Setting up for just a night on road trips

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by NEKPOPUP, Jul 21, 2017.

1. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

When we did long distance trip with our 2007 highwall Fleetwood Sequoia, we did have some one night stops. We just set it up every night regularly - treat set-up & break-down are part of the fun on camping trip and keep recording the time show how fast I did everytime whenever possible.

2. AFramed!

AFramed! Member

We camp single nights often. Just to be camping. Many times schedules mean we arrive in the evening and are gone before 9-10am. That said we have an Aframe and complete setup (backing in, leveling (Anderson Leveler) stabilizers, hook ups, walls and camp chairs is 15 max. But there is still prep time at home checking air pressure in tires loading fridge closing up the house etc. We know unfortunately just how short life can be for some. We love to camp even for a close to home single overnight in the woods. We do it often and never consider the time spent a waste. Probably an unfair comparison to a cross country trip but we have done singles into neighboring states. Life's short ...... camp more![:D]

Lloyd B likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We live in the ABQ metro area, the nearest places we want to camp are about 2 hours away. That makes an overnight, just to camp, not really practical. I did sleep in the TT at the KOA a couple of miles away, while we had the house re-roofed, but that doesn't really count!
    If we still lived in either of our hometowns, we'd have places to go for an overnight trip.

4. AFramed!

AFramed! Member

kitphantom - Totally agree! We have a 1.5 hr max radius we will venture for our single nighters. [ALPU][PUT]

5. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

OK, the second night is always better, but we have done lots of one night stops on our trips. The setup is minimal and it helps to have the camper floor clear. That, of course, means packing less gear. I know it is easier with the A-frame camper, but the same philosophy works with any camping trip.

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

We do a lot of 1-2 night stays. That's why, now that it is just the 2 of us, we settled on the Aliner this time around. I look at it as a comfortable place to spend the nights/mornings while exploring various places. It's literally just a few minutes to get all set up. Much less time than it would take to check into a hotel. ;) The roof is raised in 30 seconds. I travel 100% for work, so hotels are typically not what I consider fun at all (unless it is a high end resort with my wife along) - but I typically prefer a nice quiet and wooded state park if we're just doing a road trip.

7. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I can be sleep ready in 20 minutes and not even unhook from parking. I did a 23 day camping road trip last summer, I had a few 1 night stops!

8. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

This was the whole reason I downsized to an A-frame Aliner. Popup/popdown is just a 5 minute chore, no need to unhook. In fact, we ate in the trailer on the side of the road for lunch. Love it.

NothingsChocking likes this.
  9. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

Fast and light, we call it. We keep the camp set up to a minimum, leave most things packed up, and pop-up and down with little fuss.

10. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I found that anything less than two nights wasn't worthwhile for me, the packing and unpacking took it's toll probably because we always brought a lot of stuff when we had our pup. We realized that we needed a TT and am happy to say we love it. We can sleep, eat and have washroom facilities without having to set it all up. With the slide in, we only lose the dinette and couch.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have done many one night stops. Most of the time we don't even disconnect from the TV. We level and put down the stabs. We level with blocks. If the trailer is lower then the ball we and blocks under each wheel to to bring it up and add the additional blocks for left to right. If the tongue is low we rise it with the tongue jack and block s for side-to-side. Many times we don't even hook up to electric and run off the battery, but if there is water we hook up to it. Most of the time we do not unpack the stuff under our table. We never set up the awning or outside mat.

12. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

The DW and I have never popped for 1 night while road tripping. Usually because we are only driving 2 days and start late the 1st day and drive until well past dark. So we go to a motel. For the "2017 Great American Eclipse" we are heading to MO and plan to sleep in the TV for the night at a rest stop or Walmart. We bought a full size air-mattress for the Acadia, fits great but the 13" thick mattress puts us pretty close to the ceiling! But it does even out the bumps /gaps in the folded down seats. We hope to be able to fit the gear from the TV into the front seats / roof top clamshell / inside the door of the camper. I'm worried about the heat / humidity in the TV overnight.

13. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It's Missouri in August. Guaranteed it will be hot and humid in the car, especially if you have the windows rolled up.

DigitalGuru likes this.
  14. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

True! This will be on the way there and maybe back, but it will most likely be in central IL, which will still be miserable. We have a remote starter on the TV w/auto air, but it will only work twice before we have to put the key in the ignition. I'm hoping to have the moonroof and windows cracked too, but this could be rough!

15. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

We did two one night stops on the way to South Dakota and one one night stop on the way back, three total. It takes us about 20 minutes to have it up and the air conditioner running ready for sleep. We don't bother to hook up water or get camp chairs out. We are just there to sleep enough to get back on the road the next day. It wasn't fun, but we could not have gone to South Dakota any other way.

16. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

We've done a number of 1 night stop overs. With kids it can be a little more cumbersome since we have bikes on top and those have to come off before cranking 'er up. I've gotten our overnight minimum set up and tear down to about 20 minutes. The biggest drawback to the pup in my mind is the difficulty in cheap Wal-Mart, Sam's, Cabella's overnights. I just would not feel safe in a pup doing that. So I figured spending the $25 - $35 to do a quick campground overnight now and again is still cheaper than buying a $10,000 - $20,000 TT and then have to get a larger TV.

17. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

We have only had our PUP for a short time and had 1 run with it, but I am mostly thinking our camping is going to be within 2 hours of home so most of our camping trips are going to be Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. But I am not going to rule out ever taking a "vacation" with it for a week or more.