shademaker awning purchase

campingranny

Feb 14, 2007
Elizabeth, PA
Hello all, I am considering purchasing a shademaker supreme bag awning. I cannot find out how the awning after it is rolled up is secured inside the bag. If anyone here has one of these awnings can you let me know? Is is tied or does it have a velcro strap. It looks to me like there isn't any way to secure it other that just zipping the awning closed after it is rolled up. I used to have a carefree campout and I loved it. It had a velcro strap, so easy to use. When I got this palomino it is a dometic awning. It's always been a pain to tie by yourself, and the locking poles don't lock anymore and the bag is shredding apart. Any info would be appreciated.

Del Kelso

Jun 11, 2020
Saint Charles, Missouri
after years of wrestling built on PUP awnings, which are like wrestling a bear to put up and take down, i just bought an EURMAX EZ Pop Up Canopy (premium). these are commercial quality canopies, the poles and cover are much heavier duty than the cheap versions the box stores sell. it is bulky and heavy, but i may never use the PUPS awning again. AND repair parts and covers are readily available if something ever breaks. sure, this cost a lot, but i'm very careful with my gear and expect this to last 10 years or more. can't tell you how many of the cheap EZ Ups i have seen in dumpsters after storms.

https://www.eurmax.com/premium-10x10-pop-up-canopy.html

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Hello all, I am considering purchasing a shademaker supreme bag awning. I cannot find out how the awning after it is rolled up is secured inside the bag. If anyone here has one of these awnings can you let me know? Is is tied or does it have a velcro strap. It looks to me like there isn't any way to secure it other that just zipping the awning closed after it is rolled up. I used to have a carefree campout and I loved it. It had a velcro strap, so easy to use. When I got this palomino it is a dometic awning. It's always been a pain to tie by yourself, and the locking poles don't lock anymore and the bag is shredding apart. Any info would be appreciated.

You are correct. You roll up the awning and zip the bag closed. I had one and never had a problem.

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
We will soon be sewing a new cover onto our attached awning. Thanks for the mention of Velcro straps. I like the idea of added support of some Velcro’s straps, so I’ll see if we can ‘sew in’ three straps to hold the awning ‘rolled up’ so the bag & zipper are not supporting all the weight from bouncing. Heck, I always like to over design stuff, so this Velcro addition is perfect. LOL.

campingranny

Feb 14, 2007
Elizabeth, PA
Thanks to all who replied. This was my suspicion. My fear is the zipper failing while in travel, not just the put away task. If there isn't one I will probably add it to the bag.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
The only drawback with Velcro straps is tension while rolled up. My awning came with Velcro from the factory. It is super convenient to keep it secured when rolling it up. However, I have noticed that the keder strip has pulled away from the slot in all the spots where the Velcro is sewn in place. I suspect that the weight of the awning is concentrated in those spots, resulting in pulling it away. It has gotten a little more pronounced since I had to remove it completely and resew the bag, so I plan to get some small stainless screws like what are used at the ends, and drive them through the strip as well to help stabilize it.

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
The only drawback with Velcro straps is tension while rolled up. My awning came with Velcro from the factory. It is super convenient to keep it secured when rolling it up. However, I have noticed that the keder strip has pulled away from the slot in all the spots where the Velcro is sewn in place. I suspect that the weight of the awning is concentrated in those spots, resulting in pulling it away. It has gotten a little more pronounced since I had to remove it completely and resew the bag, so I plan to get some small stainless screws like what are used at the ends, and drive them through the strip as well to help stabilize it.
Good idea on screws to support the Velcro’s places. How many Velcro’s were inside your awning bag? I can see that straps would place most of the support At those strap locations as opposed to equally spread equally thru the entire keder.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Good idea on screws to support the Velcro’s places. How many Velcro’s were inside your awning bag? I can see that straps would place most of the support At those strap locations as opposed to equally spread equally thru the entire keder.

On mine there are 4 sets of straps, roughly evenly spaced.

fronsm

First time owner at 67
Jul 1, 2020
Indiana
Any other options for awnings? I have arthritis in my thumbs and camp alone. It is very painful to unroll, and more painful to roll up, try to Velcro, etc. This weekend the clip in the roof that holds the horizontal decided to come out, after I'd attached the rail, and hit me on the forehead. I've got to find a better solution!!

Last edited:

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Then you are limited. Maybe a tarp, and fold it up instead uf rolling it up. They make a homemade fastner to put it in the existing rail. Then you would need poles and guy lines.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
@fronsm ...I made my own awning with a tarp. I personally used marine rope and the tarp folded over it with cement glue and gorilla tape as extra measure. I don’t suggest this option if you have arthritis it is very time consuming and a ton of finger work to slide it on every trip. The awning hangers in the above post may be a better option, but there is still finger work to feed them on the track, though I suspect once they are on they should slide a whole lot easier than mine And coming off easier. Guylines wouldn’t be terribly hard if you can buy those rope ratchet things to avoid having to tie knots assuming you can push the lever down to release the rope. I bought tarp poles off of amazon. I measured the hight of my roof so I got ones tall enough. The ones I bought have a push button to lock in place so maybe if you can find one that is a slide and lock may be a better option for your hands. Just throwing this out there as another option , perhaps a canopy combined with bed risers or wooden blocks to raise the canopy past your door. Just not sure how your hands would be able to handle putting a canopy up by yourself. The canopy I have is not easy by ones self and a lot of push buttons to release. It’s a shame the popup can’t handle the new awnings found on travel trailers. That would be the best bet for you.

fronsm

First time owner at 67
Jul 1, 2020
Indiana
@fronsm ...I made my own awning with a tarp. I personally used marine rope and the tarp folded over it with cement glue and gorilla tape as extra measure. I don’t suggest this option if you have arthritis it is very time consuming and a ton of finger work to slide it on every trip. The awning hangers in the above post may be a better option, but there is still finger work to feed them on the track, though I suspect once they are on they should slide a whole lot easier than mine And coming off easier. Guylines wouldn’t be terribly hard if you can buy those rope ratchet things to avoid having to tie knots assuming you can push the lever down to release the rope. I bought tarp poles off of amazon. I measured the hight of my roof so I got ones tall enough. The ones I bought have a push button to lock in place so maybe if you can find one that is a slide and lock may be a better option for your hands. Just throwing this out there as another option , perhaps a canopy combined with bed risers or wooden blocks to raise the canopy past your door. Just not sure how your hands would be able to handle putting a canopy up by yourself. The canopy I have is not easy by ones self and a lot of push buttons to release. It’s a shame the popup can’t handle the new awnings found on travel trailers. That would be the best bet for you.
Thanks for all your thoughtful insight. If the darn thing could just be folded the other way, I'd have a better chance LOL!

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
Thanks for all your thoughtful insight. If the darn thing could just be folded the other way, I'd have a better chance LOL!
Thule and Fiamma both make box type awnings that have a manual crank handle. You don't have to fold anything and they're operable while the camper is up. The price isn't cheap though. The thile version starts @$900. The fiamma version is @$500-600 depending on the size.

https://www.etrailer.com/Car-Awning...n3H2feVBZsl9M5uIYI8IJnM3spe0GS3EaAvucEALw_wcB
https://www.fiammausa.com/en/fiammastore-en/manual-awnings/f35pro-1832290489.html

CamperChrissy

Nov 25, 2016
Chicago suburbs
I recently got that awning and there are no straps or velcros to hold the rolled up awning in place. It's fine if you have two people, however I would struggle to do it myself. Part of the reason is that the metal header (the main bar that runs across the front of the awning, where the legs fold up in to it) is pretty heavy. It's about 5 inches by 2 inches (guessing from memory).

One tip is to set up the awning BEFORE you pop up your camper. We get the camper parked and level, then roll out the awnings and set up the legs and braces. Then crank up the camper. Similar, when we are leaving we do the awning AFTER we have cranked the camper down. Ours is a highwall and about 5.5 feet high when closed, so you may want your camper half-popped to do it.