonderful state parks in Idaho. And, really, by the time we find a motel on our route, check in and get settled, it's really no different time-wise than just setting up the PUP.

For us, it's about a half hour from start to finish. Just part of the deal, really, as far as we're concerned. :)

Orchid likes this.
  6. matwiyj

matwiyj Active Member

We do it regularly, but then we usually try to keep our driving days to 4-6 hours on the road. Our procedure is similar to eoleson, minimal setup without awning or camp chairs, and depending on when we will arrive at camp sometimes a drive-through dinner to save a bit of time. One night stops are nothing to worry about if you are good at setup and take-down!

7. chambo

chambo Active Member

The trouble I would have if doing this in my PUP is that the floor is packed with tons of stuff. A big part of setup is schlepping all the bins/chairs/stuff off the floor to get to the bed. I suppose it would be easier if I had somewhere else for all that stuff to ride.

Erykah likes this.
  8. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

That's a good point.

For us, we have it down to a science now. We don't have a huge amount of storage space for big stuff in our PUP, but what we do have is my responsibility when we get the top up. Since it's only the two of us, the smaller bunk gets used at this point for a repository for "stuff". The extra sleeping bags, small aluminum table, jackets, etc. Once the top is up and everything is stabilized, he's not allowed in the PUP until everything is "put away". It's not the most fun of jobs, especially if it's only for one night, but I've gotten my system down, so I think it works as well as it can. :)

Fortunately, we do have space for our chairs and other big stuff in our truck, and my partner is pretty good with packing- so if we're planning on only staying overnight, he's usually pretty good at keeping the necessities handy.

I think, for us, it's really an "it is what it is" sort of situation. It definitely gets old on the road trips, but with some advance planning and working out a "system", we've been able to make it tolerable.

Erykah likes this.
  9. campagain

campagain Active Member

I just got my pup at the end of June and every trip done with the kids so far has been a single nighter, for the following reasons:

1. I'm a single Dad so have to monitor expenses
    2. We have a dog that we leave at home bc I am not sure how she will do sleeping in the pop up. She'll prob have us up all night.
    3. The kids like camping, but they are more for the pool and the playground at the campgound than the true camping piece. If those other items weren't available, I think they would get bored.
    4. I do not yet know if my pup's roof leaks, and I don't want to find out just yet!!

10. campagain

campagain Active Member

Dupe

11. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

i'm not sure I would plan a road trip that required consecutive one night stays. Maybe one on the way to a nice permanent spot and one on the way back. I like to get settled in when i go camping.

soft 17 and Aneemal33 like this.
  12. DanLee

DanLee Member

I traveled from VA to Los Angeles last summer, 7 nights going out and 14 coming back. Only stayed in motels two nights. It takes me about 20 minutes to unhook and set up our camper and about the same to break it down for towing. After a few days, one gets into a rhythm where there is little wasted motion.

13. Mausinn

Mausinn Member

DW and I find that the best way for us to handle a one night stay is to plan well ahead and stop early enough to enjoy the time after the set up. We hate to travel for an extended time period and then rush to set up and hit the sack. We find that if we stop late afternoon we can relax and take the stress off of a one night stay. Of course we are both retired and have no hard set time table to get from one place to the next, and that may be a major factor for some.

14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

One nite or ten nights setup and take down is the same. About ten minutes.

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I could set my Apache up in under 10 minutes if it was empty. However, having it full of gear was a whole different matter. That made the process much longer. In 8 years of ownership we only did one 1 nighter because it was such a pain.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We've done it, and both of our pups were small so had lots of stuff on the floor and under the dinette, since there was no place to stash clothing duffels, etc. in cupboards. We planned things so most of the items we used on longer stops were packed out of the way, in the TV or the roof top carrier. We could be in pretty basic mode in 15 minutes, as long as the site was level or it wasn't raining, but both popups required a bit more work for sleeping (we could not leave bedding on the bunk in either one). We could not leave the pup hitched to the TV, so that added time for set up and take down.
    It worked, and not too badly at that, at least until my back got too cranky to do all the work for a one night stop (actually to do some of the work for any stop).

17. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

It is sometimes hard to find a motel with room to park a trailer, and it seems to take time to drag the luggage in, so we often set up camp for just one night, sometimes we can plan stops with two nights and have a day to see things in the area on the way to our destination. A nice way to travel if we have the time.

Aneemal33 and kitphantom like this.
  18. Carlsbad

Carlsbad Member

I have an A-Frame with the lift. I look for places I can stay that have a nice restaurant close by.

When I'm travelling for fun and on the road, nothing beats having a good meal and a couple of cold beers and then walking back to the camper and crashing.

Last year I stopped at a Walmart. There was a Red Lobster right in the parking lot. I parked away from the lights, had dinner, and was asleep by 9pm. Woke up early and headed out.

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Same here - I always seem to get a room at the far end of the farthest hall, lugging my pillows, clothing, and some things that I would not leave int he parking lot in TV or camper. Add in the fact that we've tailored the beds in each camper to my bad back, so with the pillows for other joints, I sleep better there than in any hotel room. All of that adds up to camping overnight being worth it to me. It was even in the days when we used KOA cabins - at least the vehicle was close to the cabin.
    [The first overnight in the TT, when I didn't have to unhitch, crank up the roof, or make up the bed was a big plus. I can't drive the long days that I used to do, but having less set-up helps to make up for an extra night or two on the road.]

20. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When we went to Yellowstone, we did a one-night set-up on the way. Then we stayed two days in Cody, WY and four days in West Yellowstone, MT. On the way home, we stayed one night in a hotel, because the campgrounds were all full by the time we got there.

We're planning a trip to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Mesa Verde this fall. We're going to do hotels on the way and possibly a night or two on the way home. But I travel with my job and will be able to use loyalty points to save a bunch of money.